• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Uninstalling Bonjour service from Photoshop CS3?

New Here ,
Apr 17, 2007 Apr 17, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there no proper way to uninstall the Bonjour service that is automatically installed with PS CS3? It is of little use to the average Windows user and the service is also messed up by being named "##Id_String2.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B879762##" rather than "Bonjour Service".

It's certainly possible to manually remove the references to the service in the registry and hope for the best, but that's not good enough for a top dollar application.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 115 Replies 115
Jul 13, 2007 Jul 13, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Psst! deebs! you can turn off your autoquote!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2007 Jul 15, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will do John.

I try to do so manually but on occasions forget.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 15, 2007 Jul 15, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

;)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2007 Aug 03, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you adobe, I didnt know about Bonjour, I didnt even know it got installed with Flash CS3, tried to kill it erasing all entries in the registry and it KILLED my internet connection

reinstalling windows didnt work, I had to format
THANK YOU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

next time don't go messing with your registry. just read post #1! (I know, nobody reads post #1)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do it simply when there are more difficult ways to do it, Dave?

Surely it's better to turn off a light bulb by unscrewing it rather than using the wall switch?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Surely it's better to turn off a light bulb by unscrewing it rather than using the wall switch?

personally, i use rocks. first i remove the light cover. then i step back about ten paces and pick up the pile of good sized rocks i've collected just for the purpose of turning off the lights. then i start chucking rocks at the bare bulb. sure there are some holes in the ceiling. and i broke the picture of my mother in law on the wall with a bad ricochet, but darn it, i get that light off, almost every time! :)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

XD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2007 Aug 11, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave milbut - 5:26pm Aug 3, 07 PST (#78 of 81)

next time don't go messing with your registry. just read post #1! (I know, nobody reads post #1)

Dave,
I went back and read post #1. So far it seems to work just fine. Thanks for the tip.

And, to everyone else, thanks for the entertainment and education. Now I know why the Beatles broke up, the cause of global warming and why gas prices continue to rise. John J, you've been a very busy guy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 11, 2007 Aug 11, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>I went back and read post #1.

OH CRUD! nobody reads post #1! i hope i put something useful in there! :)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2007 Aug 31, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a little more info on Bonjour and the string in the registry.
I found it in these registry locations on my WinXP SP2 pc.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\Bonjour Service
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Bonjour Service

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2007 Sep 10, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a tech, one of my favorite tools is ServiWin (free): http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/serviwin.html It's an awesome little Windows Service controller. Applicability here: You can turn off Bonjour (or whatever else you want) with just a couple of mouse clicks and turn it back on when/if you need it. No mucking about with the registry or uninstalling something you end up needing later; just turn it off w/ServiWin to free up the resources and turn it back on when you need it.

Naturally, it'll work for services other than Bonjour, too 🙂 I, for example, turn off Windows Auto Update until I'm ready to do an update run. Enable the service, get/install the updates, disable the service to free resources, carry on. Actually, I do the same for everybody's update service...they'll phone home when *I* want them to!.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 11, 2007 Sep 11, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>You can turn off Bonjour (or whatever else you want) with just a couple of mouse clicks and turn it back on when/if you need it.

as a tech, you mean it works just like, erm, the services applet in admin tools folder of the control panel? 🙂 (nobody reads post #1!!! XD)

(i'll check the utility though, thanks for the tip! 😉 )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 11, 2007 Sep 11, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Ultimate Troubleshooter is my favourite.

Screenshot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2007 Nov 04, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use Autoruns..
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4686

AND

Hijackthis entries..
Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\program files\bonjour\mdnsnsp.dll

AND

Go here and look for TurnOffBonjour.exe
http://download.gizmoproject.com/jasmine/

AND
LSP-Fix - a free program to repair damaged Winsock 2 stacks
(BE CAREFUL!)
http://cexx.org/lspfix.htm

Adobe, make lighter Apps.. its no wonder everyone is dumping adobe PDF reader and going with Foxit.
Love the macromedia products you just bought and your direction and not dumping fireworks.. but cannot stand the spyware.

