• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Where does photoshop cc store "print setting" presets?

New Here ,
Sep 28, 2019 Sep 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to find the "print setting" presets (those where you can create from "Print"> "Print Settings" option) are store on my computer so I can copy to a new machine.

Appreciate if anyone can help me.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Sep 29, 2019 Sep 29, 2019

"Print Settings" opens the printer driver. Photoshop isn't making these presets, the printer driver is. So I imagine it will be saved somewhere in your user account, in a folder with the printer's name.

However, everything in the PS print dialog, probably including which printer preset to use, is stored in the file as metadata. It travels with the file.

(It's also possible that the printer preset is recorded in file metadata as individual settings. That would actually make good sense.)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Sep 29, 2019 Sep 29, 2019

Hi DFosse is right, "Print Settings" opens the printer driver options dialog. 

In there you can seve print settings as a preset, that’s in the printer driver though, not within Photoshop. 

If you're transferring this to a new machine the safest way is going to be to make screenshots and do it manually. I imagine its hidden within the printer's preference files and it would not be a good idea to try copying that across. 

And, yes, what's within the Photoshop print dialog (before you go to print s

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

The custom Presets found in the (Epson) dropdown are saved in a plist. For example:

com.apple.print.custompresets.forprinter.EPSON_SC_P800_Series.plis

You don't want to be messing with that! 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Sep 29, 2019 Sep 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Print Settings" opens the printer driver. Photoshop isn't making these presets, the printer driver is. So I imagine it will be saved somewhere in your user account, in a folder with the printer's name.

However, everything in the PS print dialog, probably including which printer preset to use, is stored in the file as metadata. It travels with the file.

(It's also possible that the printer preset is recorded in file metadata as individual settings. That would actually make good sense.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 29, 2019 Sep 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi DFosse is right, "Print Settings" opens the printer driver options dialog. 

In there you can seve print settings as a preset, that’s in the printer driver though, not within Photoshop. 

If you're transferring this to a new machine the safest way is going to be to make screenshots and do it manually. I imagine its hidden within the printer's preference files and it would not be a good idea to try copying that across. 

And, yes, what's within the Photoshop print dialog (before you go to print settings) is saved in the image file. 

I hope this works for you

if so, please "like" my reply and if you're OK now, please mark it as "correct", so that others who have similar issues can see the solution

thanks

neil barstow, colourmanagement

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you open a document and alter Print Settings (or anything else in that Print dialog), nothing more, then close that document, you are asked to save the document. If you open it again, those settings remain. So.... I think the settings are stored as metadata in the document. In addition, if you examine the date modified of that document, it shows the date you saved that document. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey digitaldog, do you think that’s saving all the driver print settings such as media type, resolution etc on a per image basis?

That would be useful at times. 

However, what the OP was after was knowing where Photoshop stores those "print settings" settings so they can copy them to a new machine. My 2C is that I don't think that’s possible.

neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The custom Presets found in the (Epson) dropdown are saved in a plist. For example:

You don't want to be messing with that! 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 26, 2022 Jan 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hia Digitaldog, yeah "The custom Presets found in the (Epson) dropdown are saved in a plist. For example:

You don't want to be messing with that! "

totally agree there, even if copied to the new machine I doubt it would work right,

perhaps we need to petition Epson for an "export printer settings" facility. 

Anyhoo, as you've confirmed,. it's not an Adobe Photoshop "thing".

neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines