• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is the magic wand tool not working properly?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2017 Feb 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I want to use the magic wand tool in Photoshop CC to select the sky in a picture. Unfortunately, it does not work like shown in tutorials I have seen. When I click somewhere in the picture, the entire picture gets selected. It does not make any difference when I change the tolerance to 1 or 255.

Does someone know how I can solve this problem?

Thank you very much!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 11, 2017 Feb 11, 2017

It sounds like you may be trying to use the Magic Wand on a layer that doesn't have the pixels you want to select - likely a blank layer. Make sure you've clicked on the layer that has the sky on it (make sure it's "highlighted" - kind of a different gray than the other layers), so Photoshop knows that's the layer from which you want to select pixels.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you may be trying to use the Magic Wand on a layer that doesn't have the pixels you want to select - likely a blank layer. Make sure you've clicked on the layer that has the sky on it (make sure it's "highlighted" - kind of a different gray than the other layers), so Photoshop knows that's the layer from which you want to select pixels.

Adobe Community Expert / Adobe Certified Instructor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! You are an amazing person! I tried everything for hours wow I feel so stupid now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL! I'm so glad that helped! I always tell people that the only way I can sometimes tell when someone's making an error in Photoshop is because it's an error I've made tons of times over the years - so don't feel bad - I STILL do it!

Adobe Community Expert / Adobe Certified Instructor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have either :

a. The layer with the image  you want to select from  selected in the layers panel
or

b. Sample all layers checked in the options bar?

You need one of the above for the tool to work.

Edit : Looks like you had a reply whilst I was typing this

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2021 Jan 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the layer that I want selected but I am still having the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Davesome -

I think we're having the same issue. The correct answer below is correct, but not exactly the solution I was looking for in my project's situation. 

My .psd from a designer had a shape layer that was partially transparent in PS but as soon as exported or brought into Premiere, AE, etc. The "transparent" still layer appeared white. The magic wand tool wasnt selecting the designer's layer because it;s not actually there.

Heres what I found:

- Open your properties window in PS

- Select the grouped layers or layer

- Select "Properties" window

- Toggle "Artboard background color" to "transparent"

Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 10.17.33 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2023 Jan 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks but its still not working it is highlighted but it doesnt work😅😅😅

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 21, 2023 Jan 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Chloe28043845bb7i 

Show us a screenshot that includes:

• Layers panel with the correct layer selected
  • Toolbar with Magic Wand selected
  • Options bar for Magic Wand
  • The document window with your image

How to take screenshots here:

https://www.take-a-screenshot.org/windows.html

If you can tell us in what way "it doesn't work", that will be helpful, as those words can mean many things.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2023 Mar 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I found that lowering this allows me to capture what I need with the magic wand. Previously it was on a 101 by 101 average and was selecting an entire cutout, instead of the pixels I was requesting. Hope this helps. 

cloudhelp.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2023 Apr 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Untitled-1.jpg

I had the same problem, the correct step is you need to go to 'channels' and make sure theres only these four Channel only inside. If you have a quick mask channel then you want to delete it and the problem wiill be solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 17, 2023 Apr 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you have a quick mask channel then you want to delete it and the problem wiill be solved.

By @May226338111txy

If you have a Quick Mask channel in your Channels panel, it means that your have entered Quick Mask mode by selecting the tool or by using the shortcut Q. You can exit Quick Mask by typing Q or clicking the tool again.

If you are new to Quick Mask mode for making selections, you can learn about it here:

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines