• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: HEIC Support

LEGEND ,
Aug 15, 2017 Aug 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop does not support HEIC images that are created using the new iOS?? I'm sure Apple didn't keep it a secret. Sounds like another pissing match between Adobe and Apple. Grow up and act like adults and support HEIC. 

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Photoshop added HEIC support on Windows this morning (version 22.1), relying on the operating system's codecs for this format:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/file-formats.html#HEIFHEIC

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/ps-heic-codec.html

"View and work with HEIF/.heic files in Photoshop on Windows by downloading and installing HEIF and HEVC codecs from the Microsoft Store."

There is one account for all things Microsoft. So your Windows 10 login works in the Microsoft Stor

Votes

Translate

Translate
77 Comments
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still no proper HEIC photo support in the windows version of photoshop 21.2.

Why not?

Even photoshop elements 2020 has support for opening native HEIC files on a windows 10 machine, although it to has a flaw since it doesn't import a Depth Map channel if one is in the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, no real support as yet. I have to add another step to drag into a converter.. pffft

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is still not available on PC! This was 3 years ago.  Very stupid. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe that two years after your comment it is still not available on PC. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 01, 2020 Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe could care less....they bought Cool Edit years ago (AKA Adobe Audition), quadrupled the price, have not offered any new features except visual and basic patch work, and they still charge a high premium that is 100% profit as I do not think they have any R&D to grow and innovate. Sad monopoly that should be broken up. we pay for C-suite and expect innovation...all we get if a basic refresh with no real R&D or innovation to stay cutting egde. They just laugh all the way to the bank at us!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the latest version of photoshop cc and it does not support HEIC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't believe we still need this, but thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Importing HEIF files in Photoshop is not the problem anymore - at least for me. That seems to work on my iMac. I want to export in HEIF . Please make that possible - ASAP. What is the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

why do you need to export as .heif?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think HEIF is going to replace JPEG on the long term because it is a better compression algorithm with more options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, but that doesn't explain why you need to export as .heif ASAP...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Sep 08, 2020 Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

heic is not supported.
at least not in the latest CC 2020 windows version i use.... that ́s the problem.

reading HEIF but not writing HEIF is also not something i would call a "supported fileformat".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is there any chance that heic suppot will come in CC 2021?
would be nice when someone from adobe actually adresses this.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

because some people want to export heif from photoshop... that ́s why.
i don ́t know why you would need and explanation for that.

some people want to be able to export PNG and TIF, some JPG and some HEIF.

i would like to have some of my images in a smaller format than TIFF but with better quality than JPG.

i don ́t want my smartphone images to lose data when stored as JPG.
HEIF files can store depth data. camera to subject distance and camera to background distance.
i don ́t like to convert images to an inferior format when i don ́t have to.

HEIF is a way more flexible format.
it can be used as container for multiple images (gif replacement).
HEIF also supports transparency, and image color up to 16 bits, versus JPEG’s measly 8-bit color.

instead of asking questions why people want something (there are always a lot of anwers to that)... take a look at what HEIF offers over JPG and it might become clear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it puzzles me that so called "professionals" don ́t get this....

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 20, 2020 Sep 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Coming late to the party I guess, instead of making a photo shoot with my DSLR, I tried the Apple Iphone for a change.

Well, you can imagine how disappointed I was that:

A. Windows 10 didn't recognise the HEIC files on PC1. It did on PC2.

B. On PC2, I have my Photoshop installation. However, it still (!) fails to read HEIC files.

And that after three years.

So Adobe, you are telling me basically to convert them to JPG before I can edit them.

Thinking of cancelling my subscription, since mobile phones are now getting to the point that you can actually make decent pictures from them. I have no faith that you, dear Adobe, can actually incorporate this codec.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Sep 20, 2020 Sep 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the funny thing is GIMP, free software, is supporting heic for at least 2 years.

thought the support initially was a bit buggy.

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/1491

Votes

Translate

Translate

Sep 24, 2020 Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still no proper HEIC photo support in the windows version of photoshop 21.2.

Why not?

Even photoshop elements 2020 has support for opening native HEIC files on a windows 10 machine, although it to has a flaw since it doesn't import a Depth Map channel if one is in the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Sep 25, 2020 Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably more components and functions need to be updated which makes the implementation far more complicated. After all PS Elements is a simpler version of PS. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I complained about lack of native support for HEIC and Adobe Care directed me to "vote" here. We are at a point in hardware development where it's cheaper to have a top notch Windows machine than an equivalent Macbook but iPhone and iPad are still great options for sourcing photos.

EVERY time a client sends me photos from their iPhone I lose precious time converting them externally before processing in Photoshop. 

How can Adobe shill the hell out of Apple products on MAX 2020 and still keep lagging behind on cross-supporting their formats (facepalm)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a guy write an 'Automation ' in Mac and the image is just a right click and away I go. On PC I have places a 'Drag and drop' I con on the desktop and I loose virtually no time at all. I will say, I own both PC and MAC. My PC I have them bombed to the eyeballs YET my MAC has no issues with big big files even over 1 gig yet all three PC's start to slow, get jerky and at time just crash. Even my old MAc Book pro thats 9 years old can handle it.. not sure why but I will spend the extra not to have the issues I have had.. but across the board, both the MAC and PC deliver my work and keep me going and I am happy with both

Back the our issue.. Get a guy to do a 'Drag drop' on the desktop.. I can't I am not that clever

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Get a guy to write a script for you" is still a workaround.
Of course I use a third-party batch converter, that's not the point. 

The point is Adobe hasn't solved this issue in three years after many iterations of Photoshop CC and it's annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh it is more than apparently clear Adobe have not picked up this ball yet. I just found the easiest way were all I do is drap, drop, open photohshop (or Bridge) and they are sitting waiting for use. Lightroom is more my thing as I do take way too many images for work to be going in one by one but on the phone.. different story. I use it just for hobby running around stuff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HEIF/HEIC

Modern camera devices provide the capability to capture HEIF/.heic photos.

macOS - Photoshop supports HEIF/.heic files running on macOS High Sierra v10.13 or later.
    Windows - To successfully view and edit HEIF/.heic files into Photoshop, download and install both of the HEIF and HEVC CODECs directly from Microsoft.

that´s from the info to the PS 22.1 update.

the HEVC codec on the microsoft store is 99 cent.

that´s the one windows user need to install?

adobe was not able to provide proper HEVC/HEIC support on its own?

you do know that many people don´t have and want a MS store account?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop added HEIC support on Windows this morning (version 22.1), relying on the operating system's codecs for this format:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/file-formats.html#HEIFHEIC

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/ps-heic-codec.html

"View and work with HEIF/.heic files in Photoshop on Windows by downloading and installing HEIF and HEVC codecs from the Microsoft Store."

There is one account for all things Microsoft. So your Windows 10 login works in the Microsoft Store as well.

The first codec is free and the second costs 99¢.

Votes

Translate

Translate