• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using photos to map a 3D sphere onto a 2d map/plane?

Explorer ,
Sep 01, 2023 Sep 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a physical sphere with a pattern on it that I've photographed from every angle and I'm trying to figure out how to merge those images into a 2D surface. Photo Merge doesn't work well when I simply rotate the object but keep the camera stationary. I think I might need to move the camera through an arc to photograph the sphere, but that wouldn't give me every part of the surface to translate into a map of the sphere.

Are there any tips on getting Photoshop to translate these photos to a plane? I know there will be distortion, but I'm hoping there's some way within Photoshop to do this regardless.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Sep 12, 2023 Sep 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was able to make the following image:

globe-panorama.png

from the pictures of the globe in this image:

AdobeStock_374855502.png

It's not perfect, but with a possibly more overlapping images of the globe and some cleanup of the details, you could fix some of the issues with it.

Here are the steps I used:

1. Remove the background.
  2. Separate each globes onto separate layers
  3. Export the separate globes as PNGs.
  4. Convert each globe in its new PNG to a Smart Object.
  5. Apply Filter > Distort > Spherize... as a Smart Filter to each globe (I used -50 but I wound up applying that same amount a second time).
  6. Rasterize each of the globes (You could duplicate them and then rasterize them so that you have a back up in case you need to make changes. They have to be rasterized for Photomerge.).
  7. Save the globes.
  8. Go to File > Automate > Photomerge... set to Auto with all the separate globe files as source files with all 4 options at the bottom of Photomerge selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines