Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to delete artboards

Engaged ,
Nov 20, 2015 Nov 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I really appreciate the introduction of the artboard feature but I'm finding it difficult to control it.

For example, clicking outside the workspace, after selecting the Artboard Tool, creates an artboard and its corresponding layer in the Layers Panel fine,

but deleting the corresponding layer does not remove the artboard in the document window.

How would you completely get rid of the artboard??

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Nov 20, 2015 Nov 20, 2015

Hi Eaig,

In one word, you need to close the document in order to get rid of the artboard completely.

PHOTOSHOP CC 2015 serious artboard problems for UI designer

Regards

Rohit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Nov 25, 2015 Nov 25, 2015

When deleting any layer, group, or artboard in a document, you need to have at least one remaining paintable layer.

So, as an example, if you:

1. Create a new default photoshop document

2. Select the artboard tool

3. Draw an artboard (the canvas changes to an infinite canvas appearance and the prior background layer gets inserted into the artboard). You now have an artboard document.

At this point you will not be able to delete the artboard. That's because doing so might delete all the paintable laye

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the links, but the page does not describe how to delete it.

Would it be possible for you to provide steps for the deletion?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eaig,

In one word, you need to close the document in order to get rid of the artboard completely.

PHOTOSHOP CC 2015 serious artboard problems for UI designer

Regards

Rohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 21, 2015 Nov 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This feature seems unstable. In another file, I can just delete an artboard I created but the deletion automatically expands the workspace.

Hoping to see some improvement in Ps CC 2016.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2019 Jul 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's more than 1 word

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 25, 2015 Nov 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When deleting any layer, group, or artboard in a document, you need to have at least one remaining paintable layer.

So, as an example, if you:

1. Create a new default photoshop document

2. Select the artboard tool

3. Draw an artboard (the canvas changes to an infinite canvas appearance and the prior background layer gets inserted into the artboard). You now have an artboard document.

At this point you will not be able to delete the artboard. That's because doing so might delete all the paintable layers in the document.

IF, however, you:

4. create a new layer and put it outside the artboard

5. You should now be able to delete the artboard, and if you do so,

6. The document will convert back to a non-artboard document (with no background), and with the one paintable layer you added in step 4.

The key is that you must always have at least one paintable layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that makes sense.

I'd had numerous other layers and on top of them created an artboard outside the existing canvas, then deleted the artboard and noticed an extra layer in the Layers panel on the right side.

Perhaps this extra layer is what you refer to as non-artboard document in 6. I take it that it's safe to delete this layer as well as the unwanted artboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you had numerous existing layers and then created an artboard "on top of them", the layers would probably have auto-nested into the artboard by default. Trying to delete the artboard would have potentially deleted all the child layers, and so it is not allowed.

Think of artboards as a layer group. Because that's what they really are - except they have some extra behaviors attached to them, like a clipping mask, auto-nesting, and so on. You can even "ungroup" an artboard. That's actually probably what you wanted.

If you have an artboard in your document, the real canvas is hidden and gives you the illusion of an infinite canvas. Although the classic canvas is really still there; we just auto-size the canvas to make sure everything stays visible (there are some display bugs here, fwiw, but mostly cosmetic and temporary). Once you get rid of the last artboard in the document, the document reverts to "classic behavior".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2016 Sep 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

such a waste of time in my opinion. Please consider fixing this issue. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2016 Jun 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a workaround, Select the dartboard you don't want, right click and convert that as a smart object. Now, delete the smart object... artboard is no more

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean, this is genius, considering all the blah blah blah above that busy people can only find unnerving. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's like the "force delete" option. So much easier than spending a bunch of time troubleshooting Adobe's finicky artboard implementation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2016 Oct 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI EAIG,

check your artboards that you want to delete, there is a locked layer inside? check it,if yes unlock it and then deleted.

i have a same problem and it works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Merge the Artboard group to a layer & you can easily detele them

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2017 Jan 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I got what you mean, then check if you have locked layers in your artboard. After unlocking them you can easily delete the artboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2017 Feb 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same issue using Illustrator CC 2017, after creating a new artboard, it was not possible to delete the old artboard using the Artboard Tool (clicking on the top right close/X button), instead you have to click "Artboard Options" in the top toolbar and then you will see the option to delete it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe, don't cry about it!
Just make a simple fix, press artboardname and afterwards backspace.
And/or rightclick on artboard in layers panel and select delete.

Don't give us paying customers this crappy pseudo support.

It's a bug, admit it, fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2018 Mar 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thought I try the Photoshop artboards... whoa! Not like Illustrator at all--I use artboards a lot in Illustrator... My problem... I don't want the artboard, but all my groups/layers are within it... and I can't move them above/out of the artboard... except for an empty Group. Any group with content won't move out of the artboard. Can't find anything about this problem... am I stuck with this artboard?

Can anyone validate my problem: "Can't move Groups with Layers out of the Artboard" ? I did find a hack solution: Create a new .psd file the same size as the prisoner Artboard file, then copy and paste the Groups into the new file.When finished and all matched up, save the new file, then delete forever the "Artboard" file... and don't use Artboards again! or until you better understand why you would use this "feature".

Ted

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I can't click 'Delete Artboard', I find that clicking 'Ungroup Artboards' (below 'Delete Artboard') also works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2023 Jul 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Merge layers within the artboard and then delete layer, bada big bada boom!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines