• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

WebP in PhotoShop 24.5.0 - can't save other files in this format

Explorer ,
Jun 05, 2023 Jun 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I finally turned to use next gen images on my sites, and I wanted to convert the existing JPGs and PNGs to WebP. So I thought I would test PhotoShop, even though I know I can go and do bulk conversion online.

At first, I was puzzled as WebP would not show on the list of extension after I clicked Save As. Then I noticed that PS would show it for some files, but not for all. For example, PNGs that went through TinyPNG process cannot be saved as WebP. Same applies to JPGs.

What's the point of this? Plus I see AVIF is nowhere in the picture.

Thanks

P.S.

Dreamweaver even today shows empty space for WebP images. That is a shame.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 05, 2023 Jun 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If for those files you don't see WebP listed, if you click Save a Copy is WebP then listed?

You could also go to Photoshop>Preferences>File Handling and check Enable Legacy "Save As"

There is an AVIF plugin for photoshop, but it only seems to to be available for the Windows version of photoshop:

https://github.com/0xC0000054/avif-format/releases

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2023 Aug 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem, nor Save as Copy... showed the option, nor did Enabling Legacy "Save As" helped. I figured out what was wrong though. PS can only convert images that has the color mode set to RGB as WebP, no other color mode offers this option, file format does not matter, bit depth does not matter. Once an image is in RGB PS happily converts away, I just ran two batches where 180 pics were in Grayscale, first batch to convert to RBG and save, then another to convert JPGs to WebP, there was no issue whatsoever. It is incredibly annoying but solvable. @dw202 hopefully this helps, if it's still relevant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A single batch action should be able to convert to RGB and save as WebP in a single pass/run.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2023 Sep 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THANK YOU!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines