• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Enhance guides to allow angled/perspective guides

LEGEND ,
Mar 31, 2011 Mar 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why just horizontal or vertical guide lines? why don't you introduce angular guides or perhaps a function like the one in illustratore "make guide" ?

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Thanks for the suggestions. Be sure to hit the UpVote button at the top of the page if you'd like to see tools for perspective guides/grids and drawing.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 104 Replies 104
104 Comments
Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a user forum. If anyone knew, they would be under NDA and couldn't say. There is a perspective warp, perspective crop, and a vanishing point filter. I have no idea if these are similar to Corel Painter, though.

You can add a feature request to the product developers here:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/

Be sure to describe how the feature works in Painter.

Illustrator has a perspective grid that can be set to 1-, 2-, or 3-point perspective, and artwork is drawn in perspective.

EDIT: The Feedback forum was combined with the user forum in August 2021. There are now three sections: bugs, ideas, and discussions.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Vanishing Point filter, which jane-e mentioned allows you to render perspective grids to layers.

Frequent contributer here Trevor.Dennis is a big fan of Lazy Nezumi which has a very deep prespective tool as well as a lot of other cool features. US$30 (Windows only).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 20, 2021 Jun 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, why has this not been a feature yet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Sep 16, 2021 Sep 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would be amazing to have ability to draw in perspective. This has become a common stable of drawing programs for the last 10 years but Photoshop doesnt include it. I see adobe Fresco includes this feature but not the main Photoshop program. Would it be possible to just Bring Fresco to desktop computers since Im sure photoshop wont be adding this feature anytime soon if it hasnt by now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Nov 21, 2021 Nov 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello I work in film, and tv industry. Games aswell. I have to design alot of backgrounds so one of the things I wanted for so long is the ability for photoshop to do Assited Drawing in Perspective. This is a feature thats been around for about 10 years, and is common now for most drawing apps. It's also included in Adobe Fresco for the ipad (image below). Im really deeply asking adobe to please bring this feature to mainline photoshop as it would make my life, and many others designers/artist in the entertainment industry or just in general, super happy.

dims.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should have a lok at Lazy Numi Pro, particularly https://lazynezumi.com/perspective 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestions. Be sure to hit the UpVote button at the top of the page if you'd like to see tools for perspective guides/grids and drawing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jan 01, 2022 Jan 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello I would love it if it Photoshop would add a Perspective Grid feature for drawing/designing directly in photoshop. Years ago photoshop added symmertry drawing but stopped right there for some reason, was hoping they would add perspective, and ruler tools next. Perspective grid snapping and drawing is a common feature most art programs have and has been around for over a decade in other programs. Adobe Fresno has it, but for serious desktop work, photoshop really needs this feature as well. Anyone who designs alot of enviornments/draw in general for film/tv/games/hobby this is a must have feature in today's modern art software. Please add it.

PerspectiveF.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jan 01, 2022 Jan 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also I just want to note that there are plugins 3rd party plguins you can buy that allow you to do this like lazy nazumi ( good attempt but it feels way too complicated to make your grid and to use constantly on a daily basis at the moment, and its not native to photoshop), and perspetive grid v2.0 plugin by sergio (Great plugin for making a grid but we need snapping feature like Fresno has). A perspective grid is something that should be baked directly into photoshop. It could utilize vector lines but just give the ability to SNAP to them atleast. But a proper 1,2, and 3 point perspective drawing tool from adobe directly included in photoshop is much needed .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Mar 26, 2022 Mar 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would love for adobe to impliment a draft set of tools like Rulers, and Perspective Grid. I've probably been requesting this for 10 years now, its pretty common in most apps but photoshop still wont add this in favor of filters/ways to select things for 10 years now. Adobe Fresco has this already but fresco is pretty bad for desktop/serious use in its current state. Please add this to photoshop. It would be such a useful tool for so many people. I work in film, and this would be a huge help for me as well  so many others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean? There are Rulers in PS for ages & the perspective grid as well: Filter - Vanishing point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 23, 2022 Apr 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'd like to request a feature to be added to Photoshop. In Illustrator you can rotate guides and create new guides from shapes but you can't do this in Photoshop for some reason. Can this feature be added to Photoshop as well please?

Thank you,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 23, 2022 Apr 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi yes, you can vote for this feature...reagrds

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Olá, gostaria de saber se existe alguma forma de trabalhar com guias além do do eixo horizontal e vertical.
Gostaria de poder posicionar linhas guias em outros angulos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to Rotate the Guides. I need it in AE now, but let it be in PS as well 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop is first & foremost a pixel-based image editor. Angled guides will not help you with pixel-based images. 

Illustrator and After Effects support math-based vector graphics.  Different tools for different file types.

image.png

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ivan Zajats 

"I'd like to Rotate the Guides."

Me too! It would be helpful when drawing in perspective to have guides (instead of lines) going off to the vanishing point. I've clicked the Upvote button at the top.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Angled guides will not help you with pixel-based images."

Sorry, but I totally disagree on that statement. Angled guides can be extremely useful when digital painting in Photoshop. At present you can work around it with a separate layer and transformed vector lines, but the real answer is to be able to use angled guides.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to jump in on this one. Photoshop and Fater Effect both have shape layers and type tools that are not raster based. Photoshop also uses smart objects which can be linked to illustrator so why limit Photoshop? If you can make any shape that isn't just horizontal or vertical you'd benefit from angular and even circular guides in Photoshop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said, Photoshop is a raster editor;  not a vector graphics app.  You can't change a zebra's stripes.  Yes, it can make shapes.  And to a limited extent it can edit video, too.  But it's not my go-to app for vectors or video. 

When you want all the bells & whistles available to vector graphics apps, it's best to use the right tool for the job -- Illustrator, After Effects, Animate, etc...  You'll get much better results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to put us back on track here and close this point out. This is a thread about users requesting Adobe to expand on Photoshop's guide system. We were not really discussing what each App was initially designed for. Much has changed since the inception of these apps and I believe that's the goal here, to expand on them with user feedback. It would benefit many users to include those features and enhancements to Photoshop to minimize the need to switch apps if you're already in Photoshop designing. In my case the streamlined process of having fundamental design tools inside each app would be great. I don't see people using the guides to line up a photo but to line up text definitely. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't wish to cause controversy but I think Photoshop suffers from trying to be too many things it's not and not enough on what it needs to be.  Customers want flawless, stable software they can count on to edit raster images.  Despite its power & greatness, Photoshop has too many flaws.  And the more baggage it has to carry the more it resembles a 10,000 pound camel.

Angled guides have been an Illustrator feature since 2011.  But Illustrator is a vector graphics app and thus well-suited to this.  If you wish to use Photoshop for a quick vector to save time, have at it. But I don't think anyone should expect PS to behave exactly like AI.  They are totally different apps.

End of rant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again you seem to think that angled guides are not required with raster images. They are. I use both Illustrator and Photoshop. For many styles of digital painting Photoshop is the right application. It is also the right application for compositing e.g. compositing the rasterised outputs from 3D rendering applications. In both of those cases angled guides would be useful.

This is not about Illustrator vs Photoshop, or vector vs raster, but about making Photoshop's existing guides more flexible and useful.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what do you think?

Votes

Translate

Translate