• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why Photoshop "Save for Web" 300 Resolution After Export?

Explorer ,
Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is Photoshop's "Save for Web" is 300 resolution after I export?

Normally, it's been 72 resolution after "Save for Web." It's seems after the update. "Save for Web" some times it's 300 resolution on some photos and it's 72 resolution on other photos. No consistency.

Is it just me or was it always this way?

Thank you

Calvin

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it is not changing dimensions only pixel per inch value? I can not reproduce on Windows using 23.5.1 version of Photoshop. It is cosmetic problem will not change anything since images for web will not be affected in any way. On the web that value will be ignored and only pixel dimensions will be used. What version of Photoshop is in question?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply.

Yes, that's what I understand. I'm using the lastest updated version of Photoshop. I don't understand why sometimes it saves it as 300 resoltion and other times it saves as 72 dpi. It was saving it as 72 resolution before the latest update. I don't know why it is doing this now or was this always happening.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I'd try to find a common denominator with the files that are at 300 (what was their resolution, bit depth, color profile, format, did they have layers...) but SFW being legacy for a long time, I doubt we would see a fix, especially as the problem is cosmetic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for responding. I think you're right. Everything is the same except some had layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save For Web (and Export) will normally strip resolution metadata altogether, because it's not needed for screen/web. It's neither 72 nor 300, the file actually has no ppi value at all.

However, in SFW you can set metadata to "all", and in that special case the original ppi number is preserved. With all other settings for metadata, resolution is stripped from the file.

The 72 number you normally see isn't in the file, but is assigned by Photoshop when you reopen the file. Photoshop needs some ppi number to calculate font sizes and other things, and so a default number is assigned. But any number will do.

If you reopened that file in, say, one of the native Windows apps, you'd see 96 ppi, because that's the default there when ppi is missing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"However, in SFW you can set metadata to "all", and in that special case the original ppi number is preserved."

Not in 23.5.1 from my testing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't set metadata to "all", or the setting doesn't retain ppi?

metadata1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 16, 2022 Sep 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does not retain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, got it. If that's a "bug" it won't get fixed (that's what "legacy" means). It used to work that way, but I haven't tested it now. In any case, Export will always strip ppi, it never had an "all metadata" setting.

And of course, it's still true that for what you use SFW/Export for, ppi is utterly irrelevant and nothing to waste brain bandwidth on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using SFW for years in production and as long as Metadata is set to All or All Except Camera Info, the TIFF namespace (where resolution data is saved) is preserved. Yes in the current version as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Further investigation says that images created in Photoshop will not retain PPI even if Metadata > All is set in Save for Web. Images open in Photoshop with 300 PPI will retain resolution when exported using Export > Save for Web (Legacy) with Metadata set to All. Maybe that is solution to mystery: sometimes it retains resolution while other times don't.

metadata set to all.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The PPI metadata is preserved with the ALL option, but only for JPEG – not PNG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 18, 2022 Sep 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

PNG metadata for PPI values has been broken for a while now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works for me too in 23.5.1.

The ppi value is preserved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, I understand now. Thank you for explaination. I tested with changing the resolution with the resample button unchecked. The dimentions and file size didn't change.

Thank you again. 🙌

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines