• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Free Transform - ability to set Maintain Aspect Ratio as default

LEGEND ,
Apr 04, 2012 Apr 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Photoshop, it would be nice when "free transforming" a layer that the "maintain aspect ratio" lock button would maintain the previous setting, or some other way to set the default mode. I'm frustrated that I have to click it each time I'm resizing a bunch of items individually. Thanks.

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018
Hi Everyone,

Thank you for contributing to this discussion. Proportional transform is now the default behavior on Photoshop 20.0 with all but vector graphics. Photoshop 20.0 is available for download today. Please open the Creative Cloud app, download the update and let us know how it goes for you. If you do not see the update immediately, sign in and sign out of the Creative Cloud.

Thank you,
Hannah

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 181 Replies 181
181 Comments
Explorer ,
Dec 05, 2015 Dec 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simply making this STICKY would make EVERYONE happy! PLEASE, I thought this latest update might fix this CONSTANT problem for us design professionals! I am sick to death of having to click this button!

Is anyone listening to those of us using Photoshop since version 1.0?!?!?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 05, 2015 Dec 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, not MOST of the time but ALL of the time. When have you ever had a client ask you to distort their logo or product?!? This is the MOST frustrating issue with Photoshop and would make me the most happy if it changed. Please make it STICKY!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Dec 09, 2015 Dec 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good idea... 99% of all transformations use maintain aspect ratio. if you have a working day with 100 internet pictures, this would save time and concentration.
All recurring workflow processes could use shortened workflows by option (save JPG/TIFF as.... quality...comprimation). The image size window creates a time-robbing preview of the picture (must be made for beginners and is absolutely ennoying if you are under time pressure).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Dec 27, 2015 Dec 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris, John, anyone?

Will you take a second to respond in some manner?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 27, 2015 Dec 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's on the request list - there's nothing more to say for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Dec 28, 2015 Dec 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's all that needed to be said! Great news, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 16, 2016 Mar 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I click on this annoying chain, 142 times a day.
I waste exactly 11 mins a day clicking this on.

Adobe, why do you change the interface for usability. But not for saving designers time?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Mar 18, 2016 Mar 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then you'd have the opposite problem.

Look. This isn't a problem. The problem is that the user is forgetful or too lazy to click the lock.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look, this is a problem. The problem is not that the user is lazy or forgetful, but that the UI forces the user to repeatedly select the same action again and again. That's the problem, and simply put: that's poor UI design.

We're asking the UI accomodate a user preference, not force a predetermined setting. If you would never use it, it would not affect you and you probably don't get why it would be useful. But if you have been feeling the pain, like myself and others who have commented on this thread, then having a preference setting (whether global or sticky) would be a huge relief.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the shift+alt key!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read the past thread as to why this won't work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Mister Smarty Pants, first of all, shift+alt key doesn't even work. Whenever you try to do a free transform, the percentage at the top is never equal to each other even using shift+alt. It's always off by either a 1% and sometimes that's can distort logos and icons that are very small. The only way to resolve that problem is by clicking the chain.

I ask you to try this yourself and if by miracle you can get the H & W the same exact percentage without hitting the chain, I will come to your house and lick your fingers for magical essence. Because there's zero way you are helping this forum by commenting silly known solutions, than understanding the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Len Goforth, please get better out of this thread, if you are not interested. It's just making angry to listen to your unconsideted comments. If you haven't the experience right now to understand what's going on in many peoples practice, you will not get it here by long explanations. I'm deep in photoshop since 1994 and there's nothing new you could tell me... shift Key... LOL...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please just add the ability to "stick" to what it was last set to, just like every other option in the program. I can't imagine why this is such an obstacle for you guys to implement.

We don't have to chose "Point Sample" and "All Layers" for example, every time we click the Eyedropper Tool. We don't have to click the "Current & Below" evey single time we use the Clone Stamp Tool. We don't have to select "Path" every single time we use the Pen Tool, and so on and so on. No, they stay what they were last set to as does every other tool option in the program. It just doesn't make any sense, who could it possibly offend to have it stay where it last was?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

p.s. The transform has also a bug since 20 years(!): If you come too close to the borders of the canvas the transforming frame starts rapidly increasing itself and destroys your adjustment process... I think everybody knows this issue, but seems not to be worth to fix it for adobe...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Mar 19, 2016 Mar 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Speaking of annoying problems, I have four emails that say there's a response to this thread. FOUR. Now I have Unfollow every thread that I post something in. THAT is painful. I don't need 4 emails that advise me that someone replied to this thread. I ONLY NEED email notificationss when someone replies to my question or answer. Nor do you!

Talk about a waste of time! Adobe certainly doesn't have a grip on this aspect ratio 'problem', nor a grip on mulitple replies that don't even concern me!  Why don't you bitch about that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Apr 07, 2016 Apr 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When it comes to the logo design you have to perform well research. I work in a custom logo design service in Australia and that's what I learned from them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Apr 20, 2016 Apr 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not just allow the Scale command to lock aspect ratio then. Scale should probably be seperated from all of the other Transform sub-menu commands since they are all used for altering proportions.

As far as my grasp of English and general terminology, "scaling" something up or down is understood to be proportional. If anyone were to ask for a 1/80 scale model of a building complex for example, they would expect it to not be skewed or distorted. They would expect it to be identicle in every aspect except for it's size.

Just think about it at least.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 28, 2016 Apr 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MY god, how has this not been fixed yet??? SO OBVIOUS, YET SO DIFFICULT! Nothing a client loves more than an accidentally bastardized logo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 15, 2016 Sep 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ditto to all of these requests. I've been using Photoshop for around 18 years now. In the position I've held for the last three years, we make vehicle advertisements for the internet; so lots of logos, photos, and text that needs to be scaled quickly and proportionally.

Of course, I use the shortcut key (command-t, in my case) to quickly enter transform, and I've long been in the habit of holding "shift" while dragging a corner, but no, it's not precise.

It also doesn't help if the corners I need to drag are outside the screen area, at which point I need to:

- zoom out
- find a corner
- shift/drag the corner (or option-shift drag if you want it to shrink into the center)
- zoom back in to the previous view

Or:

- go up to the bar
- toggle the button
- enter a 30% or so value to get the image small on the screen
- grab a corner and scale it as needed

What I prefer to do is scrub the width or height number in the top bar. Much faster, but it also requires the click to get it to stay proportional.

Not a big deal, until you've done it 20-30 times in the last hour.

In the past month I worked on approximately 2881 images. At a safe guess, at least 2000 of them required proportional scaling of at least one layer, and as many as there are layers in the file. Lets go with a conservative average of 5 objects scaled per image.

If it takes one second to redirect my cursor and click the proportional button, that would be (1 click) x (5 layers) x (2000 images), for a total of 10,000 seconds = 166 minutes = 2 hours 46 minutes. Spent clicking a button. A button that could be set, by a preference, to a preferred state.

It's wasted time and I'm glad to hear that it's on the request list, as of 9 months ago. I just hope it actually shows up, and I wanted to add my voice and viewpoint to the debate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it really is on a request list shouldn't this topic be listed as "Under Consideration" rather than "Idea"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ABSOLUTELY! There aren't many things that I don't scale when placed in Photoshop and 99% of them I need to scale proportionally. Why can't Adobe give us a pref or at the very least a 'sticky' option for this button!

They keep trying to give us features we really don't need instead of production enhancers that would help us time wise more than all their new features. Adobe should listen to us old timers who have been using Photoshop since version 1.0! PLEASE give us this simple little request!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Sep 16, 2016 Sep 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When Adobe opened CC it was like Uber taking place of taxi cars pointing only on the larger markets with biggers profit margins.
So hte last 6 years I've been working on ways of using the crop tool the way my team needs.
Adobe doesn't even imagine its possible to do this but I have successfully create a bunche of scripts that are using the Transform tool in the way it receives the behavior I need for my team.

For example, nowadays I don't even use the native crop tool to my hiper-big image prodution.
For us, crop tool is made for beginners and for creatives that have few images to process in a day.

Our scripts are using free transform using our team ratio (that can be pre-set by the retoucher) as well the our crop permits integrate more info like metadata to builde dynamic over path grids according to the studio type and product type.
I could be naming more assets we are using in our production processes, but Adobe doesn't want to know. That is something not profitable and requires that they listen to big image production teams, wich they don't.

Instead, we have lots of companies editing ising tools for creatives and not for big image production processes.

Lucky are the guys from the video and press markets. They are somany that Adobe has already waken up years ago (profitable) and nowadays we have lots of assets to deliver faster and faster broadcasting, videos and PDFs and e-books.

The image mass production is not so. 

In my team I have my retouchers croping in photoshop using only 1 single click in some cases and 2 in others. And the crop script tool is using the Free Transform tool enabling automatic immediate re-cropping it if the retoucher miss or distorts an angle or skews.
The overlay grids over crops are design by us for our needs (we do not need Golden Ratio or Rule of Thirds,...).

Finally, what I mean is that companies like mine need to have developers specialized on photoshop scripts because Adobe doesn't deliver what they need.

Sorry I can't tell more about us, but that is possible to do in photoshop.
I do  not now if still will be in the next updates. And that's a big problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 17, 2016 Sep 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't listen Adobe.

We don't need productivity or workflow enhancements.

God forbid that we could work more efficiently or effectively.

What we want are more plugins like picture frames, fire and trees.

*sigh*

And you wonder why anyone who can is moving to Sketch?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Sep 17, 2016 Sep 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What we want are more plugins like picture frames, fire and trees.

+1

REQUESTS / IDEAS:
Please finally add an automated "BFF" stickers or filters for sharing selfies! Would love to get these posted on Behance INSTANTLY. Also, maybe a constant "Local Weather" ticker and you could make it so that we can't turn it off, ever. (fingers crossed on this one!!!)

That "maintain Free Transform blah, blah, blah", thing everyone wants, whatevs, who cares. Just focus on releasing new, not really finished, not really tested, not really likely to be used by anyone type features, please.

PRAISE:
Love when you rework standard Tool functions and operations after an update. We typically give everyone a full day off from projects to do some relearning, which we all love! A little "Adobe mandated brian exercise" we like to say!

Votes

Translate

Translate