• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why aren't these words identical?

Contributor ,
Apr 27, 2024 Apr 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Attached are screenshots of two lines of text.

The top line is from the first .psd file I made. The second is from another .psd file. The text in the second file looks bolder. I dragged it into the first file so I could compare them. 

The BOTH have the following identical characteristics:

Font: Georgia Italic
Size: 240px
Effects: Sharp and Bold
Color: #FFFFFF
LIne Height: Auto
Kerning: Metrics
Tracking: 0
Vertical: 100%
Horizontal: 100%
Baseline Shift: 0px

So why does one look bolder? I like the folder one, and don't know how to get it! 

Photoshop 24.7.0
Mac OS Ventura 13.6.6 (I can't update this; my hardware is too old.)

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bottom line has a white stroke.

image.png 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But it doesn't! (I guess it's a way to get it, but there are no text effects on either of them.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 28, 2024 Apr 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I did above is place the lower text over the upper text, and set the blend mode to difference.  If they had been identical then the reselt would have been fully black.  In fact the lower text exactly matches the upper in every respect, other than it is about one pixel fatter all round.

Let's test that.  This a copy of the upper text set to difference which is obviously full black.

image.png

I've used Remove Background, which is not perfect, but close enough to show us what is going on

image.png

If we give that a one pixel stroke, we get the something like the effect as the first screenshot.  All it really demonstrates is that the lower text is a tiny bit fatter than the upper text.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is another possibility.  I flipped the lower text to align it with the upper, and I am wondering if there is a tiny bit more antialiasing with the lower.  If it had a slight blur, that would cause it to expand outside its original boundary. 

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

quoteSo why does one look bolder? I like the folder one, and don't know how to get it! 
By @Angelique & Friends

Another possibility is that one is set to fake bold (faux bold).

• Select the text with the Type tool
  • Open the Character panel (Window menu)
  • Look at the icons across the bottom of the Character panel. Is Faux Bold enabled?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines