• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How tab between buttons in dialog boxes?

Explorer ,
Jun 20, 2021 Jun 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing I like about Photoshop is that a lot can be done by using the keyboard. This is a great time-saver for repetitive tasks.

For instance when I save an image and have to over-write a previous file, Photoshop defaults to the Cancel button. It's not possible to tab to the OK button, which I believe it is possible to do on Windows. Instead I have to lift a hand to the mouse, find the pointer and click on the button. When editing many files this becomes annoying.

Is this an OS limitation on Mac or can such tabbing somehow be done?

Thanks in advance
Philip

[please refrain from PII and 3rd party URLs in this area - Moderator]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the System Settings for Keyboard, enable All Controls unter the Shortcuts tab.  Then you can use Tab to move between macOS dialog box options and Spacebar to activate the selecetion.

The checkbox for All Access is at the bottom of the System Setting pane after you've chosen the Shortcuts tab near the top.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't see your reply when I started!

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

janee_0-1624206700812.png

System Prefs > Keyboard > Shortcuts > bottom of screen

janee_2-1624206944287.png

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 28, 2021 Jun 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both very much. Apologies for the delayed reply but I didn't receive an email notification of replies.

This is great, I wasn't aware of this functionality.

The one little thing that I have found, which may be of interest to some, is that there is a difference in behaviour between the Enter key and the Spacebar. For instance, if I choose Save As and am faced by a warning that a file is about to be overwritten, Enter will activated the defaulted all-blue Cancel button, whereas Spacebar will activate the OK button which has a thin blue line around it. At least this works on CS6 and High Sierra.

[please refrain from PII and 3rd party URLs in this area - Moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 28, 2021 Jun 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, Return or Enter should activate the default button in macOS dialog boxes whether or not Full Keyboard Access is set to All Controls or not.  Also, the Escape key or command period usually activates the "Cancel" button. 

In some cases, the first letter of each button name can be used as well.  For example, in the "Are you sure you want to shut your computer down" macOS dialog box, you can press "r" for Restart or "s" for Sleep.

Thanks for sharing your user experience, Philipus.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines