• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Ability to organize and reorder Paragraph / Character Styles in the Styles panel via drag & drop

LEGEND ,
Jul 28, 2013 Jul 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is currently no way to drag and drop styles to move them around in the Character / Paragraph Styles pallette in Photoshop CC. It makes the management of styles difficult once you have more than a dozen or so in that pallette. Please correct this!

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
50 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 05, 2013 Aug 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 08, 2013 Sep 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just noticed this wasn't implemented in Photoshop 14.1 update - is this something that can be done? Can you also add folders / groups to further organise things as seen in ID / AI?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 08, 2013 Sep 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please include the ability to re-arrange styles in the Styles / Character Styles / Paragraph Styles panels, via drag and drop just as it works in Illustrator / Indesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 18, 2013 Dec 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a UI designer, and I like the Paragraph Styles feature, but the inability to reorder my styles is a major drawback. I have dozens of styles in our UI Kit that are all out of order.

Reordering the styles from the panel itself would be ideal, but at the very least it would be helpful if they could be reordered in the preset manager, similar to color swatches.

Anything at this point would be great. Please try to work this into the next update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 21, 2014 Jan 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave, I noticed this hasn't been added as of the January 2014 update. Any word on when we might see this issue resolved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 22, 2014 Jan 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I have no update at this time.

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 22, 2014 Jan 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's fine. I would figure it would be an easy fix to do this though, given that every other style palette in the CC range allows you to do this. I've pretty much had to do my mockups in Illustrator and leave Photoshop behind so I could just keep my styles organised, so it would be nice to come back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 18, 2014 Feb 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is about time this is included in the next update. It works in other Adobe software, but why does this not work in Photoshop? This is really bogging down my workflow.

As a temporary fix to this problem, it would be good to know if there is a specific location where the style palettes are saved so I can at least edit/reorganize them manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 18, 2014 Feb 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems like a no brainer. From a users perspective, it's totally intuitive that you would be able to drag and arrange. It's completely frustrating that you cannot, or that there seems to be no workaround. Please push a fix soon, this thread is 7 months old.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 10, 2014 Mar 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is so frustrating! I use Photoshop for web design so keeping my styles organized is essential to reducing bloat and clutter in my CSS files. I need a way to see which styles are almost similar so I can reconsolidate them and streamline my use of fonts, weights, sizes and colors. This should not have been implemented before it was at least mature enough to use correctly. So far I at least name my styles with a system, but since the palette doesn't even force alphabetical ordering of styles it gets really hard to get an overview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 18, 2014 Jun 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sharing the frustration here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 19, 2014 Jun 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Big Update for Photoshop today (cc 2014) and still no option for reordering paragraph styles.
#stillfrustrated

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 19, 2014 Jun 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another CC release emerges, and this still hasn't been corrected anytime soon - this indicates that it's not going to happen, it's probably something too deeply integrated into PS to fix. That's the feeling I got from Chris Cox over 9 months ago when he said that the 'normal palette' can't do this. So I'm thinking this won't be sorted until a major rewrite of PS happens.

I'll just keep doing my web design mockups in Illustrator until Photoshop is somewhat more competent at handling styles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 26, 2014 Sep 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, being able to sort this list is really important.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 05, 2014 Nov 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On top of being able to reorder styles and put them in folders it would be really useful to be able to export all styles directly to CSS from the panel. It's bizarre that such basic functionality has been left out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 09, 2014 Dec 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still not able to do this. December 2014

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 09, 2014 Dec 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hades will surely freeze over before this problem is solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 18, 2014 Dec 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't rearrange paragraph styles in Paragraph Styles panel

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 18, 2014 Dec 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, it would be great to move Paragraph and Character Styles inside its Panel (e.g. like in Layer Comps Panel).

Next I would like to group Paragraph and Character Styles (e.g. Headers to be all together in one Group).

And finally it would be great to save each Paragrap and Character Styles dependent on project i have made.

Thank you.:)

Dominika

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 17, 2015 Jan 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe this is even a conversation taking place. Honestly. You launch a totally half baked "product feature" and then wait for customers to hit the forums to have frustrating conversations about how half baked the feature is and then to cast votes so that we can have the half baked feature fixed? It's like a script from a comedy.

What Adobe needs is some competition. They have a complete monopoly and they know it. They will continue to produce lazy software until someone else comes along and lights a fire under them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 17, 2015 Jan 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think what David means is that Adobe has a 50% consistency policy across their software. In other words 50% might be consistent, the other 50% will not be. If things are too consistent then they become too user friendly, which in turn reduces the need to upgrade in the hope that the next version will be more user friendly.

The only way to stay in business is to create a suite of applications that only sort of work together, but fail in key fundamental areas that you depend on, and then promise customers that the next version will be better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 19, 2015 Jan 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, what I mean is that due to other constraints, we have not had a chance to add the functionality you've requested.  You may have noted, however, that we've added other functionality to this and other features.

I'm personally a fan of doing the work you suggest, but it needs to be balanced against all the other work and priorities we have.  Perhaps you work in a domain with infinite resources and no constraints?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 30, 2015 Mar 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any news on if this is likely to appear in the next PS update? Also it would be great if we could also use folders in the panels to organise styles, as you can currently do in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 17, 2015 Jun 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well it seems this update hasn't yet made it into the latest update to Photoshop (June 2015) making it completely unmanageable for working on a document with anything more than a dozen text styles in it (eg a mobile app or website mockup, which seems to be where Adobe is pushing Photoshop these days).

I can't tell you how frustrating it is to create a bunch of styles and then not have the ability to reorder them or put them in folders like you can in all the other Adobe programs. It took 4 years for the Glyphs panel to appear since it was first suggested... How long will it take to get this fixed once and for all?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 17, 2015 Jun 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any updates on the progress of this Dave? It looks like we still can't reorder or classify styles as of June 2015. It's really important functionality for web and mobile app developers and I still have to do my mockups in Illustrator just so I can manage text styles which seems crazy...

Votes

Translate

Translate