• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Ability to scale noise in the Add Noise filter

LEGEND ,
Mar 26, 2014 Mar 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be great to be able to scale the Add Noise filter in Photoshop! Grain and Texturizer don't quite do the same thing, and the roundabout way of adding noise to a grey layer, scaling duplicating using multiply / screen settings - is obviously a real pain. It seems like such a simple but critical function for high-end retouchers.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
12 Comments
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2022 Dec 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

High-end retoucher here finding this 8 years later, still searching for a straightforward way to scale noise! Hoping this gets bumped

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 03, 2022 Dec 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have added my vote!

High-end retoucher here finding this 8 years later, still searching for a straightforward way to scale noise! Hoping this gets bumped

By @afiore

I have always used actions for this, such as the 2:1 (x2) scale noise action:

smart-noise-action.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5rmz0b6c7a40h7y/Smart%20Noise%20CS3.atn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 05, 2022 Dec 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I had posted a FR to get an add noise Layer style...

Here it is! https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-ideas/photoshop-new-layer-style-noise/idi-p/12250...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 05, 2022 Dec 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I had posted a FR to get an add noise Layer style.

@PECourtejoie – That is what the Apodaca adjustment layer sort of achieves, however, I agree that a live, scaleable layer style or adjustment layer with the ability to "randomize" and control the fade into shadows and highlights would be great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 22, 2023 Aug 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Juse found a solution. Download an image of white noise (probably multiple variations of white noise). Then you can bring it into photoshop as a .jpeg and scale it, play around with blending modes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that's not really a solution and has also been possible to do within Ps for decades now... you don't need to find/download a noise file, since you can just make the same in Ps, save, place, scale.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't say it was a new solution, just a solution to simulate noise at different scales. We're effectively saying the exact same thing. You're saying to create a noise profile in Ps, save, then re-import it and scale it. I'm saying take one step out. Just download an image file of white noise, place, and scale.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Speaking as a high-end retoucher, the solution for me since 15 years ago is to simply create (via an Action) a 50% grey layer, convert to a smart object, set blend mode to soft light or overlay, then apply ACR grain.

and yes, it's absolutely ridiculous that Adobe hasn't updated the Filter/Noise/Add Noise tool since the 90s. By this time we should have several different grain types with multiple options for each. I think long ago, Adobe forgot that Photoshop was created for adjusting photos. The core tools of sharpening and noise have been totally neglected for decades now. What was good enough in the 90s isn't good enough today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

most noise that you'll find online has been compressed and scaling it will only amplify the compression.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great to meet a fellow retoucher! I should clarify. My problem pertains to retouching a photo that already has natural noise from the camera that took it due to ISO. In Lightroom, the grain (noise) slider will generate noise at one scale. If you crop the photo in (so it's smaller) the noise scale doesn't change. So, for photos that are smaller in resolution, the noise appears bigger and for photos that are larger in resolution, the noise is finer. Let's say that photo gets exported, and then imported into Ps. If you use Generative fill on that photo (using Photoshop Beta) it will erase the noise in the area that you used the Generative Fill in. So, we're left with the problem of the original noise in the photo and "noiseless" areas. Now, using Ps's noise filter is only going to create noise at one scale which may not match the scale of the original noise, which again, may be at a larger scale. Your method of creating a solid 50% grey layer > convert to smart object > adding noise > scaling --doesn't actually scale the noise. It just applies the same scale of noise to the now-larger smart object. However, if you rasterize the layer before you scale it, you'll be able to get larger scale noise which is exactly the same as downloading an image of noise, importing, and scaling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you apply ACR grain on a SO, you can always go back and change the size of the noise after scaling the canvas... since one of the options in ACR noise is "Size"

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I"ll look into it! Which version of Photoshop are you using just to make sure I'll be able to find it?

Votes

Translate

Translate