• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Ways to implement image resizing using plug-ins?

New Here ,
May 24, 2007 May 24, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Photoshop developers,

I'm a developer with a few Photoshop filter and selection plug-ins under my belt, and I have a good understanding of the SDK and tools and suites it provides. My next project is an algorithm for enlarging/resampling images to different pixel dimensions. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for or experience with the best combination of plug-in types to implement this.

Clearly, I can't just write it as a filter plug-in, since there is no way to change the image dimensions from within a filter.

I'd like the resized image to remain within Photoshop (as a new window or in the original one), so an export plug-in on its own is not sufficient.

Import plug-ins seem promising, since they allow the creation of a new document of the required size. However, as best I can tell from the Photoshop 6.0 SDK documentation, import plug-ins cannot access the image data from other open documents (or even the clipboard), nor do they provide any support for channel ports and the Channel Port suite.

My best idea at this stage is to create an export plug-in to provide the user interface and calculate the resized image, and then an import plug-in to import the resized image back into a new window. (I'm supposing a further automation plug-in would then be written to perform this export/import sequence.) The difficulty I see with this approach is how to communicate the resized image data between the two plug-ins. Since the resized image will potentially be very large, the ideal solution would be to store it in channels managed by the Channel Ports suite. However, I cannot see how the channel ports created in the export plug-in could be communicated to and used by an import plug-in. The alternative would be for the export plug-in to save the resized image to a temporary file on disk, however this seems unnecessary.

So, my questions, specifically, are:

a) Is it possible to create new channels using the Channel Ports suite (sPSChannelPorts->New()) in one plug-in, and have those channels persist to be used in another plug-in?

b) If so, how would the channel ports be communicated between the plug-ins?

c) Alternately, are there any alternative architectures available for implementing an image-resizing algorithm using the plug-in types that are available for Photoshop developers.

Any responses would be greatly appreciated; I know this is a low-traffic forum...

Thanks,
Matthew.
TOPICS
SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 29, 2007 Jun 29, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would make an automation plug-in and a filter plug-in.<br /><br />1) Run the automation which runs your filter to gather current image <br />information<br />2) Create a temp file of the new document<br />3) Make a new document<br />4) Call the filter again to reload the temp data on disk<br /><br /><Matthew_Hollingworth@adobeforums.com> wrote in message <br />news:3bc3ff50.-1@webcrossing.la2eafNXanI...<br />> Hi Photoshop developers,<br />><br />> I'm a developer with a few Photoshop filter and selection plug-ins under <br />> my belt, and I have a good understanding of the SDK and tools and suites <br />> it provides. My next project is an algorithm for enlarging/resampling <br />> images to different pixel dimensions. I'm wondering if anyone has any <br />> suggestions for or experience with the best combination of plug-in types <br />> to implement this.<br />><br />> Clearly, I can't just write it as a filter plug-in, since there is no way <br />> to change the image dimensions from within a filter.<br />><br />> I'd like the resized image to remain within Photoshop (as a new window or <br />> in the original one), so an export plug-in on its own is not sufficient.<br />><br />> Import plug-ins seem promising, since they allow the creation of a new <br />> document of the required size. However, as best I can tell from the <br />> Photoshop 6.0 SDK documentation, import plug-ins cannot access the image <br />> data from other open documents (or even the clipboard), nor do they <br />> provide any support for channel ports and the Channel Port suite.<br />><br />> My best idea at this stage is to create an export plug-in to provide the <br />> user interface and calculate the resized image, and then an import plug-in <br />> to import the resized image back into a new window. (I'm supposing a <br />> further automation plug-in would then be written to perform this <br />> export/import sequence.) The difficulty I see with this approach is how to <br />> communicate the resized image data between the two plug-ins. Since the <br />> resized image will potentially be very large, the ideal solution would be <br />> to store it in channels managed by the Channel Ports suite. However, I <br />> cannot see how the channel ports created in the export plug-in could be <br />> communicated to and used by an import plug-in. The alternative would be <br />> for the export plug-in to save the resized image to a temporary file on <br />> disk, however this seems unnecessary.<br />><br />> So, my questions, specifically, are:<br />><br />> a) Is it possible to create new channels using the Channel Ports suite <br />> (sPSChannelPorts->New()) in one plug-in, and have those channels persist <br />> to be used in another plug-in?<br />><br />> b) If so, how would the channel ports be communicated between the <br />> plug-ins?<br />><br />> c) Alternately, are there any alternative architectures available for <br />> implementing an image-resizing algorithm using the plug-in types that are <br />> available for Photoshop developers.<br />><br />> Any responses would be greatly appreciated; I know this is a low-traffic <br />> forum...<br />><br />> Thanks,<br />> Matthew.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2007 Jul 26, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
i want to work with mr johan overbye i have great ideas iam a jenious
my e_mail : battledust@hotmail.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines