Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sudden change of color display

New Here ,
Oct 01, 2020 Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After re-opening photoshop, the display colors are now different

between windows picture display software and photoshop.

i've opened the picture om other computers and the display in photoshop and the windows display doftware are the same to the windows software display on my computer.

what has gone wrong with my photoshop ??

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop is color managed and uses your monitor profile to correct for the defects of your monitor. As long as the profile is good, Photoshop will always display correctly.

Windows "Photos" is not color managed and just ignores the monitor profile. That means it will display according to whatever characteristics your monitor has, and it will look different on different monitors.

In other words, Photoshop and Windows "Photos" are not supposed to match, and never will. Photoshop is right, Windows "Photos" is wrong.

All this assumes that you have an accurate monitor profile. This is what calibrators are for - but if you don't have one, you're probably getting generic manufacturer profiles distributed through Windows Update. These profiles are often bad in several ways and a calibrator is the only way to have this under full control.

However, I don't see anything in your screenshot that indicates a seriously defective profile. This is probably within what can be expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you for your replay.

i'm using spyderx to calibrate my screen.

however, up until a few hours ago, the picture display was the same between windows 'photo' and photoshop. it has changed when i re-open photoshop.

when i'm using photoshop on other computer, windows and photoshop are the same...

i probably done something i shouldnt...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"until a few hours ago, the picture display was the same between windows 'photo' and photoshop."

They shouldn't be the same, that's my whole point. If they're the same, that means color management in Photoshop isn't working as it should. We already know it's not working in "Photos", for the simple reason it's not supported at all.

You cannot use "Photos" as reference for anything. It does not display the file correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @defaultwv8wu1fh39vc ,

You're not crazy this happened to me too after a Photoshop update a few months back. Not sure if it's the same exact problem but I'll share what I can.

I contacted suppport and was given the same rundown. I'm pretty sure I tried a clean re-install too. I think a Photoshop rollout changed a color display setting to default so everything was very yellow. I can't remember exactly what I had to change (had to play around and do some Googling) but I'll screenshot my settings and maybe they'll be of use to you. I believe it was something had to be flipped back to Monitor or the sRGB colorspace.

I'm also running Windows Pro 10 Photoshop v 21.2.4 (latest)

Cheers!

color_01.PNGcolor_02.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 02, 2020 Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Malory, your problem was a defective monitor profile, coming from the monitor/laptop manufacturer and distributed through Windows Update.

It has nothing as such to do with Photoshop. It uses whatever profile it gets from the operating system - but if the profile is bad, Photoshop can't display correctly.

People usually blame PS updates, but forget that we all tend to run all available updates at the same time. If you update Photoshop, chances are you're updating Windows at the same time.

However, there is nothing in defaultwv's screenshot that suggests an outright broken profile. Yes, it's possible, but the difference is fully within what can be expected in a color managed vs. non color managed application.

If the OP suspects a bad monitor profile, he should look at his Spyder, not Photoshop.

And one more important point: Don't ever "experiment" with Photoshop color settings unless you're confident you know what you're doing. It's not where the problem is. Monitor profile problems are not fixed here; they are fixed on system level.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 02, 2020 Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@D Fosse 

Ah thanks.. just trying to help another user by suggesting possible solutions/workarounds that worked for me, though a bit fuzzy. I'm sure there's a more polite way to have said, "I don't think that's OP's issue." I initially missed the attached image and was just going off text. After viewing the image, you're likely correct about it being a Photos display. But it doesn't hurt to compare settings!

I'm not here to hijack this thread with my issue (that's fixed), but the Photoshop update was the only variable that changed for me. I personally wouldn't be so quick to trust software updates nor assume so much about a user's experience. Things break. Half my job is researching & experimenting in order to learn & troubleshoot software. PS is an easy system wipe. Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 04, 2020 Oct 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Display profile issues on Windows

At least once a week on this forum we read about this, or very similar issues of appearance differing between applications.

Unfortunately, with Microsoft hardware: Windows updates, Graphics Card updates and Display manufacturers have a frustratingly growing reputation for installing useless (corrupted) monitor display profiles.

I CAN happen with Macs but with far less likelyhood, it seems.

The issue can affect different applications in different ways, some not at all, some very badly.

The poor monitor display profile issue is hidden by some applications, specifically those that do not use colour management, such as Microsoft Windows "Photos".

Photoshop is correct, it’s the industry standard for viewing images, in my experience it's revealing an issue with the Monitor Display profile rather that causing it. Whatever you do, don't ignore it. As the issue isn’t caused by Photoshop, don’t change your Photoshop ‘color settings’ to try fix it. 

If you want to rule out pretty much the only issue we ever see with Photoshop, you can reset preferences, I never read of a preferences issue causing this problem though:

To reset the preferences in Photoshop: 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

Note: Make sure that you back up all your custom presets, brushes & actions before restoring Photoshop's preferences. Migrate presets, actions, and settings

To find out if the monitor display profile is the issue, I recommend you to try setting the monitor profile for your own monitor display under “Device” in your Windows ‘color management’ control panel to sRGB temporarily. You can ADD sRGB if its not already listed. 

And be sure to check “Use my settings for this device”.

(OR, if you have a wide gamut monitor display (check the spec online) it’s better to try Adobe RGB here instead).

Quit and relaunch Photoshop after the control panel change, to ensure the new settings are applied.

NB__colourmanagement_0-1601801635336.jpeg

If this change fixes the issue, it is recommended that you should now calibrate and profile the monitor properly using a calibration sensor like i1display pro, which will create and install it's own custom monitor profile. The software should install it’s profile correctly so there should be no need to manual set the control panel once you are doing this right. 

Depending on the characteristics of your monitor display and your requirements, using sRGB or Adobe RGB here may be good enough - but custom calibration is a superior approach.

I hope this helps

if so, please "like" my reply and if you're OK now, please mark it as "correct", so that others who have similar issues can see the solution

thanks

neil barstow, colourmanagement.net :: adobe forum volunteer

[please do not use the reply button on a message in the thread, only use the one at the top of the page, to maintain chronological order]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines