Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Feature request: support Pass Through Blending Mode for Smart Objects

Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2022 Jun 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My situation:

I have a texture folder (pass through) with three layers (one multiply, two normal).

This texture folder is rather large (170 mb, 4k file), and I'm using it in many files, so I want to use a linked smart object, so I can reuse the same psd everywhere, and save space (and sanity during editing).

Problem: once I transform my folder into a smart object the pass through / multiply are gone, and my combined images doesn't look good.

If I could use a pass through blending mode on my smart objects, I think I wouldn't have this problem.

This feature request was also mentioned here in 2018, and the same example image applies. We can't see the building through the blue smart object, because pass-through is unavailable: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/smart-objects-need-to-retain-blend-mo...

Idea No status
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
4 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2022 Jun 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Example images from my own PSD. First is the pass through folder with the desired look, second is the linked smart object

Jeroen23034473f4pr_0-1654280045544.png

Jeroen23034473f4pr_1-1654280076721.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2022 Jun 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a workaround, for anyone stumbling on this issue: make a PSD file for every layer in your folder, and use them as a linked smart object. Then for each linked smart object, you can choose the blending mode you want (multiply / overlay in my case).

If your goal was to decrease file size, it might not help though, because PS (frustratingly, and inexcusably imo), saves a copy of the render of the 'linked' smart object in the composite PSD. See this discussion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,
Jul 17, 2022 Jul 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm all for it, but I suspect there must be a good reason for how it works now...

I remember the day I had the idea to also use a linked helper document with a lot of adjustment layer variations, for which I could pick the Layer Comps in my main document. Then I noticed it needs a base layer inside the Smart Object... 😞
-

Another workaround is to copy your current (merge all) view into the Smart Object (helper doc) as the background layer, view stuff inside of it (like pre-made Layer Comps) , and have the preferred (adjustment) layers copied to your main file.

This is not really a linked Smart Object in the end (as we delete it), but can be a related method of using a pre-made helper file. I guess the advantage is that the layers will never change, as they are now copied into your main document. A negative, depending on your use, might be file size (for example, if your case would need copying over many texture layers) or if you want the layers to change when the master doc is changed. For just a few layers and mainly adjustments, copying is however no issue and can be a plus. But to do all of this in an effortless way, you have to have a head for scripting...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,
Jul 17, 2022 Jul 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hm... To be more clear, the way I would do it is not to start with a (linked) S.O., but just open the helper file, paste my current (merged) view into it as its background, go through pre-made Layer Comps, copy the layers I picked, close helper doc w/o saving, paste layers in main doc.

For your Layer Comps to work well, you have to paste (or maybe merge down) to a pre-made background layer that was already included in the Comps, or they will just make your pasted layer invisible.

Votes

Translate

Translate