• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why can't I use the selection tool for an uploaded PNG in photoshop?

New Here ,
Dec 04, 2023 Dec 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have uploaded a png into photoshop. I am trying to modify/contract the pixels but when I try to select my layer/png/image the selection tool wont work? I'm not that good with photoshop so I'm trying to understaned what I'm doing wrong.Screen Shot 2023-12-04 at 4.41.06 PM.png

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PNG files with transparency open as just one layer.

Ant text is rasterized and can't be edited unless you remake the Type layer.

To select the entire page, you can use the shortcut Cmd A, and change their size with Free Transform (Cmd T), but that wouldn't make sense as resizing the image would be an easier way to do that.

It would help if you told us exactly how you wish to edit the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you do want to change the text, that is one heck of a light font.  The easiest wat to get close to that is to use one of the Variable Concept fonts where those properties can be changed.  A weight of 150 (Extra Light) is about right.

There will be designers cringing at that uber wide tracking me thinks.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, you have Smart Object layer it seems in your Layers panel so direct changes of content are not allowed unless you edit content by double clicking on Smart Object icon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 05, 2023 Dec 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

A png files doesn't come with editable text. And also your screenshot shows channels, andto edit an image it is way better to use the layers panels;

Hope it helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you working on CMYK? 

Filter > Other > Maximum can be used to choke a Smart Object with transparency but naturally also affects the color-content.

But one can work-around that with a Clipping Masked duplicate and to limit the area affected by the Smart Filter one can use the Mask.

Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 12.26.51.pngScreenshot 2023-12-05 at 12.27.19.pngScreenshot 2023-12-05 at 12.27.43.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

the selection tool wont work?

By @default3kr1nzn0ljqf

The tool you have selected is the Path Selection tool and only works on Paths. You don't have any.

janee_0-1701776299656.png

The first tool in your toolbar is the Move tool. The next three are selection tools. All three have hidden tools sharing the same space. Right-click (or long-press) the tool to see the hidden tools.

janee_1-1701776436141.png

See this Help page to get started with selections:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/making-selections.html

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines