• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

(Photoshop 2021) Could not open .psd because it is not a valid photoshop document.

New Here ,
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There!

I am using Photoshop 2021 (PC), it was just updated to the latest version as of June 11th, 2021. When returning to newly created photoshop documents saved as .PSD files the program provides the error message Could not open .psd because it is not a valid photoshop document. This is an occurrence for both my colleagues and I, for files created in this recent version. We have tried reopening files from the programs recent list, selecting the file directly, as well as saving a copy of the file and opening the copy. Unfortunately, all these scenarios resulted in the same error message. We are beginning to think it is a bug with the software update and not the files. Any solutions out there would be welcomed and appreciated!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@AB1820 Other people have reported this problem as well and you can see related conversations on the right. There are a dozen things you have to try to go through the process of elimination. I know this is less than ideal when something always works and then it doesn't. I'm wondering: is this only happening with .psd files that you've newly created or with any .psd file. If you ask someone else remotely to send you a .psd file can you open it successfully?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@J E L thank you for responding, I have read through those other posts, while their issues were similer many were either unresolved for older application versions or were corrupt files. My issue is with this latest version of Photoshop. Only new .psd files created under the new version are received this error message. All .psd files created under older versions of photoshop have no issues... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @AB1820,

I HATE it when that happens.  😞

Try Resetting Photoshop Preferences.  See screenshot.

Also move the PSD file to your primary hard drive, not a networked or cloud drive.

image.png

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines