• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Bring back JPEG quality percentage to Export As dialog

Community Expert ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated to Photoshop version 22.5.0 and just noticed that File > Export > Export As has a majorly dumbed down JPEG quality menu. Photoshop is for professionals. Having accurate control over quality is import for optimizing to a small file size. Giving a few choices (and not even telling us what quality they are) is not acceptable for a pro app. I know for now I can go into prefs and use the legacy version, but please bring back the quality percentage!

I also posted this on the Photoshop Feedback website which I think is a more appropriate place to discuss this, but wanted to see what other people think. It's probably best to comment there so Adobe knows. Photoshop Feedback: Bring back JPEG quality percentage to Export As dialog 

{Moderator edited title - PS-71391}

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor
Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Thanks for the feedback. The team is looking at adding back this functionality. Be sure to hit the Upvote button.

As a workaround, you can enable Use legacy "Export As" under Preferences > Export

Note, this option is not available on Windows ARM and Apple M1 devices.

Status Under review

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Dan,

I agree, the elimination of JPEG quality percentage is quite an unwelcome surprise.

You can still export JPEG using percentages if you choose Export > Save for Web (legacy).

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jun 27, 2023 Jun 27, 2023

Thanks to all for the votes and requests -- this was released in 23.2! 

PeteGreen_0-1687906480372.png

Status Released

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 105 Replies 105
105 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although it is true that the legacy option is there, it is somehow broken.
The first few exports work fine, then every time you enter and exit the legacy Export As dialogue (wether completing an export, or cancelling the action), the software freezes for a few seconds with spinny rainbow wheel. When working a job like mine that requires repetitive exporting of hundred if not thousands of images (and because of company-wide workflow, Export As is the only option we can use), this becomes HIGHLY disruptive of the work of an entire team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 21, 2022 Mar 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please put the export quality slider back on a percentage scale. Thanks for considering and reading.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree. what's up with jpg quality 7 in this export setting? I don't think that is the highest quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Supposedly 7 = the old 12.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've only just noticed this as I updated to latest version of Photoshop (23.2.2 MacOS). The 'Export As' JPG quality control has been reduced from 0-100 to 1-7 (whole number) slider tool.
I think I'd be speaking for the digital designer industry, we really need that extra control to maximise quality just under a file size limit set by vendors and platforms.

I had to rollback to version 22.4.0 to get the control I need for my job.

Please bring 0-100 JPG quality control feature back. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I upgraded to an M1 mac and just now realizing the legacy option is not available… please bring back this functionality, the current option is not acceptable for professional users—MAJOR workflow disruption

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 23, 2022 Apr 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh man. Adobe. What are you doing?

No more save as a JPG? And now you must Export as? And then you max quality out at 7? Who does this help? Who is making these decisions? Fire them!!!!!!!!! Please.

Make Photoshop great again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Preferences > File Handling, check the box Enable legacy "Save As". Thank you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm hoping the 1-7 quality slider in the jpeg export dialog is merely a short-term stop-gap measure until the percentage slider is brought back. (?)
Clearly, the 1-7 slider is just a cosmetic change to the 7 levels of the "Poor - Great" scale.
Sure, the 1-7 scale addresses the ridiculous matter of "Great" being used for a higher quality than "Excellent."  But Adobe has to realize that linguistic foolishness was never the real PROBLEM with those settings.  Everybody could figure out which of those settings was supposed to be better, by the order they were listed in. The PROBLEM was - and continues to be - the limited number of options, and the 1-7 slider doesn't address that at all.

I gotta say: at least the old 1-12 slider gave me an excuse to play a video clip in class for my students, of the iconic Spinal Tap scene, "These go to eleven."  I told them Adobe chose the 1-12 quality scale as a nod to the Spinal Tap amps, since there was no other reasonable explanation for that scale either.

(Didn't matter if this was in fact how the 1-12 scale came about. It helped my students remember what the available jpeg export quality setting options were.  I would love to find out someday if that story was in fact true, though.)

Spinal_Tap_-_Up_to_Eleven.jpg

M1 MacBook Pro Max, Monterey 12.3.1

Photoshop 23.3.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES!!!! Time and resource wasting “export”… breaks work flow and is a pain in the ass to wait for the extra process to finish and get your production backup… don’t you “test” these “great idea upgrades” with actual production professionals working in “the real world”?????

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I absolutely need to dial in percentages of jpeg export in percentages in order to meet web ad banner size requirements when exporting. I've started using the 'File > Generate > Image Assets' to export images from photoshop since I have more control over the exports, and it's less buggy than 'Export As'.  With Generate, I can specify a 1-100% percentage, and a particular size. Still, Generate is terribly buggy and I have to work around issues with that. 

Another show-stopper with 'Export As' is that images with strokes do not get smaller -- so if I export at 50% the stroke on a path remains the same size, looking twice as large. That doesn't happen with Generate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm happy for the performance improvements that latest export as gives, and the numbered slider is better than the poorly named options menu that first launched (so I'm happy that consideration is still being given to this matter). But giving professionals 7 steps is just not enough. We need more control, so please Adobe bring back the full range of 0-100% like we previously had. Thanks in advance.

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 05, 2022 Jul 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes and "1" is only approx. 70%. If "1" may be old 100 it would be better as now, but bringing back 1-100 is the better choice for a professional Tool!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WOW this is a huge downgrade. It also defaults to choosing quality option "6" every time instead of "7" the highest quality. It was way better when we could drag the quality slider or enter a value and it always defaulted to 100%.

Please add it back!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is realy amazing:

For Fast Export

- Using legacy Export as: Quality 1 = 7%, 7 = 70%, "Export to folder o actual Element" works as expected

- Don´t use legacy Export: Quality 1 = 95%, 7 = 30%, "Export to folder o actual Element" didn´t work. Folder is everytime the last used. Please repair quickly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo ich habe Photoshop auf einm neuen System instelliert und kann nun das Alte Exportiren als nicht mehr einestellen. Es ist für mich sehr wichtig jpg kb Größen genau zu exportirene und habe nur noch einen Regler mit niedrig und hoch s. screenshot.

Ich brauche dringen diese alte Funktion wieder !

Mac OS Monterey 12.5 (21G72)

Vielen Dank 

MR

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just upgraded to an M1...I really need that percentage adjustment for 'Export As'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 27, 2023 Jun 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to all for the votes and requests -- this was released in 23.2! 

PeteGreen_0-1687906480372.png

Status Released

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, but for a Pro app that gave us 100 values of control before, don't expect us to celebrate us getting only 7 values now. It's better than the menu was, but please give us more values back. I miss the fine tune control over quality and file size. This isn't Photoshop Elements, it's a pro app for pros. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hahaha that ain't it my guy. This is what we're looking for:Screenshot 2023-06-27 at 5.17.17 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't be serious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 28, 2023 Jun 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

why not 1-100, like before?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 16, 2023 Aug 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey dude, I'm just going to reply here and say that you should think about reopening this "idea" since the implemented solution is merely a cosmetic redo of your original sin. You're not fooling anyone. Your team took a slider of 100 and reduced it to 7 arbitrarily named quality selections that ranged from "Very Poor" to "Great". All you did with this update was to rename them to "1" to "7". For god's sake at the very LEAST make it 1 to 10 so we have more control over the specific file size outcome of the product. It's insulting that you could seriously expect this to resolve the initial concern that the community raised here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2023 Aug 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree!!!

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate