Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Allow extraction of smart object layers

LEGEND ,
May 04, 2011 May 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Allow extraction of smart object items.
Currently you can rasterize the smart object - or manually drag the layers from the smart object back into the document - but it would be great if I could just select "extract objects".

And what if the smart object has been resized? Then you can give the alert:
This smart object has been scaled, would you like to extract the layers in their original size or in their scaled version?
[Original] [Scaled]
[ x ] Scale effects

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019
This feature has been implemented in Photoshop 2020 (version 21.0). Right-click on a Smart Object, and a new command "Convert to Layers" will convert that Smart Object back into one or more layers.

Enjoy!

Votes

Translate

Translate
53 Comments
Community Expert ,
Jan 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I can just imagine ignorami trying to blame anyone but themselves when, after ignoring or turning off the warnings, they notice the effect – possibly after having saved and closed the file ... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 22, 2018 Aug 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please allow:
• Reset Transformations of Smart Layers
• Unpack Smart Layer

Correct me if I'm wrong, but once you transform a smart object, the object itself cannot be reset. Instead, the user has to go into the smart object itself and copy it over to the main file again and try to recreate that layer.
My guess for why it's that way is that the smart layer is saved as an individual psb file within the main PSD with a combined preview sector, which is the sector being transformed. When that preview sector/layer is being transformed, could you guys make it so it keeps a copy of the original? The potential few-mb loss is worth it to save the time. Why make the users go through the runaround? Isn't the whole point of Smart Layers that they are truly non-destructive instead of partially?

Also, why not save the users time and allow unpacking of the smart layer in-place on the layer hierarchy, essentially undoing the smart layer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 22, 2018 Aug 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I am a web designer from Russia. I ask: 1) Make UNPACKING smart objects. It is very necessary. Decompress back to the main document. 2) Make the ability to edit, change the smart object directly to the MAIN document. It is comfortably and correctly for artist. Detached windows uncomfortable. NO NEW editing window smart object. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct me if I'm wrong, but once you transform a smart object, the object itself cannot be reset. 
At least you may not be completely right. 
Which transformations are you talking about? 
Warp for example can be set to »None«, scaling and rotation can be set to 100% and 0 ̊ respectively, but skew unfortunately has no representation in the Options Bar for SOs so far. (edited)

I think there were thread/s on resetting SO transformations with Scripting but I’m not sure if the approach panned out. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 02, 2018 Nov 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am I missing something or have we still not got a 'un-smart' object option? If I can right-click 'create smart object' why can't I simply right-click 'release' smart object? Not looking for work arounds or having to run scripts, it should be as simple as creating one, it's 2018 guys!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This drives me nuts too, but one thing to consider is that PS would have to resample whatever's in the smart object to release it to layers in the current file (unless the contents are only adjustment layers and other smart objects). So it could potentially be a destructive process. I still think it should be an option though, and those of us who know what we're doing can decide on a case by case basis if it's a good idea or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The key here is that any "Unsmart" operation would need to extract at the scale of the smart object instance or it's just the same as dragging from the open smart object into the main doc.

That's where Bereza's script listed above is truly magical... it will scale the layers *AND* the styles (to the best of it's abilities).

Anything short of that would just be frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, Bereza's scrip is brilliant and works almost perfectly. Almost - if liquify is applied to a SO inside the SO, it won't be translated correctly when 'unsmarted' in the target environment. This is due to the fact, that liquify operations are based on the canvas - not the object boundaries. Simply put, the liquify function should travel with the object and stay constant regardless the file size or canvas dimensions.

Another hot topic the Adobe PSD programers should consider addressing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think it would be destructive. If we are able to just drag layers out of the smart object back onto the original document then they can implement a feature doing exactly that without the mundane task of dragging and realigning everything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But when you drag the layers back in, often they're not the right size, so then you have to transform anyway. Either way you will get destruction. And if you did this in place (with the "release layers" command), the positioning will get thrown off anyway, unless the smart object happens to be perfectly centered within the current file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Destruction due to requirement of resampling contents (in many cases, not all). If this resampling occurs, then repositioning will be required (in almost all cases). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 03, 2018 Nov 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's correct. All smart filters are not supported because SO should have only one bitmap layer inside. Otherwise, it would look different in most of the cases. Only color adjustments could be as standalone adjustment layer clipped to the group with SO content inside.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2018 Nov 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's possible to do it with a script VERY quickly and efficiently so why can't photoshop do it natively? there is no destruction. (except of the original smart object). If you have a look at @Jaroslav Bereza's script it shows you the functionality that it should be able to replicate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 09, 2018 Nov 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't checked out the script yet but am curious now. I'll check it out when I'm done with my project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 09, 2019 Aug 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Photoshop gurus, would it be possible to add the "Shy" feature that is in After Effects to Photoshop? Either that or make an release feature for a Smart Object (Or UNsmart an object). I want to isolate one layer in a large file. In AE it's easy but in Photoshop there is no option that I can find. I know I can make a smart object but then I need to drag it back into my original file from the smart object but it would be easier to just turn on the shy button and then off.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This feature has been implemented in Photoshop 2020 (version 21.0). Right-click on a Smart Object, and a new command "Convert to Layers" will convert that Smart Object back into one or more layers.

Enjoy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 09, 2019 Dec 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stephen@BanfieldAgency Nielson, thank you for sharing this update!

A quick question, to clarify. Is the "Convert to Layers" option the same as the previous "Rasterize" option. In other words, does converting it to layers do something different from the rasterize process? Is there a difference, in terms of the quality of the raw data in the image, when converting it to layers, as opposed to rasterizing?

If there is a difference, would you mind explaining what it is exactly that each option actually does to the raw data vs. the metadata of adjustments carried over from Lightroom edits?

Much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stephen, Do you plan to implement the transformation part ? because for the moment the convertion does not retain the transformation it onle reverse back to the origial layer. I understand that transformation carry on should be optional because it does not fit every situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jimmy, it's not intended to be used with raw file smart object or illsutrator files  ( in wich case it just rasterize) but with composite smart objects containing several layer to paste the content layer into the original one. nothing more than you could do with opening the smart object and cuting/pasting the content. try it in photoshop create a smart object with several layers then Convert to layers will just simply reverse the process. Not a lot of use to me if they don't offer the possiblity to carry in the transformations applied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Olivier Heckendorn My script can apply transformation by default. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jaroslav Bereza thanks a lot for your contribution those scripts look wonderfull i need to give them a proper look. If you have time and have a look at this problem of mine http://bit.ly/2E7I3db maybe a script can do this even if it look more like a bug than a feature to me 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tested JB's script - it works flawlessly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tested this a lot. I used to use Jaroslav's script all the time but now, with the option in Photoshop it does exactly the same thing but quicker. My smart objects are all composite (created in photoshop) smart objects, I don't know about doing this with raw's or linked files though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My script does not care about color management, color mode, extra channels or pixel ratio. I didn't test it with RAWs. I needed this for myself and for webdesign. And Photoshop native features can be always faster than scripts if it is done right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jaroslav Bereza 's script is superior in every functional way. The new native feature is maybe a little faster and a little more convenient, but otherwise Adobe should try to bring it to parity with JB's script next release.

Votes

Translate

Translate