• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Provide support for Linux (2011)

LEGEND ,
Apr 27, 2011 Apr 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wondering if Adobe released any Photoshop versions for Linux? Because I looked everywhere in Adobe's site but I could not find any information.

Idea Declined
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 01, 2021 Oct 01, 2021

We currently have no plans to build a version of Photoshop for Linux.

Status Declined

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 666 Replies 666
666 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2023 Mar 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can see what are they doing. My guess is that they are porting their apps to cloud, like Photoshop Express for example, running on the browser just to fit every OS avaliable who runs a browser. I doubt very much that they will do something special for linux users. Im watching this for many years and they never made a single move towords it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 10, 2023 Mar 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fifteen years ago, there were almost no mobile apps and mobile devices weren't able to run graphics software anyway. Now we have Photoshop on iPad, along with Illustrator, Procreate, etc.

The computing industry is still fairly new and there is a lot of innovation still to come.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 14, 2023 Apr 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's sad to see it is possible to run it on Linux but there's no way to use a license with it or install it using a trusted package. With all the progress made on wine, PlayOnLinux and Steam it's a shame Adobe still doesn't recognize the potential of partially supporting this market segment instead of just closing the door.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2023 Nov 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anti-Trust laws exist for this reason: to protect individuals from this kind of abuse of power. Far too many livelihoods are subject to the whims of large companies' capricious business decisions. Adobe will lose trust from this.

Altering an ecosystem to destabilize many, merely to monopolize the market, stifles diversity and competition. I'm not sure there's another legal term that accurately captures the financial devastation, but it seems like a potential breach of Antitrust regulations, accompanied by shrewd legal maneuvering. It's amusing to witness Adobe's apparent shock when the internet community reacts strongly to their actions.

I think Adobe actually CREATED competition for themeselves by eroding that trust. Armory tools wouldn't have gained as much traction and drawn some of Adobe's users, with financial backing from Unreal. When a large company supports one of your smaller competitors, perhaps it's time for Adobe to reflect on their actions.

Many don't realize the aggressive tactics Adobe employs in such situations, will ultimately harm individuals who could have significantly contributed to its growth.

These existing users havn't signed up for the subscription model for a reason and the Linux crowd are literally stuck on older versions unless they change everything to suit Adobe. Why not focus on createing a product worth upgrading to so that people can use the gain in quality to justify paying you more? Why does Adobe permit so much distraction from making the perfect prouduct?

Instead of fostering growth and trust, Adobe seemingly assimilates thriving independent companies without hesitation. Trust, as a result, has been eroded by Adobe's actions.

Adobe might not be concerned if we suffer for choosing non-Adobe products, but many won't hesitate to develop superior, free alternatives that challenge Adobe's entire business model.

I personally get better PC performance in Nabara Linux with KDE desktop than I ever did in Windows; I'm nearing the point where I won't need to pay Adobe anything.

I'm just concerned for others who think Adobe still owns them just because they are an artist. I say the money is better spent donating to Blender, Krita, ChaiNNer, FontForge, rxlaboratory tools and any number of other independant, worthy contenders.

They seem to be able to do more with less so may as well give them more.

-S

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2023 Nov 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh cool Photoshop do have the web version good move. Like not perfect/ideal but workable for most. The subscription model is unfortunatly a fact of life with big business; but at very least they have come up with something that could help. I think that'd be fine for me since I don't like Photoshop and just need to interchange properly and unconcerned if the performance isn't brilliant so long as I can keep my adobe using clients.

What I'd like to see though; options to pay by the hour. I might be in and out of it in 15 minutes; I don't want a month worth if I'm not going to touch it for the remaining 29 days. Some food for thought.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2023 Nov 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd also add that particuarly if I score a big job After effects; I currently have to duel boot for that one program.

So I'm likely to consider paying Adobe up to $3k for a perpetual license of After effects that worked on Linux. I'd pay you around 500 a year to stay on that perpetual license yearly contract. I'd even pay 1k per upgrade if I'd skipped a couple of upgrade years.

You're friendly reminder that flexibility and convenience may be the issue here.
Linux people are pragmantic; not poor, we just need Adobe to join Autodesk, Luxology and Maxon in realising the market potential.

-S

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 10, 2023 Nov 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really share your sentiment. I wish Adobe would support Ubuntu at least. Windows is starting to turn into nagware and it is making a lot of users angry, including me. I kind of need to get a new laptop but it is all Windows 11 and because of the lack of Linux support from Adobe, my best hope would be to dual boot the computer. Right now my desktop is on Windows 10 which is annoying enough, but I will never upgrade to 11. Apple is also off the tables with their computers lacking USB-A ports. Seems these days the only good solution is to buy a Windows 11 laptop, wipe it, and install Ubuntu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ilikesnowflakes wrote: Apple is also off the tables with their computers lacking USB-A ports.

The Mac Studio has two USB-A ports.

janee_0-1699617981702.png

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an M1 mini and it has USB-A as well. My 2019 (Intel) MacBook Pro at work has Thunderbolt 4 (USB-C) and I use a cheap USB-C dock that has USB-A, HDMI, card slot, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jane-e I was talking about the LAPTOPS, as I said, I already have a desktop. That particular Mac you mentioned fails to be portable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Lumigraphics I'm aware you can get USB hubs but again, that really ruins the portability. Especially when you can get a Lenovo gaming computer from Costco with 2 USB-C ports and 4 USB-A ports. Both of which are still in use. Even non gaming PCs have 2 of each generally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread has completely gone off topic. Locking for now as there is an accepted answer to the original post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 02, 2023 Dec 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that topic since the early 2020s an I know the decsion from May 2021 "never"

But windows will come a dead horse. After the support end of win10. Many user will switch to Linux. And than Adobe has the choice to support Linux or lost paying users to affinity. I'm not interested to switch my workflow to a new software suite.

So please rethink the choice for unsupporting Linux!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nov 2023

worldwide:

win market share > 69% (win 11 >18%)

linux market share <4%

https://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share/desktop/worldwide

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's like a chicken egg issue.

I only use windows at my home office system because of the creative cloud requirements.

At office I have a iMac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no matter what it is, for 2+ decades people have been extolling linux and claiming it's just a matter of time before it takes over the world (of computing systems).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 03, 2024 Jan 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm Windows user wanting to go to Linux, but I need Adobe software (like Photoshop, Illustrator, Dimension, and last Lightroom) and no dumb web app. I need that full app on Linux... Any Adobe devs tell me why there's no Adobe software on Linux. Everyone should be able to wasted money on something no matter what OS they are. No matter if Linux is like 3% of OS share market. I don't know if you guys (Adobe) have a deal with Mircosoft and Apple, but please give the poor penguin a try. People may hate on you guys because your software is not "open". There also people that don't care if there software is "open" or not. 

Adobe... Please give Linux a try. So me or other can move to Linux.

download.png

-SomeGuyInTheLaptop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 03, 2024 Jan 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are the same question again and again for years and it happens nothing.

I also think it doesn't happen in the foreseeable future.

Gelöst: Waiting for Linux native softwares [Cloud on Linux... - Adobe Community - 10943296

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 04, 2024 Jan 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As this was explained, many years ago by former Photoshop engineer Chris Cox, and re-explained at regular intervals since:

• Linux has a tiny market share to begin with
  • Linux users generally don't want to pay for software. That's why they're Linux users
  • The development and maintenance costs for Adobe are the same as for the major platforms
  • Multiple Linux distributions fragment the already tiny market into several micro-markets
  • Support for color management is severely lacking

In short, it's a dead duck. There's no way they could get a return on investment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At my last post about this it was: "I need my Adobe apps on Linux. Because I want to go to Linux. Adobe please give Linux."

The community just said it will never happened and reasons why. I forgot that Adobe is a big tech company, and they don't care about the people (maybe). Well still Adobe should give Linux a try, but it will never happened. Unless they do it.

(My last post)

I'm Windows user wanting to go to Linux, but I need Adobe software (like Photoshop, Illustrator, Dimension, and last Lightroom) and no dumb web app. I need that full app on Linux... Any Adobe devs tell me why there's no Adobe software on Linux. Everyone should be able to wasted money on something no matter what OS they are. No matter if Linux is like 3% of OS share market. I don't know if you guys (Adobe) have a deal with Mircosoft and Apple, but please give the poor penguin a try. People may hate on you guys because your software is not "open". There also people that don't care if there software is "open" or not. 

Adobe... Please give Linux a try. So me or other can move to Linux.

-SomeGuyInTheLaptop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The community just said it will never happened

By @SomeGuyInTheLaptop

The community does not know what Adobe will or will not do in the future. What we do know is the Photoshop for desktop is not available on Linux now and that Adobe has said they have no plans to develop it. System requirements here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/system-requirements.html

Photoshop for Web can be used on Linux right now with a paid subscription. Note that the web version is not full Photoshop. It is streamlined, like the iPad version and is missing many features. System requirements for PS on the Web here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/system-requirements-web.html

Jane

Forum volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the benefit of anyone reading, Adobe staff did set out a position in that other thread :

https://community.adobe.com/t5/the-lounge-discussions/waiting-for-linux-native-softwares-cloud-on-li...

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...and also in this Primary thread:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-ideas/p-provide-support-for-linux-2011/idi-p/1225...

I never expected Photoshop for iPadOS or Web, so we really don't know what Adobe will do in the future. We only know what they are doing and saying now.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never expected Photoshop for iPadOS or Web, so we really don't know what Adobe will do in the future. We only know what they are doing and saying now.

By @jane-e

Wait... So you think it may someday happend?

-SomeGuyInTheLaptop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guess would be that if it made financial sense for Adobe to direct resources toward supporting Linux, then they would.

Votes

Translate

Translate