• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trying to erase to history but it's showing white PSD

Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2023 Jul 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I learned a trick of duplicating a layer after masking it and then merging the images together so then I can erase to history the image if it deleted something I didn't want deleted. I've been using this and bringing the photo back but recently when I hold alt+erase to bring the image back, it's showing white. It was fixed for a little while but I must've hit something on accident because now it's not working again. Please help!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Kendra304558531shj 

Hi Kendra, 

Without seeing your entire image including the Layers and History panels, we can only guess. The first guess is that you are on a Background layer, which does not support transparency.

The second guess is that you have a layer mask and meant to paint on it, but are painting on the image instead.

janee_0-1689866422026.png

Please show a better screenshot. Thank you!

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for that. Here are more screenshots. On this image I want to bring back the transparent part to fill it in but it's just filling in with white. I tried it on another photo and it worked but sometimes it doesn't so I'm not sure why it's 50/50 on if it'll work or not.

hole.PNG

Photo with the transparent hole

2 layers.PNG

Duplicated layer then merged it 

hole and layers.PNG

When i hold alt+erase to bring that part back, it's just painting white.

Thanks for your help!

 

  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Kendra304558531shj 

Hi Kendra,

What step have your targeted in your History panel?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's working now but do you happen to have an idea on what could have gone wrong and how I could correct it next time? It didn't work for weeks on end but of course when I finally post in here it works lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Kendra

I'm glad it's working for you now. Most likely you didn't have a source set in your History panel. You need to set the source after you duplicate the layer and mask.

If it fails again, include the Layers and History panels in your sceenshot.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines