• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop: Improve fractal noise filters (render clouds, procedural noise)?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2011 Mar 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something I would very much like to see in Photoshop is greater control over the fractal noise filters(Render Clouds). I particularly love the old KPT Noize filter, that had a great deal of control over the noise and scaling parameters that I would love to see in Photoshop. I also would love to see Chris Cox's Difference Noise incorporated in this. Thanks!
Idea No status

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
22 Comments
LEGEND ,
Apr 05, 2011 Apr 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, I wouldn't mind some improvements and new texture filters myself.
I just doubt that I'll have time for that on my schedule (too many features, too little time).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 06, 2011 Apr 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, when I see the number of procedural generators in After Effects, I'm jaleous!

And just looking at how many tutorials for textures start with noise or clouds, and now fibers, we can see where new ones would be useful. Perlin noise, fractals, etc. and more control, like in AE!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 05, 2011 Oct 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you give a link to Chris's Difference Noise?

I know that the market for digital Photography might be bigger than the illustration one, but the basic texture generators are like an endless source of images.
Getting them in Photoshop makes them standards.

And if we could control blending mode and opacity non-modally, while we adjust the settings of filters, it would be another creativity boost!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2012 Feb 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Feature request: More Fractal noise control. I would love to see a more robust Fractal Noise plug-in. I very much love the old KPT Noize filter (most of the later KPTs were rather silly; this was a gem!) A great deal of control over the nature of the noise, plus scaling, etc.

I would also like to see Chris Cox's Difference noise incorporated. Wonderfully complex textures. Again, adding scaling would be nice. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Feb 15, 2012 Feb 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll add my name to this feature request. As Pierre says, there just so many ways Clouds and fibres can be employed to creative ends.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 28, 2012 Jul 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I frequently use AE to make noise textures and export them to Photoshop. Something like AE's fractal noise filter in Photoshop would improve my life significantly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2012 Jul 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done this. Specifically Image Lounge's cloud filter. Scaling is a big deal. I am particularly impressed by the KPT implementation of features, so I would love to see that acquired. I also love the unique textures produced by Chris Cox's difference noise filter. Agin, I'd love to see scale added. I also use AE for Blur adjustment layers, as it behaves the way I want a blur layer to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 25, 2015 Jan 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DIfference Noise is a plugin filter I wrote back in college.
Yes, I still have the source, but I'll have to get rid of the 68k assembly code 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I enjoyed your entire set of filters. Skeleton and I believe erode were very useful for adjusting line art.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I really need to find time to update the rest and get them into Photoshop (you may have noticed that average, hairy noise, and a few others are already in there).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2015 Feb 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forget about removing noise...I want to be able to add it - non destructively and procedurally.

Would be great to see some procedural noise filters added to Photoshop.

Have a look at BerconMaps or Cinema 4D's noise...something like that would be killer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know you can do a basic add noise non destructively using the 50% grey layer set to Overlay trick?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Trevor,

Yeah I sure do and use that on most jobs. But the basic noise filter is very simplistic. I know there area few filters in filter gallery that can be combined to create something non-destructive but these are kludgy.

Look at Cinema 4D's noise shader interface below. Procedurally generated and non-destructive. Having something like that in PS would take it to the next level.

Cheers
Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 17, 2019 Apr 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i love this comment i think the same. photoshop its really sick versus After Effects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Apr 17, 2019 Apr 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case anyone wonders about the effect that Fractal Noise>Difference  applied.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Apr 18, 2019 Apr 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It ́s absolutely dissappointing that there is no improvement to the Clouds filter after all those years! Not to mention that there is no texture generator at all.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

KPT was decades ahead of its time, apparently...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

KPT! Oh man nostalgia. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is definitely one of my most wanted features. As a retoucher it is quite important to create natural looking textures from scratch. And improved noise filters would be a great help. And they would also help to incorporate variation like dirt, smudges etc. to existing photos. This is especially helpful when dealing with CG imagery which is usually to clean when it comes out of the renderer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe now owns a company which produces artificial texture and materials like no other. We've been waiting for them to allow us access since acquiring... 
This is linked to from within the CC desktop app under 3D & AR:
https://source.substance3d.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I totally understand your feelings about that. On the substance website they even advertise that as one of the features. I wish we would have access to at least a third of that noises in Photoshop ...

Votes

Translate

Translate