• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Rotatable pattern fills

LEGEND ,
Jul 05, 2011 Jul 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.I'm a 3D Artist in the games industry. I like to use patterns alot for texture overlays and such. I love the ability to pan the pattern, or just swap out the pattern for a new one and keep the same mask when somethings not working (I love masks too).One qwirk however, theres no ability to rotate them without collapsing the pattern fill to a layer and doing it manually. Breaking my non-destructive workflow and ruining what i love about patterns. I am sure it wouldn't be too hard a feature to add, seeing as the gradient fill layer already has an rotation/angle implemented. This would save time and also keep my PSD's nice and tidy.I made a handy little gif that switches between pattern fill currently, and what would be desireable.Thanks.Chevy McGoram

Image is not available

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020
This feature has been implemented in Photoshop 2020 (version 21.2) released yesterday June 15th, 2020. Enjoy! And let us know any feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate
75 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2014 Sep 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@maxime

have you tried dragging the Pattern (on the image) while in pattern dialog?
This would make the offset request obsolete I think.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 10, 2014 Sep 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess that is another inconsistency.

Satin & Drop Shadow both use elements that are readily accessible from the dialog's controls. While Gradient and Pattern does not have any of these controls, preventing precise control over the changes and preventing the users from intuitively knowing that such feature is available.

In my case however, I do not need precision so I am really glad that this feature at least exist. Thank you very much for pointing that out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 16, 2014 Dec 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would really like this feature. I would use it on a weekly basis in the work I do and it would save me a lot of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 02, 2015 Feb 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would use it RIGHT NOW! 😉 Please add rotate-able patterns!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 26, 2015 Mar 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd love to be able to rotate patterns in the FX panel, it seems like something that would be relatively easy to code but I'm not a coder so I wouldn't know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 06, 2016 Jan 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am an architect/graphic designer. For anyone who works with patterns and plans/rendering/visualizations of urban environments/building/landscape ...The ability to rotate pattern overlays just seems forgotten. It would be an enormous improvement of my workflow. PLEASE add this option Adobe, I'm am losing my admiration for you guys if I see how long it takes to add this?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
Jan 06, 2016 Jan 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At this point, i think it's safe to say that we should all give up on hoping for a native texture/pattern creator in Ps. People have been writing plug-ins and 3rd party apps for decades now to compensate for what's missing in Ps.

On the bright side, at least we can render trees now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 03, 2016 Aug 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I would REALLY love the rotatable pattern overly feature to be implemented. I work with photoshop to create illustrations for picture books (and some editorial illustration too) and I have a wide selection of  watercolour paint textures. painted streaks etc that I have scanned in and use to add more of a tactile feel to the digital work I create.

Currently if if I want to have a streaky paint stroke texture rotated to an arbitrary angle I need to open the original texture file and drop it in as a masked layer on top of my original image layer. For textures that are horizontal I can use the pattern overlay tool which is far preferable as it's all 'inside' photoshop and can be found with one or two clicks.

Another issue for me is that I currently have to make multiple patterns for either horizontal or vertical strokes whereas it would be simpler (for me!) to have one pattern that I could rotate, just as I think someone els has pointed out, you can rotate the gradient overlay tool.

So basically, yeah, I'd love this functionality!

Thanks for listening!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 26, 2017 May 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like many architectural graphic designers out there, just wondering if this request is still being considered and if we might see it sometime soon?

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 17, 2018 Feb 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have a frequent use for this feature; instead of creating patterns in multiple different angles (tiling those can be frustrating), this would save a ton of time. I have this engraving technique that I use to make images look like those in bills of money, and to avoid moiré patterns, rotation is key.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2018 May 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,
rotating a Pattern Fill layer is just a small part of the things we would like to do with them, when we think about it. On my side, on Photoshop CC 2018, I cannot make the Styles work on them (is this only happening to me?)? It is not possible to apply filters on them without converting them. Any modification on the pattern requires to regenerate the pattern resource itself...

Let's thing about something else that would be a true non-desctructive easy-to-use easy-to-iterate approach. What if...

Anyone has used Smart Objects?

What if the pattern was a Smart Object? I mean, if on a Smart Object layer you had the ability to make it tile? You would then be able to rotate, scale, even skew it. You would be able to edit the pattern at will since it is an embedded document. Styles, Smart Filters...

It could look like this:

It would even be possible to make it repeat around the document:

Can you please tell me if that would be a good answer to your needs and what you think about this suggestion?

Thank you very much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 17, 2019 May 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One way to do it is to convert a Pattern Fill Layer to a Smart Object, which you can then Transform at will:

This also lets you scale the pattern without having it get so ugly.

A gotcha is that you need to Edit Contents for the SO  and increase the canvas size, to ensure it covers the full original. So my suggestion would be to have "Smart" Pattern Fill Layers, rather than the half-baked thing we have now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 24, 2019 Jul 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Please do it. Allow a simple rotation option. We can already resize... It would be soooo great to be able to rotate in the same time !

Thank you for you job

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 12, 2019 Oct 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really, REALLY, want to see this happen. Considering that it feels like my workflow gets messed up by an update about every quarter or so, I would really welcome a significant positive change.

Every other solution I could find to this requires about 10 steps and far more time than I would prefer spending on something that feels like it should have already been a feature, in some cases I've even had to recreate the pattern as a whole. I'm just glad that scaling is an option to change already.

If this becomes an added feature, I would hope that the following capabilities get added to not only Pattern Fills, but also Pattern Overlays:
  • Rotation
  • Transformations
  • Scale (if that isn't an option for Pattern fills... I know it's available for overlays, which I use almost exclusively when it comes to patterns)
  • Modes (E.G. Normal, Clear [for pattern overlays; it would be beneficial to not have to convert the shape into a mask to remove a pattern from a specific layer], Darken, Lighten, Overlay, Difference, Hue, Etc.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Adobe were ever to revamp Pattern Fill Layers (if ever!), another change I'd like to see is in the Scaling feature. As it is, it goes from 1% to 1000%, and allows only integer percentages. So, there's  999 possible enlargements, but only 99 possible reductions. Since enlarging a Pattern generally looks bad, I make most of my patterns large, and then scale them down as needed. I do this with Smart Objects, since the native Pattern Fill scale give horrible looking results. With Smart Objects, I can also use fractional percentages, and set the vertical and horizontal amounts independently, as well as choosing the interpolation type.

I'd also like to be able to easily put my patterns into a Library. As it is now, I have to save a tile as a graphic, and open and export it using Adobe Capture on my phone. We can drag Brushes to a Library, why not Patterns?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case you all don't know, Adobe acquired this developer last year:
https://www.adobe.com/products/substance.html

All future feature requests need to demand a 2D version of this which Adobe integrates into Ps. 
Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This feature has been implemented in Photoshop 2020 (version 21.2) released yesterday June 15th, 2020. Enjoy! And let us know any feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh my god, thank you. marry me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OOOOOOh, one of my oldest feature requests !!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you !!! That's going to change my life ! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YAY!!! I've been waiting for over 5 years for this!!!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe it, I posted this 9 years ago haha. That is incredible though, I really appreciate it all the same. Thank you Stephen and the Photoshop team! 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know about anyone else, but the actual rotation of the patterns are so slow as to make an otherwise great feature almost unusable.. This is both on a windows 10 2004 and macOS 10,14.

The rotation should be in real time, not after you release the mouse button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And the employed resample method seems to be on the »economic« side. 
See screenshot from left to right: 
• unrotated Pattern
• rotated Pattern
• rotated Smart Object containing the unrotated Pattern 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Another screenshot to illustrate how useless the interpolation quality makes the rotation for certain Patterns. 
Left the unrotated pattern, middle the rotated pattern, right a rotated Smart Object of the Pattern. 

And why is the angle value for the Pattern rotation negative compared to the rotation angle value of a Smart Object? 

Votes

Translate

Translate