• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Use arrow keys to bump selection boxes by a single pixel

Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2023 Feb 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using a screen capture software called ShareX and it's absolutely brilliant. Images, short videos, progammable hotkeys to capture a certain screen or region, and plenty of basic editing tools for blurring and drawing on screenshots before taking them.

I often have to take a screenshot of a very exact area, such as 64x64 pixels. But my hands are shaky and using the mouse for such a precise operation is difficult. However by pressing the arrow keys, I can bump the cursor by one pixel both before making my selection, and also while holding down the mouse during the selection.

I know Photoshop area selection has the Style: Normal, Fixed Size, Fixed Ratio. I also know that I can just zoom in really close for precise pixel operations.

But after using ShareX for so long, my muscle memory has ruined me. I often find myself using the selection box in Photoshop and being confused when the arrow keys don't do anything.

Here's a video of it in action-

And here's the tiny image I captured while demonstrating-

ShareX_-_Screen_recording_N6iWZ.png

Idea No status
TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
2 Comments
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh and yes I know selection boxes can be moved with the arrow keys after the selection has been made.

This idea is specifically for using the arrow keys during the selection. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not as precise as using the arrow keys, but one can move a selection during creation by pressing the spacebar and dragging a selection.

You can also use Select>Transform Selection after making an intial selection for much more control than dragging with the spacebar.

Votes

Translate

Translate