• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why so hard to migrate?

Participant ,
Feb 19, 2024 Feb 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I built a new PC and I forgot how insane it is to try to recreate my Photoshop. Files are all over the place. I copied folders directly off my old drive but I am still missing a ton of actions and my brushes. I finally figured out the extensions. I think my CC2023 was actually drawing actions from a previous build, but when I moved an older/larger *.psp file the software would not load. Is there any guide that explains how to get all your actions and brushes into a new computer????? Ima going crazy here.

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make it simple next time: save out your actions and brushes, and keep them in a safe place. Then reload in the new version.

If you don't save out, it is just stored as temporary items in your general preferences.

Migrating is possible, but actually not a good idea. The new version has new code, and the old settings may actually not mean exactly the same thing. Odd behavior can creep up later.

The preferences files are rewritten on every application exit. This makes them vulnerable to corruption by irregular shutdowns. This is in contrast to read-only program files.

I never migrate anything, but I always keep my actions etc safely stored somewhere. With a new version, I take the opportunity to start fresh, and five minutes setting everything up are well spent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 20, 2024 Feb 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

With a new version, I take the opportunity to start fresh, and five minutes setting everything up are well spent.

That’s probably good practice in case one may have to restore Photoshop’s Preferences at some point. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The location should have been. If it came up blank you likely pulled the wrong version or username. Would be easier if Adobe used the year in the folder name, as that got me in the past, along with 64 bit version folder.

C:.Users>username>AppData>Roaming>Adobe>AdobePhotoshop CC XX>Adobe Photoshop CC XX Settings>  Brushes.psp

instead you can

Mike_Gondek_0-1708409538724.png

I keep a backup on my hard drive and use this filename/structure with similar for Illustrator

Mike_Gondek_1-1708409659620.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 20, 2024 Feb 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any guide that explains how to get all your actions and brushes into a new computer????? Ima going crazy here.

By @dougsooley

The following is for actions, however, the process is similar for other items such as brushes and other presets. Each asset/preset has a native file extension (.atn for actions, .abr for brushes, .cha for channel mixer etc).

https://prepression.blogspot.com/2017/01/photoshop-custom-action-file-backup.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines