• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Option for lengthening the slider bar for brush size context menu (easier adjustment)

Explorer ,
Jul 28, 2023 Jul 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The context menu for the brush tool (right click) is adjustable in dimensions, but the slider bar stays the same width no matter how far you expand the menu.

As the size adjustment gets very exponential towards the larger sizes (let´s say above 1000px) the adjustment gets quite finicky.

Thus it would be nice if the slider bar would follow the width of the enlarged menu so one could make easier fine adjustements.

-------- Mac Mini M2 Pro, Ventura 13.4, PS 24.7.1 --------
Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
4 Comments
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Felix.  Can you tell us which photoshop version you are using, and also your Mac OS version?

I have seen several posts about UI issues like having no icons in the Toolbar, and I have have a recurring issue with no icons in the Adjustments panel, but what you are describing is new to me.

The recently updated full release (24.7) is looking OK on my Windows 11 system, and it's the same with the recent beta version update (25.0)

image.pngMy own experience is that the issue is intermittent, so try a few restarts, and if you have the beta version installed, check that as well.  I have just checked and my UI issue seems to be 100% OK for 25.0, and 100% failed with the 24.7 beta version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Trevor,

Im working on a Mac Mini Pro, Vetura 13.4, PS 24.7.

But I do not think that this is a bug, it´s a missing feature (therefore posted in the Ideas section). I´m not talking about the slider bar to adjust the preview of the brush tips. It´s the slider bar that actually adjusts the size of the active brush. This bar stays the same width regardless of menu size and was like that as long as I remember, but really displeasing when the max brush size went up to 5000px.

Bildschirmfoto 2023-07-29 um 00.58.35.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, with you now.  That has never been any different in my memory.  The slider does appear to increase in a sort of logarithmic scale with the last 5% or so going from 1000 to the max 5000 pixels

image.png

What has changed, over the years, is that we now have more ways to adjust the brush size.  The Alt (Opt) right click and drag works well because its visual representation shows relative to the document size with a useful heads up display widget.

image.png

I use the above method  and the Express wheel on my tablet, along with the cursor keys for fine adjustment.  I don't think I use the slider in the right click panel, but what I do do is right click and Tab which gives the brush size focus. Try doing that and holding down the Shift key along with the up and down arrow keys arrow keys.  It moves pretty fast and then you can let go of the shift key to fine tune.

The bottom line here is that I suspect it unlikely that slider will ever change, so we adapt out workflows to make the most of what we have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 29, 2023 Jul 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That´s what I meant Trevor, the lack of granularity when selecting the larger brush sizes. I get that you don´t need 1px accuracy when you want a 2000px tip size, but a wider slider could keep the logarithmic gain and still provide finer scaling.

But I guess you´re right, it´s probably time to break with old habits and look for other convenient methods to adjust it. Still, it would be only a small correction in the UI (I mean the slider on the bottom of the menu does scale with the menu size)... one can hope 🙂

Anyway, many thanks for the suggestions, I´ll look into them.

Votes

Translate

Translate