• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Enhance guides to allow angled/perspective guides

LEGEND ,
Mar 31, 2011 Mar 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why just horizontal or vertical guide lines? why don't you introduce angular guides or perhaps a function like the one in illustratore "make guide" ?

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Thanks for the suggestions. Be sure to hit the UpVote button at the top of the page if you'd like to see tools for perspective guides/grids and drawing.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 104 Replies 104
104 Comments
Enthusiast ,
Apr 06, 2019 Apr 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

im using 20.0.2 release

the article is from march 2018

i created an empty layer as asked, the vanishing point filter is greyed out and not accessible.  im not sure why,  i tried an empty layer, then a layer with something in it, and then a smart object.  greyed out for all of them

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Image > Mode.

Is your image RGB color and 8bits/channel?

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it was 32 bits,   i changed it to 16 bit and now the vanishing point filter works, thanks

im a little confused as to how i can create something like a one or 2 point perspective grid with this, much less get my lines to snap to it when i go back to drawing.  it looks like a quite a heavy job laying out the grid, something you would do once and then save as a PNG file for futher use.  is that right?

some other art software has a system where you can create a vanishing point and the lines you draw will snap to it as long as your perspective ruler tool is active, the grid itself does not have to have many visible lines in it.  very easy to work with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 07, 2019 Apr 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

The method so showed produces a visual guide only. Nothing will snap to it.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

djmattyz  wrote

some other art software has a system where you can create a vanishing point and the lines you draw will snap to it as long as your perspective ruler tool is active,

Hi

Do you have Adobe Illustrator? It has a perspective grid with a vanishing point and your shapes will snap to it as you draw and resize them.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have illustrator (actually i have the whole creative cloud package)

but i have always found illustrator very disorienting to use coming from photoshop, because it looks similar but functions totally differently

i will need to do some research to see how seamlessly this would fit into the workflow.

it needs to be very quick and intuitive to jump back and forth between the two in order to be useful for this application.

for example,  you need to be able to do a roughdrawing, then make some grids based on it, do your linework snapped to the grids and then back to drawing freehand.  later maybe do it again.

not sure if this is feasable using the two programs like that

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

djmattyz  wrote

i have illustrator (actually i have the whole creative cloud package)

i will need to do some research to see how seamlessly this would fit into the workflow.

Hi,

I do one of two things. In both cases I make the image the same size in both AI and PS and use pixels and the same color mode (for me, RGB).

• I place an image into Illustrator as a linked object and draw on top of it. Updating in PS updates the linked image in AI.

• If I know it’s going back to PS, I place the image into Illustrator and embed it. Then I draw in Illustrator. Next I open the image in PS and place the Illustrator file as a SO, then open the SO and hide the image layer from the Illustrator SO.

I have no idea what would happen if I had an image placed as a link in Illustrator followed by including that linked image back into PS, but don’t trust double links. I include the image because without it, the Illustrator part does not keep its positioning when it goes into PS, and hiding that layer in the SO works for positioning.

Yet another option is that you can copy and paste paths between AI and PS. So you could draw in Illustrator using the Perspective Grid, then Release the paths from the grid and copy & paste to PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 11, 2019 Aug 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop doesn't have any instruments/tools to construct proper perspective grid "from the box". Why artist need to use "kludges" to make good-enough perspective grid in 2019? Our kludges: Perspective tools V2(extension), Custom path, 1 PP brushes, Images and files with established perspective grids (curvilinear perspective, isometric grids, carapace grids) and so on.. What is the problem to add normal tool for big part of your audience? Situation with the color wheel was the same (release in cc 2019).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a user Forum, so you are not really addressing Adobe here, even though some Adobe employees thankfully have been dropping by.

Serious Feature Requests should be posted over on

Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you considered Filter > Vanishing Point

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Particularly this option in the Vanishing Point menu:

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for correction. I found interesting request from one user (date 17 may 2013 ) Should adobe make another photoshop like program for painters/concept artist? | Photoshop Family Cus...  It took 6 years for Adobe to add some features from this list ... Maybe we see perspective tools in 2022-2025.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. This method is worse than using path tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried the low cost plug-in LNP the a free trial I believe

lazy nezumi pro perspective - YouTube

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

People do not draw in Illustrator. They draw in Photoshop. So perspective grids should be in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 12, 2020 Apr 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a feature request, if such a thing doesn't already exist.  But I've used photoshop for a long time, and I don't remember ever seeing any tool like this in the Photoshop tool sets.  At least, not one that is easily accessible and easy to use.  Is there a 'perspective grid' tool?  Illustrator has the ability to create and lay out perspective grids as guides, to allow for artists to more easily create artwork with accurate perspective.  It can be set up for one, two, and three point perspective.

Why doesn't Photoshop seem to have that?  They have that weird 'vanishing point' tool, but it's not very intuitive or user-friendly, and doesn't stay on all the time as a reliable guide.  I've seen several tutorials that show how to use the star creation tool to make your own perspective guides.  But I'd rather see an in-program perspective guide tool in Photoshop.   Something easier and more user-friendly.

Is there such a thing?  And if not, WHY not?  Adobe, can you add this for future updates?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Not guides but you can use the Vanishing point grids.

Add a new layer then go to Filter > Vanishing Point. Add your grids then use Render Grids to Photoshop. You now have a layer with the grids.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Why doesn't Photoshop seem to have that? They have that weird 'vanishing point' tool, but it's not very intuitive or user-friendly, and doesn't stay on all the time as a reliable guide."

Hi,

The Vanishing Point tool does not work very much at all like the Perspective Grid in Illustrator. I am guessing that the "why" is that PS at it's core is an image editor, whereas Illustrator is a vector drawing application.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/vanishing-point.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/perspective-drawing.html

You can put in a feature request to the product engineers here:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

If you have to use Photoshop. though, use the method Dave gave you.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 13, 2020 May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone, 

I just downloaded the new version of photoshop 2020. I have one issue with the tool perspective wrap. The grid is smaller, and the little square makes the use very complicated. Does everyone know how to make the grid bigger? 

Thanks guys !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 13, 2020 May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show a screen shot of what you mean by the "little square"

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 10, 2020 Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would be very helpful in many instances. A needed tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Oct 25, 2020 Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the pixel option from the line tool has vanished in PS 2021 (which provided a fast and easy way to create custom/arbitrary "guides") this feature as more needed than ever before ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES! Or allow snapping to other than guides, like to lines. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES! Please!

Or allow snapping to shapes or paths, that would actually be even better. This would be easier for a company that has expertise in vector graphics.

Oh wait...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know if and when Photoshop plans to add a perspective tool similar to the feature that corel Painter has? I find it to be incredibly helpful in cases where I'm drawing a scene in 2 or 3 point perspective.

Votes

Translate

Translate