• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Please can you allow FULLY customizable keyboard shortcuts?

Engaged ,
Apr 16, 2018 Apr 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure I can't be the first person to point out that one area in which Photoshop is seriously lacking is keyboard shortcuts.

Currently, there are many severe limitations to how you can customize shortcuts, such as:

• Tools can only be single keys
• Other shortcuts cannot be single keys
• All shortcuts must include Shift
• Actions can only be F keys
• Useful keys like Tilde and Backslash cannot be used

You might say: "Why does it matter?" But this kind of customizability is essential for cramming all the controls we use the most into those 12 keys under the left hand, so you don't have to keep moving your hands around constantly. The more shortcuts you can assign to a single key, the more power you have at your fingertips.

You might say: "Tools are special - they need to be a single key". But not everyone uses tools the same, or has the same definition of a tool. For example, some might say that showing/hiding extras was important enough to warrant a single-key command. (Adobe InDesign lets you do this by hitting "W".) You might also say that "Switch foreground/background colors" isn't exactly a "tool" and its control could take a backseat to more important tools.

As well as not being able to full customize controls, even more frustrating is that some of the most essential commands cannot be remapped AT ALL! Commands such as move up/down a layer, or fill layer with foreground/background color. My only option was to remap these to my mouse, using Logitech software, but Photoshop should let you assign them as keyboard shortcuts.

Photoshop has added so many features over the years which, to me, does not seem particularly essential. But what could be more essential than the actual CONTROLS we use to control it?

Please could Photoshop allow full control of the remapping of keyboard shortcuts (ideally also allowing the scroll wheel to move up/down through layers).

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
18 Comments
LEGEND ,
Apr 23, 2012 Apr 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would the PS Team consider giving users more options in assigning Keyboard Shortcuts to Tools? All we can use right now are the letters of the alphabet. It would be most helpful if we could assign F-Keys to Tools.

*Note that InDesign has the ability to remap any combination. :)

Thank you!
Linda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jan 10, 2013 Jan 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please allow us to add/edit keyboard shortcuts in Bridge. There are some PS related ones in the Tools menu (including the add-on Dr Brown's Services) that I'd like to hot key.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 09, 2016 Jun 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure why this has never been added to Bridge like many of the other Adobe apps (e.g. Photoshop) but I'd like to request that users be able to create / add custom keyboard shortcuts in Bridge.

A bit of research online shows an OS workaround for those on Macs however for those using Window's there doesn't seem to be an option.  Besides, it's better to have this as a native feature and have it match up with the workflow in other Adobe apps.

I've been working on a compositing project where I've got over 100 final shots and I've had to individually 'load the files into Photoshop layers' one by one via the Bridge menu.  This has been very tedious to say the least.  Having a keyboard shortcut for this would have been really nice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jun 11, 2016 Jun 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wish you guys (Adobe, obviously) would at least add a shortcut for "Purge Cache for Folder". Just that one command would add so many years back to my life.

That would be so good for the planet and you'd have so much fun implementing it! May even help combat famine, disease, and Global Warming. So you have my permission to go ahead and get that sorted for the next update release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Apr 16, 2018 Apr 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim, I snooped around a bit, and this page might be a good place to start.

http://xahlee.info/kbd/programable_keypads.html

Hope this helps.

Phil Pool

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Apr 18, 2018 Apr 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the suggestion, though it's not for me.

I do like the idea of having more keys, but I still need access to all the normal keys, and the ability to quickly start typing, so moving my left hand over to some other device would defeat the object.

Basically I like my keyboard, and it works great for all other applications. But Photoshop is needlessly oppressive when it comes to allowing shortcuts.

I've also just realized that there is no way to use keys to move up and down through layers. You can move between visible layers, but if you want to show a hidden layer, you need to use the mouse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Bridge more and more as a way to target a subset of open images for batched actions. I'm growing weary of having to navigate through the drop-down menus. I think this would be a great idea!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I run Batch, Image Processor, and Load Files into Photoshop Layers almost everyday and it's ridiculous that Adobe haven't allowed for keyboard shortcuts in Bridge.  Honestly, I don't think Adobe have anyone on their Dev team that has ever worked in a production environment for any length of time.  Super frustrating to have requests like this ignored for so long.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in 2020 this feature is still being requested.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this would be very useful.

I merged the threads, and am surprised that the other votes did not add up, and do not show on the original threads.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that would be really great !

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes please, it would be fantastic to have a little more autonomy in deciding on our preferred workflow. At this point it's pretty clear that Photoshop usage spans a wide variety of disciplines and use cases and Adobe can't cater to everyone, so it would be preferable to let users customize it themselves. Many PS users use it professionally and are power users, so small inconveniences add up to a loss of productivity if they impact something you have to do every day.

As a digital painter for example, I like to be able to adjust my brush blend modes on the fly but the key combination is not usable with one hand, I'd like to use the number keys for something other than opacity (I have pen pressure for this), and the brand new new ~ toggle to switch the brush to 'clear' is not supported for my keyboard locale. These are just a few of the many examples I could offer (why can't we hotkey specific brushes or brush folders, why can't I toggle the color picking target with a hotkey, why can't I flip my brush with one, why can't I enable or disable color jitter, and so on)

These seemingly arbitrary restrictions cause me to have to resort to purchasing extensions just to use features that are already in Photoshop but too inaccessible to be practical.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shoot, looks like I merged the wrong thread, will check if there is a way to undo this...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 27, 2021 Mar 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also feel that not giving users full shortcut control, either restricts their speed or forces them to go in roundabout  ways to get control. Even if it's considered unfriendly for new users, there should be an option in preferences to unlock a fluid keymap for advanced users that value small keyboard distance from their left hand resting position. These things really add up and it's strange that full keymap control is not supported until now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For myself, I solved this problem using AutoHotkey scripts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This would be one of the most critical improvements for professional PS users. Please make it happen!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 09, 2022 Jan 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make the keys such as "0-9" and "a - z" possible to be shortcut to EVERYTHING, even to the menu,

How is this feature not avalible yet? In the clip studio, I use "a" and "s" to zoom in and out, "q" for brush, "w" for rubber, "1" and "2" to adust brush size, "5" to flip horizontally.  While my thumb can be use to press "x" and "space".  Since I do paint alot, by using this layout, my left hand wont need to move left or right on the keyboard as often as in the potoshop (or press alot ctrl or shift, since it rly hurts little finger alot, if u press them often ). Plus I do play alot league of leagend, csgo and tf2 so I am so used to this kind of keybind. So please implement this feature to the photoshop, beacause this is realy useful and helpful to the people similar to me, as a gamer + painter. btw im not professional in either two of them. 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm a bit shocked that this doesn't have more votes. These limitations are so arbitrary. I'm unsure why PS, ID, & AI don't all just have the after effects mapping system. It's a graphic of a keyboard and you map commands to each key. Just that allowed any command be mappable to any key/key combination. It's super intuitive and super customizable. No brainer.

Votes

Translate

Translate