• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tools shortkeys don´t select tools permanently

Explorer ,
Sep 29, 2022 Sep 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys - recently a weired issue made it´s way into my system.

Sometimes (and this is recently quite often) it happens that I for instance have selected the Move tool and press B for switching to the brush (or even versvise) and then Photoshop switches the tool, but as soon as I release the B Key, the tool jumps back to the previous selected one. Sometimes I have to press the Key several times in order to stay at my prefered tool, but sometimes it simply does not switch and I have to use the mouse and klick with the cursor onto the tool. 
This is really crazy and is not only limited to the Move tool or the Brush - basically all tools there. I can´t recreate it unfortunately. Did anyone else experience something like that recently?

Im on Mac OS 12.4 // Mac Pro 2019 with 256 Gig Ram and an AMD Pro Vega II 32GB
PS is 23.5.1

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Does it help if you disable this option in preferences

2022-09-29 14_54_43-Window.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your quick respsponse Ged. I was not aware of that setting and will check that out. Will report back if that issue still comes up. Thanks and have a great day.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, this is a function of Photoshop, Spring Loaded tools, that allows, with a long press, to switch momentarily to another tool, and come back to the previous one.

For instance, paint, then hold R to Rotate the canvas, release and continue painting, similar on what you can do with the Space bar to move the document, or the Command(mac)/Control(PC) key to select an element.

Try to hold the H key, to get the Bird's Eye View, move the target location, release, you still have your previous tool, and can continue painting/cloning, etc.

The command that Ged pointed out allows to change the lenght of time during which this behavior occurs, or to disable the function altogether. (Besides for the space bar, CTRL/CMD or even H for Bird's Eye View...)

[edited for clarity]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mate,

and thank you for explaining this in detail. This totally makes sense, if it would be always. But as soon as I start Photoshop, I am able to work as usual. Somehow this thing gets activated then. I did not get what you mean by “The command Get pointed allows to change the length of time where this behavior occurs, or to disable the function altogether”? So to me it sounds like there must be a shortcut to activate and deactivate this feature then? Am I correct?

Thank you for your time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 30, 2022 Sep 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Howdy, I've been auto corrected, I edited the post higher for clarity.

If you go to Photoshop>Preferences>Tools you'll get that panel.

(Or, to mesmerize anyone looking at you, type CMD+K for the preferences then CMD+4, for the fourth tab, then Tab to activate the first numerical value)

There you can either deactivate that useful function, by un-checking the preference, or tweak when it kicks in, by changing the value that shows below it when the preference is checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines