• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Turning a circle into a wrapped ring shape (not masking!)

New Here ,
Jan 18, 2022 Jan 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to turn a simple letterbox-shaped image into a oval ring-shaped loop (but with 2 straight sides), and I can't figure out how to do it! Can anyone help please?

Here's the original image:

Original.jpg

And here's what it needs to be:

Circular-image.jpg

Obviously they're different darknesses (due to an overlay placed on the ring-shaped version), and please ignore the redaction black boxes! The image repeats once (blended together) but I just can't figure out how to make it fit this kind of shape. A circular ring - fine - rectangle > circle polar co-ordinates - but this shape where the image is straight on the two long sides is beyond me! Any ideas would be really, really gratefully received! I'm trying to do this in Photoshop 2022 on MacOS, by the way...

Thanks!

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Puppet Warp or Illustrator’s Envelope Distort might provide options for this. 

Another option might be splitting up the panorama and threat the two curves as two halves for Polar Coordinates, but that seems pretty convoluted. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After making the ring via Polar Coordinates, set a horizontal guide on the center of the ring. Use the Single Row Marquee tool snapped to the guide, and Layer > New > Layer Via Cut. Select one of the (now separate) halves of the ring, drag it away from the other, and Layer > New > Layer Via Cut. Free Transform the Single Row layer to fit the space in between.

Semaphoric_0-1642517511020.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

One thing about the method I posted earlier is the sharp boundary between the stretched and round portions. Plus, the stretched portions look, well, stretched. If you wanted the image to "flow" around the straight sides, it would likely require planning how to cut it up properly, to modify and reassemble, as c.pfaffenbichler said.

When I first saw your Example pic, I thought it looked like the sort of thing Illustrator could do in an instant with its Art Brushes. Adobe had "Raster Art Brushes", if you will, in Adobe Sketch, but Sketch won't work anymore. As a mobile app, it relied on a touch interface; you would trace with your finger, and the brush graphic would fill the stroke. I still have several of these brushes in my Creative Cloud library they are orphans.

I think these would be great in Photoshop for stroking Paths, but they would probably be awkward to use with the Brush and a pointing device (mouse/tablet)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines