• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using LUTs in CMYK files

New Here ,
Mar 27, 2023 Mar 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, is there a way of using LUTs on a CMYK file in photoshop? A company I design for wants their images to use a specific LUT on a number of images to have the same look and feel, but I need these printed on an exhibition stand so they need to be CMYK. When I convert the image to CMYK I can't add the LUT after, the box is greyed out and when I add the LUT but then convert to CMYK after it doesn't seem to save the LUT effect. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you! 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Attract & Engage 

If the LUT is RGB based then it must be applied in RGB and then converted to CMYK if that is the requirement (view at 100%).

What LUT? Sample images and or custom LUT files would be helpful to fully understand your issues.

P.S. There should be no technical reason why they can't use RGB files with modern software, but that is a side issue. This is a workflow choice and requirement dictated by the PSP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, it is very likely that the print vendor will be okay with an RGB image. Most large format, inkjet type printing produces better results with RGB images.

If you must provide a CMYK image, do this.

1. Apply the LUT to an RGB image
  2. flatten the file
  3. convert it to CMYK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 28, 2023 Mar 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, apply the LUT to the RGB,

if you get the right look - then send that RGB to the printer,

if they want only CMYK then you need to know specifically which CMYK ICC profile to use,

then flatten the RGB and convert.

I'd get a certified proof to be sure. 

Is your own computer display calibrated and profiled?

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net - adobe forum volunteer - co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 28, 2023 Mar 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

when I add the LUT but then convert to CMYK after it doesn't seem to save the LUT effect.

Please provide meaningful information, how exactly do you convert? (Post screenshots please.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines