• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: 'Save with history'

Explorer ,
Mar 09, 2012 Mar 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the save dialog in photoshop, you can check or uncheck: 'layers', 'as a copy' and some other options.

It would be nice if you could also check 'with history', to preserve your history while closing or sending a file.

In that way, other people that open your file can see the steps you've made, and you can get back to how you started a year after your project is finished.

It takes up some more space of course, maybe the application can show you how much of a difference in MB's it would take.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
38 Comments
LEGEND ,
Apr 30, 2016 Apr 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, Photoshop history is not a history of commands - Photoshop is not a metadata editor.
History in Photoshop is a lot of pixel data (which is why it takes up so much scratch disk space), plus some metadata.  No, it cannot simply be played back -  Photoshop is not that simple, and the file really would be huge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 30, 2016 Apr 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well there is the problem. Now they can find a solution and make everyone happy. But just to ignore it (and it is an issue that can be solved) is lazy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 01, 2016 May 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»Christoph appears to be a troll as much as anything useful.«
On what sample (of threads to which I have contributed) do you base that conclusion? 

Edit: 
»But just to ignore it (and it is an issue that can be solved) is lazy.«
Are you aware of the possible complexity of a seemingly simple thing like a brushstroke in a pixle based image editor? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Are you aware of the possible complexity of a seemingly simple thing like a brushstroke in a pixle based image editor? >

We all want do-overs in life.<G>

Has anyone talked about creating a new document from the current state, saving it as a separate file, then after closing the document you're working on, you can open both again and drag the history from the new document you saved off into the document you finished with, using the History brush to paint back with? You can do the same thing if you save a snapshot with merged layers, then save those snapshots you want before closing.

Maybe there's something there that Adobe can reasonably do to make saving these snapshot/documents easier at the end of the day. I don't know—target the snapshot (or better still, perhaps be able to target multiple snapshots) and go straight to Save As New Document, the way we save layers to files? We still have a responsibility to create the snapshots we think we might want to get back to, but if we messed up the face of our sitter, while the rest of the image was stellar, we could paint an intermediate stage back in from a saved snapshot, then fix just that, perhaps?

It wouldn't have to be all or nothing, where I highly suspect that means nothing, but just a little more convenient, no?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, saving snapshots (entire document states) is an interesting idea.
It's already possible to do manually, but I'm not sure if scripts or automation plugins have enough information to automate the process.

Could you write that up as a separate request topic?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 02, 2016 May 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I'll try to make sense of it. I know it can be done manually—but perhaps more out in the open and automatic would make it more convenient to use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 31, 2019 Oct 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could there be an option to make a second file for the history states to be available again but not getting the PSD file larger? a ".history" file lets say with all the needed data and a dialog box when saving "should photoshop save a history file?" 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 31, 2019 Oct 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know Affinity Photo does that, but not without making the file larger. How can you save an active history with all its states, such that you can continue to do/undo during another session without adding to file size? It IS optional with Affinity. You don't have to save every file with an active History, but file sizes can increase significantly, depending upon what you're doing.

I like the option. If you know you're still working on a file, saving it with History states active is helpful. It does have to be an option, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 11, 2019 Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DREAM ON... Would love it if there was a feature that when saving, the FULL HISTORY is preserved (Save w/History) with the .psd file so that when you open that .psd the FULL HISTORY is intact...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 02, 2022 Jan 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be very helpful if the recovery information included all history. When I am working on an image or several images, when my photoshop closes unexpectedly for any reason (power outage, windows update, crashes, etc.), I lose all the history from all the images. It does save the latest state of the images, but loses all history.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using cloud based documents the Version History panel in Photoshop might be useful.

Are you working out of something like Dropbox? If so, you might be able to access file history.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The history panel steps are temporary by design as they are held in RAM. I'm not a programmer, so I don't know if this could be done with a temp. file. I understand that this is an idea/feature request. The following points are just what can be done now...

You can log steps for record keeping using Preferences > History Log, but you can't "do anything" with them like you can the history panel.

Another option is to use a script to save multiple named/numbered versions (001, 002, 003 etc) at significant milestones.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 21, 2023 Mar 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Been using Photoshop since it was introduced. It would be nice to save the history when closing. I just keep the app open when I have to leave or go to bed and have to come back to it later. I think this is about a workflow of cause and effect for me. I jump back and forth within the history tab to compare adjustments countless times when printing proofs based on critical subjective critiques from clients when the color science does not deliver the goods.

Votes

Translate

Translate