• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

what method to bring open files into one as layers ?

Contributor ,
May 01, 2024 May 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have many open files all exact same size and attributes, I need to get them into one psd file as layers.

How is this done.

I am CS6

Cheers

Merlin3

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are scripts to load files into a stack, before opening them all into Photoshop.

You could run a Batch Action to save and close all open files, then run the Load Files to Stack script.

This may prove challenging to fully or semi-automate with all docs already open. 

CS6 may limit your scripted options as most people script in later versions and can't create or test scripts in older versions... But this can be done with a Batch Action in CS6, even if it is a bit rough.

It will depend on whether the files are flattened or layered.

Here I created a simple action for images that are not flattened. For flattened images remove or disable the first step. All files should be consistent, either flattened or ensure that any flattened Background image is converted to a floating layer:

2024-05-02_09-03-34.png

I have set the modal control on the last step for an interactive save step as I didn't wish to save changes to all the open documents (file_2.png and file_3.png), I only wanted to save the final file_1.png document. If you don't care about saving changes to open docs then you would just record the last step with a "saving: yes" and not run in modal.

Then run the Action via Batch for all open docs:

2024-05-02_08-57-10.png

Notice how the files have been opened so that the target document "file_1.png" is the last document processed, which will be the layered file that will be saved.

If there is any doubt or room for error in closing unsaved files, I would just run the action manually as many times as needed.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

One might copy all open files using the 'Copy Merged' command and then paste them into a single document, with the option to close the files after copying or keep them open. It is possible that a Photoshop action could automate this process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines