• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Remove the 8192px limit on Save for Web

Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2013 Jul 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not allowed to save image with greater width than 8192px when saving for web. Seems like a silly arbitrary limit, imposed by Adobe. Please remove

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 112 Replies 112
112 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Original title with too much detail:

In the age of sprite sheets, surely it's time to remove the 8192px limit on save for web? Keep getting stung by this..

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now, we need more detail on just what you're trying to save, and what you are trying to do with those images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amending a massive sprite sheet for a website. Both standard & retina resolutions. Canvas size for retina is over 10,000 pixels wide.

Save for web functionality (required to compress the png sufficiently) does not allow saving of images wider than 8192px - it automatically scales them back to this maximum without much wanring.

Forced to save out using 'save as' function as a .png file then use external tool for compression - which does a much better job at reducing file sizes also BTW.

In the age of retina resolution images and using sprite sheets in CSS for larger sites, these limitations need removing, and photoshop's compression abilities also need to up their game.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, thanks for the background - that should make it easier to justify with product management.

FYI - Photoshop's PNG compression and SFW are the same - the difference is that SFW doesn't include metadata unless you tell it to. And Photoshop's PNG compression is still comparable to PNGCrush results, unless you include modes that Photoshop cannot support (like indexed transparency).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to know. Could be made easier in the UI. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 17, 2013 Oct 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed running into the same limit. I'm trying to slice up large backgrounds for mobile devices much bigger than the 8192px limit. Please lift this limit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 19, 2013 Oct 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you looked at Adobe Generator instead of Save For Web?

http://blogs.adobe.com/photoshopdotco...

(Check out the Loom SDK video, above, to see something neat with their sprite sheets or the StandIn example for Mobile, below)

http://blogs.adobe.com/photoshopdotco...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 28, 2014 Apr 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I found that this problem is still there.

I made a screenshot of a responsive site (>8192px in height) to make some quick modifications and I wanted to export the modified sections with slices but I couldn't due to this limitation.

Any fix expected?

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Aug 19, 2014 Aug 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe: When you lift the limit don't be stingy! I just ran into this wall unexpectedly. After checking my doc it was 23,195px tall. By emerging responsive standards it didn't seem unusually long when flicking through on a mobile phone. I would just give us more than anyone thinks we can use within the capabilities of your average modern workstation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 12, 2014 Oct 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found a small workaround on this issue. What Photoshop does is remember the settings of the last time you Saved for Web on your file by default. I've found that only when photoshop is remembering these settings, and your settings were for a png, will it prevent you from saving another png at 100%. But if you confuse it a bit, you can get around it. Basically, you have to change Photoshop's memory to a jpeg output instead of png.

Here's what I did:
Open file, Save for Web, change whatever settings photoshop is remembering to a jpeg output (quality level doesn't matter), then press Done. The UI goes away and you're back in your file. Now, go to Save for Web again. As you'll see, for some reason Photoshop will allow you to output a jpeg at 100%. (It might still say 33% or 54% or whatever in the Image Size box, but just ignore it.) Save your file and check the dimensions. If you need a png, you can do the above, but on your second time in the Save for Web UI change output to png. But, remember that the next time you Save for Web on that same file, Photoshop will not let you output at 100%. You'll have to change the memory to jpeg again.

The pixel dimensions on my project are: 725 x 24,164

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 15, 2014 Oct 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That workaround totally works! thank you. You've prevailed where Adobe have failed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 17, 2014 Nov 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh my friggin lord in heaven.
you sir deserve a medal.

i have been wrestling with this issue for 5 days now, and noone, but noone could help me out.

then your smashing post comes along.

long live the the internet...
and you my friend

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...by the way adobe's "Trouble signing in?"
is a festering mire of confusion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2015 Apr 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much Jordan! I was totally scratching my head on this one haha! ,)

Any idea how to get the % field to read 100% when saving a jpg for web (after following your instructions to trick PSD)?

My jpgs are indeed saving at 100%, but the image settings are still displaying lower due to the silly/antiquated maximum issue.

Thanks again!
Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 27, 2015 Apr 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure. I haven't worked on a big psd in a while now, but I remember when I was doing this before, the percent field was all over the place. I just ignored it, and did the math in my head.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2015 Apr 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for replying, Jordan! I really appreciate it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 10, 2015 Jun 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please keep in mind that "save for web" is also used by other fields as well to ensure a format that conforms to standards. If you save an image as PNG with the standard dialogue instead of using "save for web" you will get different results. We always use save for web to make sure there aren't compatibility issues. The same goes for Jpeg. You'd be surprised by how many people send me jpeg's wondering why it doesn't look correct in other software, and then I realize they saved a CMYK document as a jpeg. Save for web fixes those little accidents as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 07, 2015 Aug 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hit this with iOS Game asset creation. Some backgrounds, easily exceed this, especially for retina assets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 02, 2016 Mar 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just ran into this issue as well, and unfortunately was not able to get the workaround posted above by Jordan Tavenner to work. It kept overriding all my values to constrain to the 8192px limit, no matter what I did.

Thankfully, I did find another workaround that seems to be working reliably for me so far:
  1. Open the "Save for Web" dialog
  2. Change your output settings to the preferred format and quality
  3. DO NOT interact with the size inputs
  4. Click the "Preview" button in the lower left corner of the "Save for Web" dialog
  5. Photoshop will generate the image at your original dimensions and open it in a web browser
  6. Save out the generated image from the web browser
Beneath the generated image, Photoshop will even generate a summary of your output settings and dimensions, mine read:

Format: JPEG Dimensions: 720w x 14654h Size: 1.039M Settings: Quality is 60, Non-Progressive, Optimized on

That being said, given the ever increasing pixel density of displays, this seems a silly limit to continue to impose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Mar 03, 2016 Mar 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, in my experience, PNGs exported with Save for Web and tossed into PNGGauntlet still lose around 20% of their weight. My sample depth should be in the ten-thousands by now. So Mr. Darke's point might still be vaild, Mr. Cox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2017 Feb 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My team and I keep getting stumped by this arbitrary legacy limit. For many years, we have been using large PSD sheets to export screenshots for mobile platforms in various sizes, from one PSD. Case in point was a game which needed 5 screenshots with marketing copy, in 13 different languages, in 8 different resolution aspects, including the absolutely gigantic iPad Pro resolution. (That's 520 exports, btw).

There is no way we can fit all these aspects (8x5, Layer Comps takes care of the language overlay) into one PSD and have Save for Web work, although that would obviously have been a greatly preferable setup (one file to load, "only" 13 manual operations for export).

Adobe's insistence to dump Save for Web has left us scratching our heads, looking for other ways to automate this task. Obviously, Generator doesn't work, since it doesn't support Layer Comps, and as such would force us to include ALL 520 screens in one file. Ugh.

Have been looking into using InDesign, it almost might work, but would still necessitate the setup of a monster export document with 520 pages with non-uniform size. And it has its own infuriating arbitrary limits, like imposing a limit of a maximum of 10 pages side-by-side in Layout view.

I haven't found enough trustworthy documentation on scripting to consider it a safe alternative.

Does anyone have any ideas? Really, anything would be much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 03, 2017 Feb 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been a long time since I posted this problem. Since then I've mostly moved off of PhotoShop and into Sketch for web mockups. My team uses an online tool called invisionapp.com to show mocks to stakeholders. There is an option in InVision (free accounts available) which will let you save your source file to your project. All layers and artboards on a project are automatically extracted and turned into flat png images which can be viewed or downloaded.

A bit of a workaround if all you want is the flat images but completely leapfrogs the problem if you already use, or think you could use InVision.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 03, 2017 Feb 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I have an idea, but you might not like it. Before smart objects were useful I was creating a brochure for a company called impact athletic. It was something like 12-14 pages. But each had a graphic that had to be photoshopped onto a product a few times, some of which even needed to be warped onto a curved leg. Then each product also had 10 standard colors, and customers could request specific colors as well.
So I actually turned to after effects....for print work!
I loaded each page, then created some expressions that linked every color change to one color. Every "frame" of the animation was a different page, in order. I had a couple compositions, one in order for standard pdf, and layed one out as a spread. So All I had to do is set the intended color, change the graphic on One place, and render. A few seconds later all I had to do is compile the PDFs and and I was done.

I Don't think that AE has a size limit that's less than what your graphics card can handle, but that's likely something like 40k square. Shouldn't be a problem. Now, You can't export multiple sizes from one single composition. So instead, you'd need to set up a composition for each size, but you can mass export them all at the same time.

It may not work for your exact issue. I'm not exactly sure, but it's definitely something to look in to. If you aren't familiar with AE, then you'll definitely want to talk to someone who is. You can load your photoshop files in pretty useful ways that can help speed up setup. And organization will be important when working with 520 pieces.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2017 Feb 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Believe me, I considered the same thing, or at least something similar. I was thinking that size doesn't actually matter, as I could letterbox it in a flat color which could easily be trimmed away using an action. The biggest problem is that you can't individually name the frames, so I would be looking at some kind of scripted renaming... It may still be an option, though, if Photoshop doesn't offer us a solution, once the need arises again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate