• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What is the most effective way to smoothly blend tones in Photoshop CC 2019 (For photography)

Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2019 Feb 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes when I clone a detail out, the replaced section doesn't look natural. I've tried smudging, which only seems to redistribute the blotchiness.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 01, 2019 Feb 01, 2019

When you have edges like that, the Patch tool is my go to tool.  You have to select well into the good area like below

Then with the Patch tool selected, drag along that edge

You could do the same thing with that vent

Making a perfectly blended patch.

I lied about it being perfect as I can see darker tone left behind

But taking a second stab fixes it

The Patch tool is probably unbeatable when it comes to making invisibly merged and blended in fixes.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post meaningful screenshots to illustrate what you are talking about.

Why are you using the Clone Stamp Tool and might the Healing Brush Tool or Spot Healing Brush Tool provide alternatives?

I've tried smudging

Considering that digital photographs usually feature noise that approach seems problematic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, was using the mobile version and couldn't figure out how to include images.

The first image includes a fixture I wanted to remove: Screenshot_20190201-010236.png

The second is the result of me cloning it out. It looks better than it actually does in real life but if you look closely, it's not totally smooth in terms of gradation:Screenshot_20190201-010258.png

Still fairly new to Photoshop. Would the healing tool be the best solution? Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would the healing tool be the best solution?

Well, ultimately that’s for you to find out and it can naturally depend on the image.

But I am not sure about the screenshots, they seem to be clipped too closely to provide a good frame of reference.

And what about the black bar?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, the black bar is just a border from the image, not part of the shot. How would you approach removing the fixture and creating the illusion that there's a continuous ceiling?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the black bar is just a border from the image

Do you work for film/video?

If not black seems to be the wrong choice.

I expect the Clone Stamp Tool might suffice in this case, but please also try Content-Aware Fill.

With the Clone Stamp Tool it might help to add a temporary Curves Adjustment Layer to increase the contrast in the tonal area to notice discongruencies more easily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a still photograph the print actually has a white border but I pulled a quick screenshot off of my phone which resulted in a black border.

I am dissatisfied with the results from cloning so I'll try the content aware fill. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the Clone Stamp Tool may suffice, but you may need s few takes.

Doing it on a Layer of its own may help.

Screen Shot 2019-02-01 at 11.04.31.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know, I've tried that and it may be a matter of skill, but that hasnt worked for me... The other day I spent over an hour trying to clone a light out of a ceiling and it never looked natural. It was much worse than the example I showed you. When dealing with smooth surfaces that show subtle gradation, this method has not been good for me. I was hoping there was a specific tool or method for this situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When you have edges like that, the Patch tool is my go to tool.  You have to select well into the good area like below

Then with the Patch tool selected, drag along that edge

You could do the same thing with that vent

Making a perfectly blended patch.

I lied about it being perfect as I can see darker tone left behind

But taking a second stab fixes it

The Patch tool is probably unbeatable when it comes to making invisibly merged and blended in fixes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you Work with Photoshop CC ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, Photoshop CC2019

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines