• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Ability to arrange & customize save-as file formats so popular formats are at the top

Participant ,
Jun 25, 2011 Jun 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop supports about 20 formats, but I only use 4 or 5 of them. It's bugged me since 5.5 to have to fish for jpeg somewhere in the middle of the list. Can the file formats get arranged by most commonly used? And maybe allow us to remove stuff like targa and large file format that nobody uses.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 188 Replies 188
188 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it’s absurd. They can code a whole new photoshop on the iPad but not allow you to customize the save menu like you can customize another menus. Shameful indeed as we need less things to wade through every time we save an image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope everyone is clicking on the "VOTE" button up the top, otherwise the comment is wasted.

I put it on Facebook on Adobe's page, and I think about three people liked it. Not enough, and of course no reply...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's wild, I posted this almost a decade ago.
I'm still using photoshop, and still accidentally picking jpeg2000 sometimes lol.

Keep encouraging votes y'all!
Ideas with fewer votes have gotten implemented.
It's not unrealistic to hope for it.

I think it'd be funny if 50+ year old me, is saying "almost there people! Adobe's bound to listen soon!"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the other thing for me is how unreadable the format list is in Win10...
my display is 3500px wide and the save as window is open to a normal width. Everytime i go to Save As, i still have to scan the list a few times to find the format i want.
and i've been using Ps professionally for 25 years!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wild fact(oid): Photoshop still has IFF in the list. IFF predates Windows 1.0 by almost a year.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 25, 2020 Jul 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

went through all the comments. no luck. which wastes even MORE time. There's two companies that have gone from great to horrific more than any other, except, I dunno, maybe Enron... in my lifetime: Apple and Adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jul 25, 2020 Jul 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PORTABLE BITMAP!! ?? Does anybody use this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean, they kind of need to update that dialogue anyway for Webp format. Smaller lossy files than jpeg, smaller lossless than PNG, plus transparency support. 

Not asking for much adobe, you already made a fancy custom OPEN dialogue that nobody asked for, now just do that for save except less fancy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying to get a change from a company like Adobe calls to mind the monolith scene from 2001.

I have used Photoshop in one form or another since the 1990s.

How many people use Pixar other than people who work for the company?  Do they still use it?

I supposed with the many options in the Preferences pane that there would be a set of checkboxes for the desired file formats in the "Save As" dialog.  Nope.  Like many I found my way to this thread and up-voted it.

The trouble with creating an action or script for saving in a favorite type is to find a key equivalent that is memorable and available.  So many are taken up by the multitude of Adobe settings.

Of course this is the same company which leaves Acrobat "Pro" (really "Amateur") with OCR ("Text Recognition") as a single-threaded process in a world where most computers come with 8 or more processor cores.  I have installed a Python script (OCRmyPDF) which runs from the command line and is much faster but should not an expensive subscription program like Acrobat make the most of the available hardware capacity?

I've been using Macs since 1985 and most of the flagship software products available for it for most of that time.  Sometimes open source is the only way to go.  At least there a change can be made without being tied up in quite so much red tape as Adobe seems to be mired in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps one reason that the thread has not received many votes is that the feature is broken (at least for me today on Crome on the Mac).  Each time I have tried to click the up-vote, I get "Failed to perform the conversation activity, please try again."  

How many would give up upon seeing that message twice?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@gordon_greaves

yes, you're right. I've never received any communication about this issue. Re-reading the original comments from almost 10 years ago, Cox mentioned that this isn't a "simple coding change" and what i wonder, is why? Why is Ps built in such a way that changes to the UI like this aren't simple coding changes? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"But it's a feature request with only a few people supporting it.
We have thousands of requests, many of which have much more support behind them.
And no, this is not a simple coding change at all."

(Chris Cox - Jan 24 2016)

----------

I'm a longtime IT professional, so I managed to know hundreds of software developers along the years, and I know exactly what means the expression "This isn't a simple coding change", mentioned 5 years ago by this ex-Adobe member in this same thread.

It's real meaning is "This change would take some hours, maybe minutes of our precious time, but as we're creatures blessed with infinite knowledge and wisdom, we don't think a request made by inferior creatures like you poor users is really worth our effort."

Sarcasm aside, it's not far from the truth...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please refer to this 10-year-old request on the Photoshop Feedback section:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/photoshop/photoshop-ability-to-arrange-customize-saveas...

About time something got done about this...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop feature request: customize the order of formats in save dialog

It would be great to give Photoshop users the option to customize the order is which file formats are displayed in save dialog window, so that regularly used formats would be at the top? Like Tiff first, then JPEG.

How many times have we all laboriously scrolled down to the Tiff or another file type only to accidentally slide past and end up with a Targa? Then go back and re-save, delete the Targa and carry on. Mulitiply the cost of this time wasted by the number of users worldwide, and the number of times it occurs daily. It boggles the mind how much time must be lost yearly. 

Can this be changed in future versions? Or is there a work around?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the save dialog is a complete mess and it should definitely be improved in order to make workflows more streamlined.

But you should have created this FR as an "idea" so that we could upvote your idea:

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Dominik_Source  Done! TY.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, this request goes back at least 20 years and continues to be a source of daily frustration. I'm merging your post with the main one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS for Mac 2021: That file is no longer in the plugins folder 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe comparing the save dialog with other apps might help prompt a change?

Pixelmator
AffinityPhoto

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 20, 2021 Aug 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe there are a number of file formats in the standard Save As dialogue which are rarely, if ever, used nowadays. I have roughed-out a section for the Prefs which could go into the Export section, maybe renaming it as "Export/Save As".
There are a few formats which one would not think of deselecting (and maybe GIF should be one of them) but having used Save As a lot recently, it's frustrating to touch "T" for example if I want a TIF format and to have Targa come up and then have to use the mouse or arrow keys to finally select TIF. Just let us remove options we never use in Prefs, see attached example, with the ability to reinstate them if/when they become necessary. It would really speed up my workflow.

Releaseprefs-e8deea66-92a6-4370-93ac-57c19b31bf85-115899492.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh, the mockup screenshot got my excited. "oh they finally added it? In preferences"... haha nope. I like your thinking though. I envisioned a drag-and-droppable list. Either would be fine. Crazy it's been a decade. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 26, 2021 Dec 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bump. I just upvoted (pretty sure that I did on the old feedback site too, so you may be able to double your vote if you did vote at the old site).

With all of the recent changes around Save a Copy, Preferences > File Handling: Enable legacy Save As and Do not append copy etc. it is time to start beating this dead horse again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 26, 2021 Dec 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop uses scripts with a GUI to perform many functions, many users wouldn't even realise that they are using a script and would just consider this a part of the compiled interface.

So whenever I use xbytor's Image Processor Pro script, I think what could be achieved by a user with advanced scripting knowledge. We could have a configurable interface for saving files, which we could assign custom keyboard shortcuts to...

IPP.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated to PS 2022 and there are just 10 file formats for Save - the most common ones. If I hit 'T' I can jump to TIF.

I am so pleased - THANK YOU ADOBE (yes, I wanted to shout). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are now 22 file format options when saving a file.

I use 2, .tif and .jpg 99% of the time.

I would like to speed up my workflow by allowing the user to customize the dropdown menu options.

Either let me choose what formats are at the top and/or remove the unwanted formats altogether in preferences.

Adobe can do this as it is already putting its own file format at the top of the list.

So I know it's a feature that they can add.

I'm aware that it's only an extra 1/2 second or so of my time but I've been using PS since 1995. Added up over the years, finding and clicking the correct file format from that dropdown menu has got to have taken up several days' worth of my time.  

It's a simple thing that would make the professionals here happy.

Votes

Translate

Translate