• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

type mask tool problem

New Here ,
Jun 16, 2024 Jun 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I try to use horizontal or vertical type tool but it turns out like that. According to what my teacher shows to me, i guess it shouldnt happened like it. I cant move the writing. Is it wrong or it is how it should be? I'm really not sure so can someone help me about it please?

Ekran Resmi 2024-06-16 23.55.40.png

 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to ask program questions in the forum for the program you are using
To ask in the forum for your program please start at https://community.adobe.com/
Moving from Using the Community (which is about the forums) to the correct forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click and hold on the T in the tools panel and select the Horizontal Type Tool.

tt.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i can choose and write it but it happens like the picture i post. i cant move my writing and doesent writes as a masking way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you click and hold on the T in the Tools panel how many choices are shown?

There should be four as in the screenshot i posted.

tth.png

You want the Horizontal Type Tool

The Horizontal Type Mask Tool is what is selected in your screenshot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, it is like that. but my problem is, i can't use type mask tool. when my teacher shows how it is supposed to be, mine definitely looks different from his. i cant use it properly. i'm not sure if i cant make it or something's wrong with it. im trying to understand but thanks for it anyways.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without seeing your instructor's screen we can't be sure. When you select the Type Mask tool and start typing, it shows up like a rubylith:

Semaphoric_0-1718584489615.png

While it is like this, you can ediit and move it around like a regular Type layer. Once you commit the type by clicking the check mark in the Option Bar, it becomes a selection, and can no longer be edited as Type.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2024 Jun 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when i type somethinh, it doesen't appear to me like yours. i can't see the red part and i cant use it properly. it  seems like that that. 

Ekran Resmi 2024-06-17 11.54.15.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 18, 2024 Jun 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

when my teacher shows how it is supposed to be

By @y4sem1n

Tell your teacher that professionals never use the Type Masking tools in Photoshop.

I don't even have iut in my toolbar!

image.png

Use the ordinary Type tool, and Ctrl (Cmd) click the type layer icon to load it as a selection.

Tell your teacher to show you layer masks and clipping masks.  These are way more flexible and useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your using the Horizontal Type Mask Tool it makes a selection as shown in your screenshot.

Press the Cmd key and should be able to move the text (selection)

You can use Edit>Fill to fill the selection with color like Black.

Are you sure your teacher is using The Horizontal Type Mask Tool and not the Horizontal Type Tool?

The Type Mask Horizontal or Vertical are seldom used anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

its one of the lessons that shows this part, im sure it's not very used anymore but he wanted to show it anyways i guess. i still can't make it but thanks for your help so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@y4sem1n 

Thank you for this last screenshot. The reason you can't move the text after creating it is that this tool puts pixels on the current layer. It your case, that's the Background layer. It replaces the pixels that were there.

janee_0-1718618185038.png

To use this archaic tool from the early days of Photoshop:

• Create a new layer
  • Type with the horizontal mask tool
  • Fill the selection with a color
  • You now have pixels on a layer, not live text

When class is over, never use this tool again. You can even edit your toolbar to hide it, which is what I do. This is how text worked in Photoshop before it had live text. In those days, editing a typo meant delete and retype. Kerning meant select with a Selection tool and use the Move tool. Once we had live text, I never used it again.

A better way is to use the Type tool to get live text on a new layer. You can always rasterize it to get pixels if you need pixels.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

after typing, i can't move or even touch it, it's like its locked and i cant do anything to it. it looks like the first screenshot i shared and i can't even delete the typing. it looks like it stucked and i dont understand why. i tried the way you told me but i cant even touch or move the writing so i couldnt make it but thanks for it so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@y4sem1n 

Did you do the first step I gave you? Did you create a new layer first? Your previous screenshot shows only one layer.

janee_0-1718752866673.png

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines