Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

unable to select the layer mask of applied tool (motion blur) in smart object

Engaged ,
Aug 15, 2019 Aug 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I Have applied a motion blur to an smart object. Wanted to select the layer mask of the motion blur so I can apply a gradient on it. But am not able to. When I click on the layer mask it doesn't select it. Only smart object is selected. My mouse only recognises the smart object.

See the attached picture.

Anyone knows how to fix this?

ThanksScreenshot 2019-08-15 at 16.32.38.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you click on the layer named "Layer 0 Copy" or did you click on the white square?

You have to click on the white square in order to select the layer mask.

Let me know if this worked for you.

Bildschirmfoto 2019-08-15 um 18.07.52.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats exactly the problem, yes I did clicked on white square, and when I click on it nothing happens, I cant work on it. Only the smart object remains selected and not the white square.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try to click on this little icon, while you have your layer "Layer 0 Copy" selected and tell us if this worked or not?

Bildschirmfoto 2019-08-15 um 18.46.16.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok a peculiar thing happens. When I open the properties of the layer mask in question (by clicking on its white square), the icon you suggested me to click is already selected by default. Now when I click on the icon which is right next to it (select the layer mask), and then click back on the 1st icon (one you suggested), suddenly the (motion blur) layer mask attached to the "Layer 0 Copy" smart object DOES become selected.

So when I do this work around, I am able to select the motion blur layer mask's white square, which previously I was not able to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thank you for trying this out.

Does this happen to all smart objects that have a smart filter applied, in any document you set up or just on this particular object in this file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have just tried the same application on another image, and it worked fine. I appears to be this particular file that it has problem.

I have actually worked more on the same image just moments ago.  I have deleted the whole image I have worked on without saving it, reopened the same original image again and applied the same steps. And it works now. I am able to select the layer mask of the motion tool attached to the smart object. I dont know what happened with that other file and why I had that problem with the smart object.

It appears resolved now.

Still thanks very much on your support on resolving this issue. It was a nudge in right direction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines