Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

P: Please Provide Support for the WebP Image format

102 Votes
LEGEND ,
Jul 04, 2013 Jul 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Photoshop Team (as well as the Illustrator and Edge Tools Team):

The format improves upon .jpeg and .png use cases today while at the same time providing 2x-3x smaller file sizes at the same, comparable quality settings.

According to the image specificaitons, "WebP supports lossless transparency (also known as alpha channel) with just 22% additional bytes. Transparency is also supported with lossy compression and typically provides 3x smaller file sizes compared to PNG when lossy compression is acceptable for the red/green/blue color channels" (https://developers.google.com/speed/w...).

Being able to used on the latest Android devices an the latest versions of Chrome and Opera (I know they both use Blink, and thus it isn't a surprise that both support it already), according to caniuse.com, it is sort of reasonable to consider I think.

Idea Planned
TOPICS
macOS, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021
We are investigating adding WebP support to Photoshop.
Status Planned

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , May 13, 2017 May 13, 2017
Updated 07/14/2021:  As noted by Johannes there is a really nice file format plug-in that opens and saves webp files from Photoshop. You can download the Webp plugin and check the installation instructions here (with universal/ARM support): https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/support-webp-image-format.html According to Google's webP support page, you can download a free plug-in for webP support here: http://telegraphics.com.au/sw/product/WebPFormat#webpformat

Votes

Translate

Translate
81 Comments
LEGEND ,
Oct 11, 2013 Oct 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

more and more im forced to work with WebP files - but I cant open them in photoshop without installing a 3rd party plugin. ( yuck )

is there any hope for support for this file extension that has been out since 2010

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 25, 2015 Feb 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, PLEASE support the WEBP format. The sooner Adobe supports this format, the sooner it can propagate out into the web, and the sooner we can get back all that wasted bandwidth.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE include WEBP support!

Look: Adobe's lack of support is contributing to the problem:
http://www.cnet.com/news/facebook-tri...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 20, 2015 Aug 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop is always a bit slow with file format support. Not sure why?

Webp would be very welcome. At least basic save/open functionality, but would be nice if it was supported by Save-for-web/Export as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2017 May 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to open a WEBP file in Photoshop. Seems weird that even several years after this format was released, there is no Photoshop support for this format. What's going on? Is there some reason Adobe doesn't want to do this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 13, 2017 May 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated 07/14/2021: 

As noted by Johannes there is a really nice file format plug-in that opens and saves webp files from Photoshop. You can download the Webp plugin and check the installation instructions here (with universal/ARM support): https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/support-webp-image-format.html

According to Google's webP support page, you can download a free plug-in for webP support here: http://telegraphics.com.au/sw/product/WebPFormat#webpformat

Senior Product Manager - Customer Advocacy - Digital Imaging

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 14, 2017 May 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup. That is not the same as Photoshop natively supporting such image formats though. 

Photoshop natively supporting such things would be more user-friendly for the end user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2017 May 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that native support would be preferable rather than downloading a plugin from some company I have never heard of.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Photoshop CC on OSX this beta WebP plug-in may work:
https://github.com/fnordware/AdobeWebM

Please regard best practice for websites:
https://developers.google.com/web/tools/lighthouse/audits/webp

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't regard serving WebP as best practice. Its not really supported outside of Google products.

https://developers.google.com/speed/webp/faq

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 05, 2018 Apr 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This needs to be revived. it's rediculous we can't open, edit, or save webP images in 2018. I get years ago but today it's rediculous. Many of us front end developers have been using webP for years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2018 Apr 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. I simply don't get why this isn't part of Photoshop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2018 Apr 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Um, because they really don't give a crap?

Yes, sour grapes. I've watched bug reports like this get glossed over for years, only to have Adobe reps (repeatedly) say in forums like this that we users are too dumb to understand the complexities of programming etc etc. and how hard it is boo hoo. OK, fine. 

But hey, let's look on the bright side: Adobe is making record profits ($5.85 billion in 2016), so who cares if the program does what the users need, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2018 Aug 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The current WebP plugin does not support transparency. We need a full-featured export feature built into Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 14, 2018 Nov 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So Google have just updated their pagespeed insights tool and next gen images are a big part of it.
Is Adobe going to get on-board?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2018 Dec 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This format is essential in today's web-focused world. Not having it laughable. The sad part of it is that I had to use a competitor's product to do the conversion so I could use the image in After Effects that also doesn't support the format!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2019 Jan 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It certainly is time to include WebP formatting options in Adobe products.  This has my vote!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think there should be enough evidence by now to support the inclusion of support in Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator for the WebP image format.  While it may not be fully adopted across all browsers, I believe it is just a matter of time.  And regardless, us developers are able to display the WebP format based on the browser being used per session.

Google is clearly pushing for use of WebP format and we all know how important it is to please Google for SEO purposes.

https://developers.google.com/speed/webp/docs/using

Have a look at one of the biggest website builders in the industry, Wix.  Although I do not personally like website builders like that (being a web designer myself), it still says a lot that they are using WebP format for all of their client's websites.

I love Adobe products for the fact that they simplify projects by providing everything I need in a set of related programs.  I would prefer to not have to bloat my Photoshop program by adding an unknown plugin to implement WebP formatting.  I also do not like the idea of having to use a third party conversion website and uploading my imagery to their server.  I also do not know command prompt well and am not interested in learning to use the encoder program listed by Google.  Let's make this easy for everyone and give newby designers another reason to buy your products.

Let's also not overlook the growing number of Adobe customers asking for this feature.  It appears that they have been asking for it for years now.  So here is my two cents...  I would really appreciate and utilize the added functionality to manage WebP format.  I would like to be ahead of the game when this expands to most other platforms.

Other than that, I love Adobe products and have been using them since before they were ever Adobe products.  Thanks for all that you do!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They can't fool a software engineer like I am. Sure, it takes some effort, but hey, with the amount of money they make, that is negligible. But yeah, why should they care, they keep making lots of money nevertheless, so why bother.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@David Converse. Best practice? A graphics format isn't always our choice, customers will give us whatever the give us and we as professionals have to deal with it. Best practices don't come into the equation. Flexibility does. Also, at the end of the day, Adobe should not be forcing their "best practices" on us to restrict and limit the tools. No, tools should be all-encompassing so that we as users can express ourselves and use them uninhibitedly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 15, 2019 Feb 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are we asleep? Dreaming that we're "way out ahead?"

As a long-time user of the world's "premier" image app (Photoshop) and a long-time Creative Cloud subscriber, I should NOT need to use GIMP to open and covert WEBP images!  Get with it PLEASE!!

Thank you so much. (It's 2019 already.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 01, 2019 Mar 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please support WebP, it's too important to leave to an optional plug-in. Adobe should be on the leading edge of image support, not trailing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 19, 2019 Apr 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am truly amazed that Adobe continues to upgrade the CC lineup and fails to implement a simple filter for opening webP formats. Adding my voice to the crowd of "please add support for webP"   thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 23, 2019 Apr 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm adding mine as well.  I came to Adobe hoping for some means of opening webp files in Photoshop. I can't believe they've overlooked this for so long.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 22, 2019 May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simple. Add support for opening and exporting WebP images in photoshop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 29, 2019 May 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines