Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Turn off Anti Alias for Pen Tool

Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2023 Nov 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I have tried to turn off anti-alias for the pen tool but no matter what I do it doesnt work. Anti-alias is turned of for everything else but not when I create a stroke with the pen tool. I have removed anti alias on both make selection and fill path. Plese see attached. Its making me CRAZY!! 🙂

Thanks in advance!

/Dejan

Skärmavbild 2023-11-12 kl. 21.57.11.pngSkärmavbild 2023-11-12 kl. 21.56.53.pngSkärmavbild 2023-11-12 kl. 21.54.23.pngSkärmavbild 2023-11-12 kl. 21.54.14.png

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Edit > Preferences > Tools, make sure the 'Snap Vector Tools and Transforms to Pixel Grid' box is checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

Thanks but that seems not to be the issue since it was already checked 🙂Skärmavbild 2023-11-13 kl. 04.36.00.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The line is perfect as long as it is the first line drawn and it is straight. The minute it changes direction it gets anti-aliased. Maybe this is some sort of clue 🙂Skärmavbild 2023-11-13 kl. 04.51.39.pngSkärmavbild 2023-11-13 kl. 04.51.55.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same goes for the elipse tool and the line selection tool that also are anti aliasing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pixels cannot be semi-filled. A pixel is either filled or empty, but it can be semi-transparent. If your line crosses a pixel at half or one third, it will display the pixel at 50% or 33% opacity. That's what anti-aliasing is for. If you draw a single pixel line and it crosses pixels at half, third, fourth, and so on, how can you display the line to look like a single pixel straight line?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 13, 2023 Nov 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you are seeing is the Stroke of a Shape layer. What you want is a garden variety Work Path

Semaphoric_0-1699890126431.png

The Stroke and Fill of Shape layers is different from the menu commands of the same names. Shape layers are  rendered at the time of display, while the menu commands directly alter the image itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Semaphoric, 

I dont quite follow regarding the "garden variety Work Path" ? Do I just choose Path instead of shape in the options menue on top? When I do so I cant choose color of the stroke (or can I). With Shape I can choose any color I want on the Now I need to define pixels of the path and fill it with the paint bucket. It begins as anti aliased here as well but after a few fills I manage to get fully filled pixels so this method works but its a process and i dont have full control since the paint bucket paints a couple of pixels outside of the path (even if anti alias is turned off). 

Sorry for all stupid questions... 

/Dejan 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to be on a pixel layer to fill and stroke via the menu commands. If you run them on a Shape layer, you see this:

Semaphoric_0-1699915713790.png

You set the color with the current foreground or background colors when you run the command on an ordinary layer with an active Path. Unlike Shapes, the changes are pemanent, not editable. Shapes seem to always have anti-aliasing, but they remain editable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A path is a mathematical line, not just pixels. Paths are not aliased or anti-aliased. When you fill or stroke a path, each pixel (normally square) must be a single color and opacity. Anti-aliasing creates "fill-in" pixels that make a fill/stroke look straight rather than stair-stepped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 14, 2023 Nov 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What is the end goal with the path? You have the option set to shape. You can switch to path - which is independent of a layer. You can then choose to fill the path or add a stroke later.

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Online Courses Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines