• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Won't work with Catalina

New Here ,
Jun 09, 2022 Jun 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've upgraded to Catalina IOS on my Mac - and now things like Photoshop, Illustrator won't open/work. I've now realised it's something to do with incompatabilty (32 versus 64 bit - whatever that means). Where were the warnings? I've paid good money for this software. How do I get it to work - or can I have a refund please?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Where were the warnings?" have you tried a Google search.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-and-macos-catalina.html

Which versions of Adobe software are you referring to, why would you expect a refund from Adobe when it was Apple that made the change to no longer support 32 bit apps.

You can always revert to the version of MAC OS that the software did work on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm juat a naive non-computer geek user who assumes that it normal practice to contanstanly upgrade to lates IOS (especially when prompted). The assumption is that multi-national companies like Apple, Adobe etc work together to ensure this can happen seemlessly. So that if Adobe know in advance that Apple are changing (or not supprting 'bits' - whatever they are!) that they will either upgrade their systems in parallel ot at least email customers with a warning. In the same way that Apple should send a warning top customers highlighting there could be compatibility problems if you upgrade because they're playing around with their 'bits'. Why on earth would I think to do a Google search for potential upgrade issues when I've nevert had them before and my assumptionm again, is "why would there be a problem when then huge companies obviously have unlimited resources to sort all this out in advance". And why would I want to revert back to an old IOS. Surely Apple have done whatever they've done for a good reason ans company's like Adobe just need to keep up? Or am I beinf unreasonable?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop versions CS6 and below have been out of support for many years, you can't expect software companies to keep their unsupported end of life software updated to run on new and ever evolving operating systems, it just doesn't happen that way and never will.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good reason to buy a PC not a MAC.  I recently purchased a new PC with Windows 11.  My CS6 works like it always has. No problems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple popped up warnings that older software would need to be upgraded, and made it very clear on their website and in support materials about the move from 32- to 64-bit. This was a years-long transittion and didn't happen overnight.

What versions of Adobe software are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Adobe Creative Suit 6 Design & Web Premium. OK, I know it's years old and I only use Photoshop and Illustrator infrequently. So I'm nor bothered about new features or upgrades (as I'm not a 'proffesional' user or anything). I've just gone along with iOS upgrades over the years (it takes a while - which is why I'm always 1 or 2 behind the latest). But as never had issues before (& I'm not a computer nerd/boffin) it didn't ocur to me there would be issues. It would have helped if when Apple sent me a prompt to upgrade this time they flashed a warning informing me to check whether all my old purchaers woud still work. e.g. I bought a lifetime subscription to Mikogo (computer sharing/conference/etc) back in 2016 and that doesn't work either (along with Messenger and 4 other programmes. I think I had to upgrade to sort another minor problem. Just think all this should be sorted in the background by these companies working together. They make enough from us in the first place. Guess I'll just have to buy a new version. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Nicky24795606kyg9 wrote:

But as never had issues before (& I'm not a computer nerd/boffin) it didn't ocur to me there would be issues.

Normally there are not issues. It's been possible, as you did, to keep going without issues for year after year. But a few years ago Apple wanted to make some big changes to make better performance/efficiency possible by re-architecting both the hardware and the operating system, and that meant having to push all existing software past a barrier. And they did display warnings, but a lot of times (not saying this is you) people click past the early warnings because they just want to get the day’s work done, so they never see the warnings again. Then when the end finally comes, they haven’t prepared.

Just think all this should be sorted in the background by these companies working together.

They did. Most of the major issues were resolved over a year ago. The problem for users is that the older the software that was in use, the more the solution involves paying for a current version. Because that is where the problems were resolved: In major software updates, which took a lot of work and rewriting, which is why they want to charge for them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/release-note/release-notes-photoshop-cs6.html

On Windows, both Adobe Photoshop CS6 and Adobe Photoshop CS6 Extended have the option to run natively in either 32-bit or 64-bit editions. On Macintosh, only a 64-bit edition is available.

Photoshop will automatically install the 32-bit version of Photoshop CS6 if you are on a 32-bit Windows OS. Photoshop will install both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Photoshop on 64-bit systems. To install only the Photoshop 64-bit version on a 64-bit Windows OS, follow the steps below:

1. Run the Photoshop CS6 installer.
  2. Enter your serial number. Click Accept.
  3. On the right side of the Options panel under the 64-bit heading, deselect the option for Photoshop CS6. Leave the "Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64-bit)" option selected.
  4. Finish the installation.

Known issues

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've upgraded to Catalina IOS on my Mac - and now things like Photoshop, Illustrator won't open/work. I've now realised it's something to do with incompatabilty (32 versus 64 bit - whatever that means). Where were the warnings? I've paid good money for this software.

I'm juat a naive non-computer geek user who assumes that it normal practice to contanstanly upgrade to lates IOS (especially when prompted).

Catalina is not the newest version of macOS (not iOS, which is for mobile). It was released in 2019 and was followed by Big Sur and Monterey. Ventura is now in beta.

This is not the first time a macOS update has forced an upgrade to all apps. I've lost count, but I think it's 5 or 6 now. It's a best practice not to assume anything. You can turn off automatic updates and ask here or in the Apple forums if there will be any issues before instead of after making an update.

You can use CS6 as long as you like if you keep your same hardware and macOS. Since you've already made the update to Catalina, your choices now are to roll back to your previous macOS or to update your software.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines