• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unnatural looking transition between subject and background.

Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a fairly experienced Photoshop user. My problem is as follows. When I select and edit the tone, saturation, etc of an object in a photo and separately edit the background, occasionally I am not happy with the transition between objects. Of course I know how to use feathering, and I know how to shift the edge of the selection to soften the transition. I sometimes use the blur tool to soften the edges. Regardless, they sometimes look "photoshopped." Can someone help me with the subtleties of technique here?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's called experience and a good eye 😉

I don't mean to be patronizing, but that really is the answer. Keep at it, learn from your mistakes, and you'll get there... 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

avenue.png

You have described an image on which you made a Selection and modified the area, then Inversed the Selection and modified that area. You found the Selection edge is too apparent. The following is a technique you may not have tried: It softens that edge using a separate layer and a blur over which you have control of blur width and blur amount.

The additional step:

With the Selection marching ants still showing, choose Select > Modify > Border which will change the Selection’s marching ants to a double marching ants selection, an "avenue" that seems to straddle the area of the original selection. 

Cmd+J will put this area of the image on a separate layer.  Hide the marching ants (Cmd+H). Apply a Gaussian blur to soften the edge where the separately modified areas butted. Each image you work on is different and may require a different amount of softening. Via drop down menu for Border and Blur, this technique gives you full control over the width of the “avenue” and the amount of blur. One more thing: If there is a section of the contour that doesn't need the gentle blur, just remove that area from the "avenue" layer. Good luck.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is a feature of Photoshop that I was unaware of. The after-the-fact adjustability is ideal. Thanks so much. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "obvious" less obvious answer is to not make a selection or mask, accepting that the entire image will be impacted with a focus on the ranges that are critical. This is obviously not for every image, however, it does avoid a transition as there is no transition! That being said, channels from RGB/CMYK/LAB modes may make a better selection/mask than a more "precise" selection that ends up looking artificial.

I'll present a few PDF files from Dan Margulis that may provide you with a different view:

http://www.moderncolorworkflow.com/wp-content/uploads/stuff/Other/MA07-The_Steeper_The_Curve.pdf

https://www.ledet.com/margulis/Makeready/MA56-First_Refuge.pdf

http://www.ledet.com/margulis/Makeready/MA21-Defanging.pdf

More here: http://www.moderncolorworkflow.com/makeready-archive and here: https://www.ledet.com/margulis/articles.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These links are excellent. Much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually Stephen makes an excellent and very important point. Selections may not be necessary at all. Often a global overall adjustment is what is really needed, and then the parts will fall into place. Look at the whole first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to everyone for your prompt and helpful responses!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And when talking about images it can be useful to show them, so please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Channels, Options Bar, …) visible if you want to discuss the issue further. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines