• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does Photoshop force me to save a file as a PSD before closing?

New Here ,
May 20, 2022 May 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I disable this feature? I have saved a file as a copy (jpg, png, etc) and I no longer need the file. I try to close it but Photoshop locks up until I save it as a PSD file as well before I can close the file. Why does it do this? I am using Adobe Photoshop 2022.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just save it then delete the psd file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Have you checked these options in preferences

2022-05-20 19_41_54-Adobe Photoshop 2022.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop is not forcing or locking up. It’s trying to make sure you don’t lose work.

If you open a JPEG, PNG, etc. and then you edit it, when you close, Photoshop asks if you want to save those edits. If you don’t need to save because you already exported them to another file, all you have to do is click Don’t Save. That will cause Photoshop to close the file without saving a Photoshop document, and you can move on.

Photoshop-Save-Changes-to-Photoshop.jpg

If you do this a lot, you can avoid clicking the button all the time by using keyboard shortcuts for Don’t Save: On a Mac, you can press either D or Command-D. That’s what I do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2023 Dec 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it is reasonable to say that PS is forcing us to save as psd, even on cases where it is not needed. For example, I just slightly modified a jpg: no layers, no selections, no nothing. No need to use psd. I suppose Adobe is trying to force its format on the general public. 

This adds some clutter to my workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Mosh 

There is either 16 bit depth, a floating layer (not Background), an alpha channel, or transparency.

Jpeg is an extremely limited file format. But if you still manage to stay within it, jpeg will be available under Save As.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it is reasonable to say that PS is forcing us to save as psd, even on cases where it is not needed. For example, I just slightly modified a jpg: no layers, no selections, no nothing. No need to use psd. I suppose Adobe is trying to force its format on the general public. 

This adds some clutter to my workflow.

By @Mosh

You are mistaken. 

Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Channels, Options Bar, …) visible? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 04, 2023 Dec 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try checking Enable legacy "Save As" in file handling Preferences

large.png

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net - adobe forum volunteer - co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The whole point here, as Conrad implies, is that the still open file has properties that are not supported in the file format you just saved to. Like for instance layers, transparency, 16 bit depth or other things.

So if you just close out without saving a psd, you are actually throwing out data. If that's what you want, just close. If not, save out a psd or tiff, which are the only file formats that support everything you can do in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was thinking of an entirely unrelated situation. The above answers cover your issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines