Tooltips/Rich tooltips not working

New Here ,
Jan 09, 2021 Jan 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My tooltips were working when I first installed PS, but have stopped for no apparent reason.  I have followed what advice I can find online - the relevant boxes are checked in Preferences and I have logged out and back in, but no joy.

I gather some people find these annoying, but as an absolute beginner to PS they are invaluable, so any help to get them back would be appreciated!  I am using the newest version of PS on a newish Macbook Pro.

Cheers, Ann

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Community Professional , Jan 09, 2021 Jan 09, 2021
If you've turned on Rich Tooltips in the Tools section of the Preferences and that didn't work, you might want to reset your Preferences.

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you've turned on Rich Tooltips in the Tools section of the Preferences and that didn't work, you might want to reset your Preferences.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2021 Jan 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resetting preferences seems to have worked - thanks.  It's all very confusing, but I guess I'll get used to it with practice!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2022 Apr 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i did it , but it dosn't work

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Myrna,

Resetting Preferences didn't work.

After updating to 23.3

I went to Preferences>Tools> unchecked Show Tooltips and Show Rich Tooltips

Then to Preferences> General> Reset Preferences on Quit.

Then clicked on OK to close the window

Then went to File> Exit to close the program.

I did this several times

When I reopened the program, not only was the problem was still there but although I did not reselect them, the boxes that I unchecked - Show Tooltips and Show Rich Tooltips were checked.

On my last attempt, I unchecked Show Rich Tooltips only (not show Tooltips) and restarted.

When I checked the tool settings, the Show Rich Tooltips box remained unchecked.

The RT video did not display when pointing to a tool.

But after I returned to Tools and selected Show RT, then pointed to a the Eyedropper tool, the video was scrambled.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"the relevant boxes are checked in Preferences"

You didn't specify which boxes you checked. In addition to what Myra said, if you mean the regular Tooltips, go to Preferences > Interface > Show Tooltips.

~ Jane

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had ticked 'show tooltips' and 'show rich tooltips'.  Resetting preferences as Myra suggested seems to have worked.  Thanks for replying.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Resetting preferences as Myra suggested seems to have worked."

Hi @Dominic 5EAA 

I've marked @Myra Ferguson 's answer correct.

~ Jane

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines