• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Select Sky in Photoshop is poor compared to Lightroom.

Engaged ,
Aug 10, 2022 Aug 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select Sky in Photoshop produces a poor selection compared to select sky in Lightroom. The only workaround is to use sky replacement and copy the layer mask from the sky replacement group then delete the sky replacement group. It would help my workflow if the select sky algorithm from LR were ported to Photoshop.

Idea No status
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
3 Comments
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An algorithm designed to work on raw data is not designed for pixels, so it probably would not... 😉

-

Making PS a plugin to ACR, so to speak (which takes 3 secs to open here), I expect will be leading to more and more pains like these... OTOH, I'm not asking to take the ACR filter out either... 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The image you see and manipulate in LR is demosaiced (is pixels) otherwise
it could not be displayed on a monitor. The difference is that LR records
the changes, not the changed pixels.

In any case, since the algorithm is already working in PS in sky
replacement so...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have not denied you are seeing pixels. I'm saying I suspect the algorithm in Lr/ACR is not working on pixels but on raw data, so you can't simply "port it" to PS. It's like asking, "Make my diesel engine run on water."

-

If — at some point in the algorithm — the techniques are very similar to getting it from a pixel layer, and the Lr/ACR version indeed has better logic, then yes, you can ask this — so let's assume that's what you're going for... 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate