• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Would anyone recommend a Lenovo Yoga 3 pro for Photoshop and InDesign?

New Here ,
Mar 16, 2015 Mar 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would anyone recommend a Lenovo Yoga 3 pro for Photoshop and InDesign?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

General consensus is that's a pretty good 2-in-1. I think the only real negative I've heard is battery life. (Around 8 hours? Can't remember.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the screen size and resolution?  We see a lot of people very upset that the Photoshop UI is too small to see on tiny Lenovo notebooks with very high DPI screens

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen is 13 inch and a 3200 x 1800 res. So yeah, small small small.

Benjamin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Benjamin Root Photography wrote:

Screen is 13 inch and a 3200 x 1800 res. So yeah, small small small.

Benjamin

At least the OP had the good sense to come here and ask before wasting his dollars on unsuitable hardware.  Even with the 200% UI tweak, I'd steer well clear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amen to that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌Do you guys think I should stick to a mac book pro?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 17, 2015 Mar 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, they definitely have a lot more power and can run Photoshop fine. They cost $$$$ though

Benjamin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was looking at a Yoga 3 and decided against it for the DPI issue as well.  Plus I thought that it just didn't feel that solid or have that terrific Lenovo keyboard.

I do a lot of Photoshop and Lightroom, from simple photo editing to 100 layer composites.  But I also needed a computer for business.  I ended up settling on a Lenovo T450S.  I haven't really run it through the paces with PS yet, but so far I'm very happy.  I ended up getting the i7, but I'm not convinced it makes a sizable difference in performance; you can save a couple hundred with the i5.  I got 4 gb of ram and put in 8 gb of my own, as well as a SSD (much cheaper than letting Lenovo do it).  1980 IPS screen (no touch) - I can't imagine going any denser than that on a 14" screen.  All in it was about $1300 and change for an upper end version.  As I said, I haven't done really heavy PS with it, but in my initial tests it's running quite snappy.  And the build and feel is great, similar to MacBook, but you don't have to deal with iOS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rkelly0137 wrote:

I was looking at a Yoga 3 and decided against it for the DPI issue as well.

Goodness.  All these sensible people all of a sudden.  It makes a welcome change to coming here enraged _after_ they find they can't use the notebook with Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LupeRamirez wrote:

Do you guys think I should stick to a mac book pro?

There's little room in my heart for anything Apple, but when it comes to laptops - yeah, I think the MBP is the best out there. Very sensible machine, well worth the price. Good display too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, the 8 GB one might do very simple tasks with Photoshop, but it is going to heat up badly, if it will run Ps at all. Photoshop's system requirements state a 2 GHz processor or better - Yoga 3 pro has a 1.1 GHz processor.

I would not recommend it.

Benjamin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2015 May 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, the Yoga 3 has an i7 processor option, so don't be fooled by the base options. A 2.4GHz dual core processor should handles PS just fine for average use. As for the screen size, I agree with the rest here. Unless you use dual 24" monitors which I do

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 13, 2015 May 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a noticeable difference between the performance of my desktop with an old i7 (4770k) and the new low power i7 in my Lenovo T450s.  It still manages, but it's not near as smooth as my desktop.  Not all i7s are equal.  Could I go back I'd save the money and just get the i5 version.

I'm curious how the Yoga 3 is performing in LR and PS for you guys.  My T450s can't scroll in Lightroom or Bridge, using the trackpad or trackpoint.  It's really annoying.  Crippling actually.  I've looked around and it seems a common problem with Lenovo for some time now.  I haven't had time to try one of the workarounds yet, but they seem to be met with limited success.  It's a glaring issue, that Lenovo doesn't seem to care to address.  As much as I like my T450s, I wouldn't recommend a Lenovo to anybody who works with LR due to this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2015 May 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're absolutely right. Not all i7's are equal. For an unknown reason, the 5th gen i7 is a downgrade from the older quad-core desktop i7. I have one in my Dell XPS laptop and it does PS amazingly. I'm just considering for basic use it would be capable. I have yet to actually try PS or LR on a Yoga 3 though. But I am considering it since it's for work and I need a lightweight tablet-style PC for other portions of my job while allowing me to do PS work for other functions of my job. I have yet to find a convertible laptop that can provide the best of both worlds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2015 Aug 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Benjamin Root wrote:

Well, the 8 GB one might do very simple tasks with Photoshop, but it is going to heat up badly, if it will run Ps at all. Photoshop's system requirements state a 2 GHz processor or better - Yoga 3 pro has a 1.1 GHz processor.

I would not recommend it.

Benjamin

Hi Benjamin!  I have a Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro Intel Core M-5Y71 CPU @ 1.20GHz 1.40GHz and 8G ram, Windows 8.1.  I'm going to subscribe to Adobe CC today and give it a try (14 day cancellation for full refund). I hadn't planned on working at home after my Dell laptop crashed, so I bought the Y3, but design is also my passion, so if I can use my Y3 at home, I'd love to!

I'll post in a few days on how Y3 handles  speed and functionality. I have an external 24" monitor, wireless keyboard and mouse.  I'll look into a cooling pad to see if that helps with heating up.  Fingers crossed and rib-cage corseted!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2016 Mar 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did it work out?

I tried indesign on the lenovo y3p but on the new win10 i just cant run it. After installation on starting the program it hangs up ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 06, 2016 Mar 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Don't get anything less than a 2.4ghz cpu with 8gb ram....you'll just be frustrated with the creative experience with anything less.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should work fine, just check the screen resolution and the gfx-card. Most important parts for graphics and design.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello everyone.i am working on my cs6 can anybody tell me how can i undress my self......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't need a computer nor Photoshop to undress yourself..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines