• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Surface Dial support

LEGEND ,
Dec 24, 2016 Dec 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently acquired a Surface Studio with the Dial and there is quite a bit of potential in this new input device. Here's hoping you are already well under way integrating the device and these ideas are old-hat.

One of the great uses of the Dial is for controlling the Undo/Redo stack. Suggest tying History to the dial for a quick way to scrub through your actions.

Brush Size, Flow, Opacity are also natural properties that would work naturally with the Dial.

One of the nicest surprises with the Dial is in Microsoft Ink Workspace - there is a virtual Ruler that can be placed and oriented with the dial that also locks your stroke. This is such a great feature for perspective drawings and would love to see something similar for placing guides.

Scrubbing through Brush presets is also a welcome feature in Microsoft Ink Workspace - it only supports the 3 built-in brush types, but if Photoshop could allow for selection of a few favorited brushes through the dial, it would be very nice.

Thanks for reading.

Idea Released
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017
Photoshop CC now has tech preview support for the Surface Dial: Technology Preview features

Votes

Translate

Translate
35 Comments
LEGEND ,
Dec 24, 2016 Dec 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 09, 2017 May 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow. Can't believe both Adobe and Microsoft are missing the boat on this. First, no support from Microsoft by not including the '[' and ']' characters in their customization settings for the dial and second, Adobe not adding support. Sure hope this gets sorted before my 30 day return. I guess I was more excited than Microsoft and Adobe and adopted too early. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 05, 2017 Jun 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not missing anything......planned effort.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

too early .....miss the boat........you forgot contradiction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

great suggestions.  we should be able to accommodate you to some degree in the next release.  glad to hear you are excited about the dial too.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2017 Jun 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think they must have updated it in the meanwhile because I tried it today and there was definitely support for "[" and "]". (Having said that it's still a far cry from native support!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2017 Jun 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seconded and upvoted accordingly. I hope the Adobe guys can come up with a convenient way to switch between functions though. It would be cool to have some degree of contextual behaviour (e.g. brush size when using a brush, or zoom in/out when using the Hand Tool). On the other hand there should be some way to access undo quickly from all modes! A tough one, for sure. But if they nail it down it would really be added value. Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 27, 2017 Jun 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a major fumble of the football on Microsoft's part.  How can you even think about making a dent in the creative community and not support Adobe products?  This is worth taking the machine back.  Showing it work with the Microsoft program is totally misleading.  No one wants to learn a new software just to use a pen tool and a wheel.  It's not worth it and you might as well buy a Wacom Cintiq Companion.  Come on Microsoft!  The President of the Surface Division should be fired twice for ignoring the fundamental bait to lure users over to your tool.  Major fail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 28, 2017 Jun 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally Disagree....premiere work fine with it......and the undo is good for now . adobe made the CC apps touch compatible just for this equipment.....disagree!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a matter of work flow.  Just because you can get a few things to work does not make it fully compatible or even useful.  If you are coming from a Wacom workflow where you can customize everything, then this is frustrating.  I don't see the ability to add the bracket keys to the dial to adjust my brush size as someone stated.  I want to like it.  Hell, I purchased it.  If someone can show or tell me what I'm doing wrong, I will retract my statement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Native support looks like it will be so much better than setting up the keyboard shortcut custom tools, but I've got a couple of tools setup for Lightroom and am loving it already. Can't wait to see what's in store!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

of coarse adobe  will make touch/use better. MacOS will dwindle and iOS will became more powerful touch is it. love my studio!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2017 Jun 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding square brackets, I meant this:
Am I misunderstanding the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's what I'm looking for.  Where is that setting at?  I can't find it.  I'm pressing the window's button and going into the settings in the start menu.  Then going to the wheel settings.  Please explain where to find those settings.  Thanks! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open Settings, Devices, Wheel.  At the bottom of the screen, there is an App tools section. Click + to add an app, find Adobe Lightroom, and then click OK. Then highlight the app and click Customize.

Playing around with some simple customizations yesterday, I added 3 custom tools for Lightroom:
  1. Slider adjustment. In the develop module, it adjusts the adjustment slider that you have currently highlighted. Pressing the dial moves to the next slider.
  2. Navigate and pick. In the Library module this will move to the next photo. Pressing the dial will mark the selected photo as Pick.
  3. Module. Switch between modules - Library Loupe mode, Library Grid mode, and Develop module.

This could be so much better with Adobe writing specific functionality. Like the Module switcher could probably just show a list of all the modules and you could click and select the module on-screen. The Slider adjustment could show a list of all the adjustments to pick from.

I had some issues with the Slider adjustment. The adjustments are large jumps using the + and - keys. The shortcut key documents I found say to use the up arrow/down arrow for smaller increments, but those keys don't respond. I discovered I could hold [ALT] when scrolling the wheel, which makes micro adjustments, but also has an annoying feature of ringing the system bell.

I hope this helps! I'd be really interested to see what others have added.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I replied but it added my comment to the bottom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open SettingsDevicesWheel.  At the bottom of the screen, there is an App tools section. Click + to add an app, find Adobe Lightroom, and then click OK. Then highlight the app and click Customize.

Playing around with some simple customizations yesterday, I added 3 custom tools for Lightroom:
  1. Slider adjustment. In the develop module, it adjusts the adjustment slider that you have currently highlighted. Pressing the dial moves to the next slider.
  2. Navigate and pick. In the Library module this will move to the next photo. Pressing the dial will mark the selected photo as Pick.
  3. Module. Switch between modules - Library Loupe mode, Library Grid mode, and Develop module.

This could be so much better with Adobe writing specific functionality. Like the Module switcher could probably just show a list of all the modules and you could click and select the module on-screen. The Slider adjustment could show a list of all the adjustments to pick from.

I had some issues with the Slider adjustment. The adjustments are large jumps using the + and - keys. The shortcut key documents I found say to use the up arrow/down arrow for smaller increments, but those keys don't respond. I discovered I could hold [ALT] when scrolling the wheel, which makes micro adjustments, but also has an annoying feature of ringing the system bell.

I hope this helps! I'd be really interested to see what others have added.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have that ability on my Surface Book.  When I go to settings, there are no App Tool and there is no option to add an application specific function.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have that ability on my Surface Book.  When I go to settings, there are no App Tool and there is no option to add an application specific function.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you run Windows updates. You may need to install the Windows Creator update, which was a very large operating system update. 

Open the system settings, and look for your edition, version, etc.   I see version 1703, OS Build 15063.413.

If you aren't on that build yet, you can force it to download:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Geoff

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in this forum on another desktop or I would include a screenshot.  I have Microsoft remote accessing into my Book now.  We'll see, or this bad boy is going back to the store pronto.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you run Windows updates. You may need to install the Windows Creator update, which was a very large operating system update. 

Open the system settings, and look for your edition, version, etc.   I see version 1703, OS Build 15063.413.

If you aren't on that build yet, you can force it to download:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Geoff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Microsoft did a remote session and wiped my machine and it didn't work still.  After being on the phone with Microsoft for an hour now, it seems that I didn't have Windows Creator's version.  So they had remote wipe my machine twice.  We'll see if this works. Wtf?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wiping the machine sounds horrible, and unnecessary! Sorry that you had to go through that. I'm fairly confident you are on the right track, now. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate