Adjustable grid size for the warp tool

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019
This feature has been implemented in Photoshop 2020 (version 21.0). You can have a grid with any number of grid points, and you can place custom grid points anywhere. You can also multi-select grid points and transform them together.

Enjoy!

Votes

Translate

Translate
78 Comments
Explorer ,
Jan 03, 2016 Jan 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe - its been a few years since this request has been brought up - any feedback from you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 14, 2016 Apr 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just hit the same road block on a project that others have been describing here for years.  Please add this feature!  It would make fast work of UV mapping work for us 3D artists that use PSD texture files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 20, 2016 Apr 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think if you make photoshop as good as possible the payoff may not be immediately felt but it will have payoff in the long term. Adobe make so much money. they shoud do whatever it takes to make the software as good as possible. Sometimes see creating the tool itself as an art, and as in art the rewards can come in terms of appreciation of  the overall name of the artist and attention that it brings. TO say we cant develop this because it doesnt immediately reward the investment is seeing photosip solely as a business. If there is no real care for those using it, i feel that is very, very sad. If you look at the ancient acheivements of the world - creating the great monuments, churches, for example, the cost and return was a very small part of the creator's inspiration. Be a little deeper, please. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
Apr 21, 2016 Apr 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoline has had a really nice non-destructive warp (it is called distort in PL) for years, which allows for any number of  columns and rows. Even includes a lighting effect.

Multiple distortions and warps can even be stacked, if required.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 01, 2016 Dec 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would love Adobe to comment on this and implement it. Mari has an excellent warp tool which allows you to do this - I wish photoshop had the same options! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this Photoline - do you use it along with PS? I'm just looking for more warping options to correct wide angle lens distortions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously - why do little workflow improvements like this get overlooked while they are messing around with the UI for the millionth time? This one or add a custom color to a path or a way to see which colors have been adjusted in the hue/sat dropdown? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 02, 2016 Dec 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's Nuke's highly flexible and customiseable grid warp in action; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SthlyRNXbkU

I'd love to see something similar in pshop that can be used along with smart layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, that makes the Photoshop warp tool look completely amateur... not only that, it's doing it on video.

damn! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is really amazing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is amazing. Why can't Photoshop have even 25% of those features in warp? That would fundamentally help my post production.
Now I'm more annoyed at Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In PS is liquify and it has face features.  You can show, save and load mesh. Anyway you don't have perfect control (except face features) because it's more about painting than points positioning. But you can use mask and use it as Smart Filter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats why I suggested here literally years ago to add a warp tool to the liquify dialogue so you can move pixels like painting as well as shifting pixels more fluidly like the warp grid lines. Even if they added more grid lines to warp - there is no mesh feature - so adding warp to liquify would be really helpful for that reason alone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bet they don't know how to do that 😉
Proove me wrong Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mariusz Janecki: Just for curious... What is more important for you. Fixing bugs and workflow breaks or new features? 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 21, 2017 Feb 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just use Nuke X  bunch of posers

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 19, 2017 May 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi sorry I didn't find this group earlier, I started another one in the same line "
How to Modify grid/net/web in transformation in number of lines and color ?"
here is what I wrote there:

Hi, I am using photoshop CS5. I am working with electron microscopy images that are in gray "color" only. I need to use the deformation tools and free transformation. In free transformation a selection separating the image in 9 squares with 2 horizontal and 2 vertical lines.

1- I would love to know how to increase the numbers of these h & v lines since I need to apply very subtle warping deformation to my images

2- Since my images are grey and the line of the selection too... I would also love to know how to change the color of these lines

Thank you so much

then Dave answered:

Do you mean the grid?

If so, you can set it in Preferences  - Guides, Grids and Slices where you choose divisions, subdivisions and colour.

This screenshot is CS6 , the oldest version I have installed, but the options are the same

Image is not available

Dave

I precised my point:

Thanks for your interest

Sorry I was not clear, I wrote grid/net/web trying to describe le colors of the lines that border the 9 squares that appears when you go Ctrl+T (transformation) then click on the icon that allows switchs between free transform and deform:

Image is not available

Image is not available

those lines are grey and I cannot see them on the image I work with. Is there a way to change this parameter of color somewhere from gray to say red ?

Thanks a lot

JM Hermel

Dave replied

Hi

No, at present the Warp grid is limited to 9 squares and the grid is fixed at light grey / dark grey depending on the content behind it.

There is an old and ongoing feature request for more squares here, you may wish to add your comments:

Photoshop: Adjustable grid size for the warp tool | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Dave

Hi Dave thanks a lot for your time and expertise, too bad for me thought. It is strange that you can parameter all grids, lines etc and not this one. I guess it is the same problem with de puppet tool the lines are also light gray by default and not parametrable ? Well photoshop is alike us almost perfect but perfectible. Thanks anyway.

JM Hermel

Well every thing is said already above, the improvement of this tool has been called for years now. May be in a couple of version we will see this improvement coming. Have a nice one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
May 19, 2017 May 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, the implementation of the warp/distort and liquify tools in PhotoLine might serve as an example: the warp tool allows for a custom warp grid by simply clicking on the edges.

Distortions can be stacked using grouping, and the liquify function is implemented as a non-destructive layer, and any number of liquify layers can be stacked. Even the resolution can be changed independently for each liquify layer.

And liquify layers may be cloned/instanced for re-use throughout the layer stack: update the original liquify layer, and the clones update in realtime.

Very flexible. It would be nice if Photoshop's distort/warping and liquify tools would offer similar options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 03, 2018 Jan 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So much pseudo intelectualizing here. It's pathetic. So many features have been added over the years and you're telling us now that adding a simple option that allows us to add more columns and rows to the warp tool grid is somehow beyond Adobe's scope. That it somehow takes up too much resources and it's not something people want? That must be the biggest joke of all time in the history of photoshop. There must be some other reason, political or god knows what. Otherwise it just makes Adobe look like a pack of pathetic bumbling ogres.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 04, 2018 Jan 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you really think that it makes no noticeable difference whether an operation can operate on the basis of a fixed number of parameters or on the basis of a varying (and potentially much huger) number of parameters? 

I would assume that the issue is naturally not beyond the Photoshop programmers’ capabilities but the demand does not not seem overwhelming at current.
I suppose 39 votes is not bad on this Forum but still a ways off from impressive.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey anyone Adobe - any thoughts on this? I was just playing around with PhotoLine's distort with arrows feature and its a very similar to my idea of having a way to transform an image using Bezier path tools. It's not done very well in PhotoLine (or else I'd just use that for warping) but if you could have a function like Liquify but instead use Bezier curves to transform an image that would be really powerful. Also having the save/load mesh capability would be essential to recreate the transformations. Again Puppet Warp has the tiniest idea of this but its done so poorly and it is seemingly a forgotten tool at this point. I am looking at this from an architectural image point of view - to make interiors look less distorted from wide angle images. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes the request was made 6 years ago, multiple threads were combined into this one.
Not one response from an Adobe representative.
I'd be happy to share any thoughts if it helps get this some attention. Basically transform warp needs a customizable number of control points. Even better would be the ability to warp those points using Bezier curves like the Pen tool.

Photoshop: Adjustable grid size for the warp tool

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/it_would_be_cool_the_have_an_adjustable_grid_...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes users don't know they need a tool until they're able to actually use it... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Affinity has a great implementation of the Warp tool if the folks at Adobe are looking for a little inspiration...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, and updated warp tool with more editing points would be sooooo great! I run into too many instances where I open the warp tool too warp something, but I just can't warp the spot I want moved. 

Thanks eartho - I'll have to try Affinity! 

Votes

Translate

Translate