Matt
gold coast support [at] broadbeachqld.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2007 Dec 29, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES, VIRGINIA, there is a way to 'uninstall' Bonjour... Go into task manager window (1st!) select mDNSResponder.exe choose 'end process tree' and shut the service down. Then (2nd!) go to the Bonjour folder in 'Program Files' cut and paste the contained .dll file to the System32 dllcache folder in your Windows Files. Then (3rd) rename the mDNSResponder.exe file with a different extension, such as .jpg (you will be given an alert that this may cause the program to quit responding properly... which of course is part of what we are doing here!). Then delete the file, and the Bonjour Folder, be sure to then = empty trash. And Finally go into Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services (as Root or 'Admin') and select the ##Id_String2.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B879762## service string, click mouse menu and properties and DISABLE the service... a lot of work for a very nice way to plug a security hole. If you have a firewall it helps to stop or lock 'all internet connections'. And PAUSE your AV. Upon completion of the above tasks restart AV FIRST,.. then firewall.
Respectfully yours,
Manuel Colunga-Hernandez
SunFighterComix.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2008 Mar 13, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all disabling a service is not uninstalling it, it still takes up unnecessary bloat on the disk.

Adobe should clearly include an uninstall option for all the unnecessary crap they install - for the sick greedy amounts they demand from people they should offer some service back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wise men who might stoop to calling others morons do well to check their own ass for the same type of splinter first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>it still takes up unnecessary bloat on the disk.

here's a quarter kid. go buy another 500 meg.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2008 Mar 25, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>here's a quarter kid. go buy another 500 meg.

For me it isn't about space, got plenty of that, but I wonder why does it even exist? No I didn't bother reading post 1. I jumped into this thread at post 51.

I noticed that it tries to install itself in the background without warning so I added it to my list of blocked applications. Still, why does bonjour service try to install itself in stealth mode when all I wanted to install was Photoshop CS3 and Acrobat 8?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour is an Apple-developed network-asset-sharing protocol. Given that Photoshop doesn't support dealing with assets on a network, even with Bonjour installed, I'm not sure what its point is in a Photoshop installation. I have never seen any evidence that Bonjour is in any way contributing to my use of Photoshop -- no Bonjour screens for discovering network files, printers, etc. Perhaps it's used to discover Version Cue servers, for those who have a suite installed. According to Apple's Bonjour for Windows page:
>Bonjour for Windows includes a plugin to discover advertised HTTP servers using Internet Explorer. Click the Bonjour icon in the Internet Explorer toolbar to enable Bonjour browsing. If you have Bonjour devices on your local network with embedded HTTP (Web) servers, they will appear in the list.

>The Bonjour Printer Wizard is also included and allows Windows computers to print to Bonjour networked printers, including USB shared printers connected to the AirPort Extreme and AirPort Express Base Stations. Since Apple first launched Bonjour in 2002, every major maker of network printers has adopted Bonjour. With the Bonjour Printer Wizard, computers using Windows can also experience the benefits of effortlessly discovering and printing to these Bonjour printers."

My Bonjour installation from PSCS3 doesn't provide me with the Bonjour printer wizard or an IE add-in. It's running as a service without any clients. Pointless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like it's time to put in a request for an "advanced install" option. I'm quite sure there are others that would appreciate having the ability to pick and choose which components get installed or don't.

The installer loaded other things I wasn't expecting like Bridge, Device Central, ExtendScript Toolkit 2, Extension Manager, LiveCycle Designer, and Stock Photos. It's like taking your car in for a brake inspection and getting hit with an overhaul. :/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stock Photos is removed by the latest update. Presumably Adobe wasn't making any money off it. Bridge you want. Definitely. Device Central is related to "Save to Web and Devices". ExtendScript Tooolkit may be useful if you need to script things. I have no idea what LiveCycle Designer is.

It is possible to edit a file in the installer that will override the "install all" default. I have no idea what file that is, though. Adobe didn't make this entirely transparent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2008 Mar 26, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I'm not planning on doing any "heavy" photo editing, I'm going consider looking for alternatives to Photoshop and Acrobat.

Anyone know when Photoshop Express is due to be publicly available? There was a lot of talk about it in the third quarter of last year but now it seems to have vaporized.

(Taipos [self edited]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 26, 2008 Mar 26, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well good luck with that. don't let the door hit you in the a$* on the way out! 😛 :)

(psst... gimp is a fine program.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines